Doc wants me to do something I don't want to...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

It's probably different for different people but personally I didn't lose very much weight and more importantly fat when I only focused on diet and cardio. Initially I was an atkins diet and ran on the treadmill and the weight and fat loss was very slow and very frustrating. Not to mention being hungry and mad most of the day. I then decided to add some weight training and the fat burned much faster. One large advantage imo of weight lifting is the after burn.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
      It's probably different for different people but personally I didn't lose very much weight and more importantly fat when I only focused on diet and cardio. Initially I was an atkins diet and ran on the treadmill and the weight and fat loss was very slow and very frustrating. Not to mention being hungry and mad most of the day. I then decided to add some weight training and the fat burned much faster. One large advantage imo of weight lifting is the after burn.
      I did well on Atkins years ago, I really ought to try that again... I do agree though, and I am not just doing cardio...

My typical routine is...

Tues / Thursday Combined cardio / resistance pool training.
      Fri / Sun Resistance training. Working with PT paying attention to problem / injury areas...

Diet is pretty fair / lean. A representative day is...

Breakfast. Home made breakfast taco consisting of one scrambled egg, 2 Tbsp Pico De Gallo (Tomato, Onion, Cilantro, Bell Pepper and Jalapeno) and 1 serviing Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles. Some sort of citrus or other Vitamin C rich fruit like Mangoes.

Coffee, black, no sugar.

Snack if needed, 1 wedged apple with peanut butter or similar type snack.

Lunch. Some chicken and veggie dish. For example Kung Pao Chicken, no rice, no egg roll, just the chicken and veggies.

Coffee, black, no sugar.

Snack if needed, more fruit / protein.

Dinner, this can vary, but will list last night as an example...

Home made Caldo De Pollo (For those not from a state with a rich mix of Mexican influence, that is Mexican chicken vegetable soup). One whole wheat dinner roll.

Hot tea. No sugar.

I'm not going to lie, I splurge from time to time, but I keep it tracked, and under control...

FWIW, I dropped Weight Watchers a while back in favor of a more traditional caloric tracking method using my phone and S-Health... The results are a hair better, but still disappointing.

I literally haven't lost an ounce since August...

I don't want to go under the knife and and up with say it being Thyroid and bypass not really helping, or worse, causing other problems...

And I just can't seem to get the doctor to address my concerns, which bugs me to no end.

So yep, off to see a different doc!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

1. fire your PCP
        2. change what you are doing as it is simply not working
        3. exercise more, make it your number 2 priority in life seriously
        4. change your diet, eat more fat, even less carbs and change your tracking software make this your number one priority in life, seriously.

Track calories to lose weight. However you really do need a competent medical professional to rule out all medical causes for your weight.

Exercise for better health! 10 hours a week with a mix of intensities mostly low impact/ low intensity.

Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water. Water will make you feel full. Water helps your body processes.

lastly stay positive! I was up to 290 now hovering between 205-210. Cycling earned me better health and directly allowed half my weight loss.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

My wife and I went on the Medical Weight Management Program put on by Kaiser. Starting in April I weighed 198 29 weeks later I weighed 155. The program was monitored by Doctors my PCP was one of them blood work twice a month see the doctor at least once a month. Weigh in and BP every week. We were also put on a 960 calorie a day meal replacement using Optifast products. Had six meals a day 3 shakes, 2 protien bars and 1 soup a day. We also attended a class every week. We still go to class every week and are weigh but at our option we can still use the meal replacement as we learn how to eat. I have a shake with banana for breakfast a bar at mid morning break we have out one big meal for lunch that is real food I usually have Smoothy made with greek yogurt, almond milk and frozen or fresh fruit for mid afternoon break and the meal replacement soup with veggies for dinner with maybe some french bread. Drink at least 2 qts of water a day and walk at leats 1 hour a day or work in yard or go to gym. I have back trouble and problems with my legs and feet I don't now have some leg problem due to nerve damage from PAD. The took us off all BP and Colesterol and other meds when we started and added them back if needed.
          I did run into a Angina issue but that was taken care with meds after a bunch of tests by a Cardiologist. Right now I go between 157 and 160 am am on a 1380 calorie diet as that is what my Resting Metabolic Rate test said I needed. I must say at 155 I looked terrible like I was sick at 157 or so I look good for 72 year old. Went from 38-40" pants to 34" and from EXLG shirts to Medium.

There were 24 in our class and collectively we lost over 1000 pounds. We had some that were able to have hip and knee replacement surgery some that got off Diabetes meds and generally improved our health. It was cheap the first 29 weeks cost about $5k each and depending on how much Meal replacement we get it might cos $50 a week.

You have to find the right doctor or professional that know what to do. I think the plan we went through was great as LOML and aI lost 40 years of gained weight with no problem and didn't suffer. Made through Thanks giving with no problem ate what we wanted, not big portions and didn't have all the extras and I managed to loose .3 of pound got back though. It is not easy to loose of keep it off especially keeping it off long term we log every thing we eat or drink and log our exercise. I need 10K steps a day and 96 oz o water at to make it work plus the 1380 calories top maintain my weight. Red wind and Dark Chocolate are my down fall. Good luck on finding the solution to you weight loss. Go to the Kaiser site and look for Medical Weight loss management for more information. Can't find the link right now.

Tom

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

This was something that was told to me many years ago, "A doctor is just a person who just went into a different profession or job than you did."

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

A friend of ours started taking this, fat is rolling off, she feels great. Believe me, she had plenty of fat to roll off! I read up on it, Dr. oz does testing, wife and I may give it a whirl.

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                I did well on Atkins years ago, I really ought to try that again... I do agree though, and I am not just doing cardio...

My typical routine is...
                Have you checked your daily caloric intake? It might be too low.

Some years ago I was working to lose weight, and kept cutting calories to the point I was basically eating steamed rice and vegetables, and my weight loss stalled. The problem turned out to be I was not eating enough calories.

While there are some slight differences in the impacts of various foods, and they can also affect weight by retaining or discharging water in the body, basically it's still calories in vs. calories out. However, if the body is "starved", it reduces it's calorie consumption.

For example, a typical maintenance diet for an adult male is in the range of 2200 calories per day (you would need to figure out the right number for you). It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. To lose a pound a week, the 2200 calories per day would need to be reduced to 1700, which is starting to get into the range where the body feels "starved", in my experience. I can tell you that at 1500 calories/day I don't lose weight, at 2000 calories per day I do.

It appears that some foods also help with weight loss, while others hinder it. It may be related to minor food sensitivities that vary with individuals as well. In my case, meat of any kind hinders weight loss, though poultry is less troublesome. I have found that lentils are my "secret weapon". I make lentil stew in the crock pot, with lentils, carrots, potatoes, onions, and seasoning. Very tasty and filing, and I lose a pound or two a week eating this, oatmeal for breakfast, and three to five "exception" dinners a week. I bicycle 10 minutes a day for exercise - set up the exercise bike in front of the TV and watch a movie while bicycling.

Gastric bypass surgery works, in part because it "reprograms" the "second brain", the core processes. It is major, serious surgery, however, with all the risks. I would only seriously consider it after exhausting all other possibilities.

One other, extreme, solution is to stop eating. If you stop eating, you will eventually lose the weight. A lot of risks with this approach and I am not recommending it, just noting it is an option. However, short fasts can help - skipping lunch for example might be a solution for you.

For me, it was about making the determination that I was going to get healthy, no matter what. I researched a lot, conducted "experiments" on my food intake and exercise, kept careful records and tracked what worked and what did not. Keep in mind I am an engineer, and this is what we do ;-) Over time, I figured out what worked for me, what exceptions I could make that would not completely counteract the effort, and how to change my lifestyle to become healthier.

I hope you are able to find an approach that works for you.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have been tracking intake with nearly laser like focus as of late, mind you, I know I'm big, and I am going with the Dieticians, as well as well published recommendations based on age, gender, height, and current weight to lose weight. My caloric intake based on those is actually quite low, about 2/3 of what they say to do... But my activity level on those days is very low as well. I have been under the weather for at least 2 weeks due to a respiratory infection, and this morning I managed to do something to my back and am in pain...

No more respiratory issue though, and I have had this back issue repeatedly over the years, I know what to do...

#1. Get my butt to the gym.
                  #2. Get into the hot tub, and find the strongest jet that will hit my mid back, spend about 10 minutes there.
                  #3. Go from hot tub to pool, do about 10 minutes of stretches, repeat...

This usually loosens my back up then I can hit the indoor track and do some simple walking laps...

Actually with the weather the way it is, might hit the outdoor track tonight. Should be a pretty night for a walk, and my gym is located at the local marina so the view is pretty sweet at sundown...

FWIW, when I eat to the calories, or even get within say 100 cal of the recommendations with the minimum 10K steps / day I gain weight...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                    • Dec 2006
                    • Lake County, Illinois
                    • Ryobi BT-3000

Please pm me, and make an opening in your private messages space! You've exceeded your quota.

Comment

Working...