• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
    I agree with All Thumbs and do not want to be the grumpy old man complaining that someone walked on my lawn! I am glad they are learning to use the technology, like we were with CB radios. That approach stops when the drones become annoying and dangerous like the kid zooming down the street on his loud go-kart. I won't attempt to shoot it down until they put a mechanical hand on it and come grab a steak off the grill or a piece of fried chicken off the table.
    capncarl
    Interesting you should mention CB Radios... I am pretty sure most folks are aware that even though they are illegal, many CB users have used what were known as "linear" amplifiers, to give their signal gain far and above what was possible with the FCC regulated 4 watts. I have heard of 1600+ watt amps on the black market. Mostly converted ham radio amps.

I recall hearing stories of linears messing all sorts of RF signals up due to their "Splatter", or resonant bleed over into adjascent bands, and those bands that are even multiples etc... of the frequencies...

Makes me wonder, could the control signal for a drone at low altitude be overwhelmed by a CB or Ham operator using a high power amp?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
      I have been getting advertisements for camera drones for well over two years to three years. The Parrot Drone, controlled by either an android phone or iPhone was released in 2010 and news about that one made quite a few tech news reports. These were more limited range - maybe 100 yards or so. Those were about $200 - $300 IIRC.
      I have one of these. It's essentially a glorified toy- not much range, the cameras are not of sufficient quality to be an invasion of privacy, etc. They're a lot of fun to fly. I don't make a habit of flying it over other people's houses although I do take it above the street in our neighborhood, which is perfectly legal (unlike firing a weapon within city limits).

It's the people with the bigger, beefier, more expensive ones that are causing problems. And of course you only hear about the problem ones, not all the ones that aren't getting into trouble.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Not likely, as the frequencies that I've read are up in the GHz range. There is the 23 cm Amateur Band, which has a top frequency of 1.3 GHz, but that is significantly lower than operating frequencies reported in the article that I linked to in an earlier post. Those frequencies were 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. CB radio is down in the 11-meter band, with frequencies in the range of 27 MHz.

As you mention, there are limits on the amount of power that can be transmitted and in both CB and especially Amateur Radio, there are pretty stingent restrictions on transmission bandwidth with regard to what CBr's refer to as "splatter". For example, a Ham Radio Operator really cannot operate at the very edge of any assigned frequency band. The bandwidth of their transmission MUST remain within the band, so say the band edge is 28 MHz (10-meter band bottom edge), and your transmission is 6 KHz wide, your lowest useable frequency would be 28.3 KHz, otherwise you'd be causing interference in the CB band. No Ham wants to get a letter from the FCC... and the Amateur bands are (or at least used to be) policed rather well.

(Though I hold a valid "Amateur Extra" license, I confess to not operating for several years now. So, I may well not be up on current frequencies and limitation.)

So, interference from either hobby would be highly improbable. IMO, and in all likelihood, RF interference could only accomplished by using a frequency meter/receiver to identify the control frequency of the the drone and then modifying your controller to intercept. Only if the drone continued to violate your privacy would this even be thinkable. Political avenues would be a better path, and some mechanical method would probably be a last, desperate resort.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I would think sooner or later there will be some laws past concerning Drones and privacy especially in regards to people yards and houses. There is a difference using a drone without a camera but if you fly it over my house/yard with a camera and start hovering or act like you are peeking in windows or taking video or pictures in my yard there will be a discussion. I think we all have a right to privacy and back yards are not public property. Wait until some Politician or Celebrity has a problem with a drone flying over their back yard during a party or fundraiser, all **** will break loose. When the neighbor from an earlier post took one down the people flying live on the street behind and across the street form the neighbor behind us typical medium sized city lots. This no accident it was deliberate and wasn't the first time. These are a bunch of wise arse young adults and are jerks in general.

Tom

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

If you can't beat them, join them...

If the drone starts becoming a frequent flier and a nuisance. Just buy a super cheap drone and use it to become a kamikaze drone.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
              Makes me wonder, could the control signal for a drone at low altitude be overwhelmed by a CB or Ham operator using a high power amp?
              No, they are widely different frequency bands. In addition, the drone signals for even moderately priced drones are coded, so that they don't interfere with other drones, but this gives the side benefit of making the signals very resistant to jamming signals.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Did anyone see on the news yesterday the plane that ran into the hail in flight? Windshield looked like it was shot up, I don't think you could see out of it, the plane nose looked like it hit a brick wall. They landed ok. I bet the pucker factor was off the chart. Unbelievable that the engines could ingest that much ice and still work. Ok, where am I going with this? Illegal to use guns to shoot down drones so shoot them down with a wrist rocket sling shot using ice cubes! The ice would melt before the neighbors could figure out what is peppering their roof! No evidence what knocked the rotors off the drone.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

CnC, I remember a movie that a fellow used Ice Bullets that were kept deep frozen (and the gun cold) until he was ready to shoot and then he loaded one an shot. 100 or 200 ft. No trace of a bullet, just a bullet hole. Seems like something for Myth Busters to give a try.

Good idea using ice cubes though!
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

Guys, can we put this in perspective?

I've attached a pic from a buddy of mine that has an expensive drone with a high quality camera. This pic was taken from about 250ft off the ground, which would probably seem "low" to you guys on the ground. Do you really feel privacy is being invaded here?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Cool. What kind does he have? Phantom, inspire, home made?
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
                          Cool. What kind does he have? Phantom, inspire, home made?
                          I believe he put it together himself with misc parts he ordered.

Comment

• vaking
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
                            CnC, I remember a movie that a fellow used Ice Bullets that were kept deep frozen (and the gun cold) until he was ready to shoot and then he loaded one an shot. 100 or 200 ft. No trace of a bullet, just a bullet hole. Seems like something for Myth Busters to give a try.

Good idea using ice cubes though!
                            I remember episode of Mythbbusters doing exactly that. This myth was busted. If you use ice bullets with gun-powder - bullet will melt before it leaves the barrel.
                            You might have a chance using Co2 gun or a sling shot.
                            Alex V

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

A drone would not stand a chance in my neighborhood. If it stays still long enough a mocking bird is going to land on it and take a crap!

Comment

• jussi
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jan 2007

You could always use paintball guns

Originally posted by vaking
                                I remember episode of Mythbbusters doing exactly that. This myth was busted. If you use ice bullets with gun-powder - bullet will melt before it leaves the barrel.
                                You might have a chance using Co2 gun or a sling shot.
                                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...