• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Unmarked police cars

I have never seen such a variety of unmarked police cars until I moved to MD. Several years ago while driving up 95, I saw at least 3 different kinds in one day--Dodge Magnum, Ford Mustang, and I don't remember the last but it was domestic--maybe a Jeep. The county and city police around here have more recently favored the Chargers for both marked and unmarked, but I also know there's some kind of pickup with a rear cabin that's unmarked. However, tonight was the first time I saw an unmarked minivan. What actually was more surprising was that it was a Toyota Sienna. For the life of me, I don't think I've ever seen a police car in the US that wasn't from a US manufacturer. My Hyundai Santa Fe was made in AL so I guess it still gets the Made in the US stamp (with foreign and domestic parts). I guess the Sienna could be the same.

Anyway, what kinds of unmarked police cars have you seen?
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Our police force uses seized drug cars for whatever they want. The most unusual was a couple of Jaguars. The smallest was a Pinto that saw used for undercover drug cops. Our local Sherrif has a 4 door Ford F-150. Trucks make sense for hauling barricades and other police stuff.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Quite a few Ford Expeditions around here, bot marked and unmarked. These are MDOT (Mississippi) Highway Patrol and DOT-truck checkers. Local police use dodge as much as anything else. Some Fords in use.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I worked for the California Highway Patrol for 38 years and for 25 of them I was involve with equipping Black and White Patrol Vehicles which included Sedans Pickup, SUV's these had all lights on the roof and Decals. For a number I worked in special projects where we did the unmarked vehicles, everything from Toyota Camrays, to Armoured Personnel Carriers (SWAT) and everything in between It a challenging and fun job trying to hide all the equipment. Can't tell you the secrets as they still use a lot of them. Before my time there were a few Semi Tractor Trailer rigs around also.

Tom

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          Our police force uses seized drug cars for whatever they want.
          Maryland does that too, and that might be the source of the cars OP observed. I-95 runs through Maryland and is apparently a major drug route, so probably lots of opportunity to seize drug vehicles.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
            . . . Before my time there were a few Semi Tractor Trailer rigs around also.

Tom
            Memphis TV news station, around Thanksgiving: Tennessee is using Semi Tractors around Nashville to ride around and easily look down to people TEXTing and using their cell phones while driving.

I know a couple of roads in Memphis that they could make a few patrolmen's salary just by being there!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I hope the police in my area don't get semi's. They are the most guilty of distracted driving. This photo is how most of them operate, along with the console mounted computer that they constantly fiddle with and the new forward and rear cameras that read everyone's license plate and give a readout for it. If anyone needs a driverless car it will have to be the police!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	787521

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Man, an unmarked semi! That's got to make a statement when getting pulled over.

Our local police have gotten much better about not being on the phone while driving. I'm not sure why they wouldn't use a hands free device. Maybe there's a mic in the car that would hear both sides of the conversation?

There was an interesting cell phone sting about a month ago in the swanky part of our county. Cop dressed up like a panhandler holding a sign that said something like "We're doing a hands free crack down" If he saw people on their phone, he'd radio ahead to cops down the street that would pull them over. It was a good haul.

In SE Asia, you see a bunch of little Toyotas and such as police cars. Over here, they definitely tend towards the muscle car.

Comment

• schloff
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Southern Middle TN
                  • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Madison Alabama has a Vette, marked on one side. Obviously a confiscated machine, but pretty cool nonetheless. I like the idea of repurposing various confiscated items, if due process is adhered to and the specific item was proven to be used in the crime.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

See Camaros and various pick ups used around Austin by the highway patrol. They also have a some semi tractors. Arizona used to have some beat up old vans to run speed traps on I-10. Best I've seen was a mid 70's Pontiac with Hawaii plates in Beaufort, SC in the late 80's.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                      I hope the police in my area don't get semi's. They are the most guilty of distracted driving. This photo is how most of them operate, along with the console mounted computer that they constantly fiddle with and the new forward and rear cameras that read everyone's license plate and give a readout for it. If anyone needs a driverless car it will have to be the police!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]22389[/ATTACH]
                      I have never seen a Texas DPS logo that looks anything like that. Looks like a Photoshop job to me. Not that it is a particularly bad one, and you have a perfectly valid point!
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JeffW
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                        I have never seen a Texas DPS logo that looks anything like that. Looks like a Photoshop job to me. Not that it is a particularly bad one, and you have a perfectly valid point!
                        Probably driven by civilian employee, not Highway Patrol. DPS has several divisions that are not sworn officers. I think that when were audited by their records division the auditor had a vehicle with markings like that.
                        Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

A couple of years ago there was an incident in SoCal.

Bicyclist traveling in a bike lane on a straight stretch of country road on a weekday afternoon. No traffic, sunny weather. 62 year old male, salt of the earth, retired businessman.

Veteran LA Sherrif's Deputy with good service record. Pursuing leads in an investigation, driving a black and white between locations, not speeding, not reckless, no lights, no siren.

Cruiser hits bicycle from behind, cyclist dies at the scene. Investigation reveals no alcohol or drugs in either party, but deputy was definitely fiddling with his dash-mounted computer. No charges.

The California distracted-driving law specifically ecempted peace officers. There was quite an uproar over this case.
                          JR

Comment

Working...