Propane Tank for gas grill : refill-exchange programm or fill-it-myself?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Propane Tank for gas grill : refill-exchange programm or fill-it-myself?

I never had use for the larger propane tanks till now - had always used the mini tanks with camping stoves.

Now I that I need to get the 20lb tank, I notice that HD has a tank exchange program: $49 for an AmeriGas tank+gas, and $20 for subsequent exchanges, which effectively means $20 for the gas within, presumably 20lb by weight.

I also see they sell an empty cylinder for $30, which I have to fill/refill at propane filling stations located in the neighborhood (not as many as a gas stations, but still within 7 miles). Googling around tells me that a gallon costs $2.50, and weighs 4lbs, so a 20lb refill is really 5 gallons = $12.5 (keep me honest folks, if I'm off the mark anywhere).

So, is there any tangible reason for or against either approach? Is there really savings to be had by self-filling? Or is the Exchange program at HD good for its convenience? I see reviews where people complain about getting less than a full-tank of gas from HD; but maybe that can be avoided if one's careful picking the replacement?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sounds like the exchange program is more convenient but costs about 50% more. THat sort of makes sense.
    As is often the case, you trade less convenience for reduced costs.
    I don't know how easy it is to fill it yourself.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

We have a lot of places around here that do the exchange (HD, Lowes, gas stations, and supermarkets) but I can't think of a single place that will fill it for you. I know they were around when I lived in NJ but not here. Anyway, with exchanges most times you won't have the luxury of comparing the tanks. At HD and Lowes, if their system is working, it's self-help and the cage opens one door. You swap tanks yourself and go. Most times you pay the cashier and then someone does the exchange for you. Unless you're *that* guy, they aren't going to wait around while you find the heaviest tank.

The cheapest I've seen an exchange is in the off season. Probably $15-$17. Summer time I've seen it as high as $30 but I went somewhere else. If I could consistently pay $12.50 and didn't have to go too far out of my way, I'd get my tank filled. I also keep a spare full tank just in case. Not sure if or how much gas it loses over time, though. When your tank gets rusty, then do the exchange for a clean, filled one and continue to have it filled.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
        So, is there any tangible reason for or against either approach? Is there really savings to be had by self-filling?
        One consideration is that the fillers and gas supply houses will usually only fill a tank that is within certification, which general lasts a year or two. With the exchange program, you are getting a certified tank. Might make sense to start with the exchange, refill in between, then exchange again when the certification is close to lapsing.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I must be the lucky one. I have a local place that refills my tank for $12. Never had an issue with certification or anything and it's been 3-4 years that I've gone there.
          Joe

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I didn't even realize there were places you could fill it yourself. I always just do the exchanges, fresh and non-rusted tank each time.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

I prefer the you own your tank and fill/shop for the best price. In CT BJ's wholesale club is the best I have seen. For years I have had several tanks and managed the inventory in a spreadsheet. Any tank > 12 years old will not be filled by most stations. I like having up to date tanks with built-in gauges and none expiring in the same year. I am currently only managing 4 tanks now and one will go to recycle when it is done. Spares are kept on hand for power outages weather camp stove or generator.

Comment

• mineengineer
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

A lot of the prefilled exchange tanks are not full they only have about 16 or less pounds in them while the filling station places will put in a full 20 pounds for less $ than the exchange places. If you look closely at the exchange tanks they just clean them up and repaint them. Best way is to get a new tank and then get it refilled or pick out a nicer newer tanks at an exchange and then get those refilled at a station.
                Link

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I had one 20 lb tank which we received when we purchased our gas grill several years ago. Then I added a second 20 lb tank which we purchased as an 'exchange' tank. We'd swap back and forth using one of the exchange retailers in our area (Walmart, HD, local super market; most exchanges around here are "Rhino Gas"). I like have a back-up tank as it seems that when we do run out, it's right in the middle of cooking.

Then one day when I was about to purchase another exchange, this guy stops me and tell me that I can get it refilled down the road a mile or two, for less than half the price. Sure enough, and now I go to our local Warner's Gas Service.

The thing of it is, almost every 'exchange' tank utilizes only about 2/3 of the tank. Not sure why that is, but while I used to use two tanks to just get me through the summer, now I'm using two tanks that lasts me almost the year. During the summer we cook out almost every night, and in the winter, at least once a week.

It's been about three years since the last time I bought an exchange and I believer they were close to $30 for a significantly-less-full tank. I refilled our last tank just before Christmas and it cost me about $11.

I like having my own tanks, as I take good care of them. While the exchange tanks seem okay, I did have a problem one time with some nicked-up thread. My LP supplier always checks the tanks whoever brings them in and they've become pretty friendly over these past few years.

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 03-11-2016, 11:54 AM.
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                    One consideration is that the fillers and gas supply houses will usually only fill a tank that is within certification, which general lasts a year or two. With the exchange program, you are getting a certified tank. Might make sense to start with the exchange, refill in between, then exchange again when the certification is close to lapsing.
                    This is what I've done for several years. I have 2 20lb tanks, 1 in the grill and a backup to swap in when needed. (Tractor Supply and Costco are both good places for refills.) Refills do take longer than simply swapping a tank, but the cost savings is ~ 40% or so. Also, FWIW both Tractor Supply and Costco only charge for the amount of gas that they actually fill. So, if you only have 1 tank and you're worried that it might not last the weekend - you can get it topped off and not lose out by exchanging with a full tank.
                    Last edited by os1kne; 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM.
                    Bill

Comment

• ballard770
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2016
                      • Washington State
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I would go for buying a new tank - Costco seems to have a good price. Get it refilled at a propane dealer or gas station/hardware store/farm store that sells propane paying by the gallon. If I understand correctly the tank exchange generally gives you about 4 gal instead of the 5 gal that the tank will hold. They claim that the lower amount is for a safety reason filling to only 80 % capacitiy but the new tanks have overfill protection devices (OPD) that will allow 5 gallons to be filled in the tank and there is a built-in safety protection. Actually it is a way that they can charge you a lot more for the propane than you realize. If you buy a new tank be certain to check the date on the tank as they are good for a period of time from manufacture - 10 years or? If you get an older but new/unused tank the life of the tank depends on the mfr date not the date of purchase.

Additionally, I have heard the some of the exchange tanks may have been modified so that it is impossible (or difficult) to refill them at a propane outlet (propane dealer, service station or?). The trade-in tank services want to keep the business to themselves.

I am located in NW Washington and our small community has several outlets selling propane for $2.49 - 2.99 per gallon. A few miles away there are two farm stores selling propane for $1.49/gal and often when we are heading out with our RV we will get propane at the farm store.

There are people selling kits to refill the 16oz 'disposable' propane tanks from a 5 gallon tank but I personally would not go that way. There are however a couple of companies manufacturing refillable 16oz propane bottles but they are spendy but may be an option if you want smaller bottles for lanterns or grills while camping. That way you can have the 5 gallon tank for home use and the smaller refillable bottle for camping/picnics.

Lee

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

I have 3 tanks one for the grill one for the smoker and a spare just in case. I always get them refilled unless I really have no choice. As others have said the cost of the gas is much cheaper and when you refill you do get a known full tank. When you exchange they are rarely full. The other benefit is somewhat similar to the rental car fuel scam where you can pre pay for a full tank instead of just bringing it back full and the rental company gets your unused gas!. If its July 3rd and you have a big cook out on the 4th you dont want to run out. SO even if you have a quarter full tank you can get it topped up at a refil station but if you exchange you loose the gas left in the tank.

To be refilled, tanks do need to be new or certified with a certain number of years. IIRC I think its 12 years. You can either pay to get them retested and certified or just go get an exchange refill for a tank thats dated as new as possible. I just did that with a tank that was just our of date and switched it for a tank with a Manufacture date of 2015 so that has another 11 years left.

Many Uhaul locations also do propane refills.
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Of course, the ease of swapping an empty cylinder for a full one would sway my wife totally. I myself would not mind the extra dollars for the convenience, if I did not have to worry about the uncertainty: a sizeable number of reviewers have complained that they did not get a full cylinder, or even half. That would bug me.

I went checking today, and found Walmart has their own exchange program: $50 for the first time - a cylinder+propane (20ob), and then $16 for a refill. But their process is severe: I pay inside, go out, show the receipt, and they load a cylinder into my car.

While at Walmart, somebody tells me BJs have one too - except that they refill my cylinder for me, for around $12. I'd like that, if true - I'll pop into a BJs and check it out later.

The other thing that bugs me: those small, throw-away propane cylinders of 16oz? Those are not recycled! No store takes them back for recycle or reuse - not HD, nor Walmart! They tell me - throw it away in the trash!!! I cringe doing that. Anybody found a better way?
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I've been filling the small 16oz propane throw away cylnders for 40 yrs without a problem for camping, hunting and backyard activities. Fact is I still have a couple of small cylinders that could be that old.
                            The cylinder refill industry is the biggest scam next to Smiling Bob. Shorting everyone that purchases from them has made them a bundle and every small propane company is falling all over themselves to get in on this business. I'm just waiting on someone to organize a class action lawsuit and maybe make them pay for their wrongdoing.
                            The only redeeming thing about the cylinder exchange service is you can swap out cylinders with old style valves for new style valved cylinders. You can also swap our your old nasty or rusty cylinder for a new clean one. ( hardly worth the $5 they steal from every customer that gets a "full" cylinder )
                            capncarl

Comment

• gerti
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Tanks are certified for 12 years from manufacturing date (stamped into the handle part), then they can be recertified for another few years. Exchange tanks tend to not be full, why for refills many places fill it until the shut-off valve (kind-off like a fill valve in a toilet) cuts off, or they go by weight.

Many gas stations do propane refills around here.

Comment

Working...