how do you build something for a gerbil?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

how do you build something for a gerbil?

My son has a pet gerbil - and asked e to build something for it for Christmas.

He originally said "just cut out some shapes - they'll eat it." Ummmm

Come on - what kind of woodworker would make something only to have it eaten?

So far - only idea I have is a little house ----- I made a 6x6 box ---- out of some birch plywood I had sitting around ---- cut doors and windows into it. I used a 1.5" forstner bit to drill doors into the wood - and 3/4" bits to make windows. I put the house together by cutting dados, and then fastening everything with wood screws (big enough not to be ingested).

Any other ideas?

I also got some rules:
    - no stain (the gerbils like to chew on the wood)
    - should likely avoid brad nails (some risk of ingestion, since they're small)
    - should stick to non-toxic wood
    Last edited by durango dude; 12-08-2014, 11:57 AM.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

How about plexiglass and whatever adhesive is appropriate? Maybe the gerbil won't mind having peeping toms and it might be interesting to see what they do in there.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I would think Cedar to keep pests away, and maybe dovetails to hold it together without glue? Just thinking out loud...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Be careful of wood in might be poisonous to him. Most commercial cages are plastic for ease of cleaning. Wood might soak up Urine and that would not be good and sealing it might be worse. Have had a lot of little critters over the years killed a few by using of feeding the wrong stuff.

Tom

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Interesting question. I think I'd take a trip to a local pet store to get some idea of what Gerbils (sp?) might like.

Pine I think would be a pretty common wood, and therefore okay, as long as it's not treated. Likewise, shellac is a 'natural' finish, is it not? (Once the alcohol has dried out of it anyway.)

I agree, I'd stay away from small fasteners like brads, but so too any metal that may react to wood in a toxic way.

What is a Gerbils natural habitat? I confess that we've never had pets of this kind.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Most glue is non toxic, at least when dried. I wouldn't worry about using wood glue to keep a project together.

I'd avoid fasteners as rodents do love to chew.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

What about the glue/resin/whatever holding the plywood together? Chewing through that stuff probably wouldn't be too healthy.
              Joe

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

did a little research -----

my plywood is baltic birch plywood - from the EU.

This makes sense, since I picked the wood up from an Ikea-type store that was getting rid of the pallets used to ship the furniture on. (the pallets are made of the same wood as the furniture).

From what I can find, MDF is certainly bad for critters - baltic birch is "not sure." Even baltic birch has glue ---- but the EU does not allow toxic glue.

Excellent idea re. dowels ---- I'm going to make a ladder from dowels.

Not sure what to do with the house ----- might send it and put a note on it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Just talked to my coworker who worked in a pet store, had gerbils growing up, and her patron saint is Francis of Assisi so I'm going to defer to her.

Gerbils will gnaw at everything given the chance--even plastic houses and tunnels. However, they will go after the softer stuff like wood first. She used aspen bedding as there are health concerns with cedar. She also mentioned as a treat giving them flavor infused balsa cubes.

She thinks pine will be OK for the construction. She had plastic houses in her enclosure and replaced them about every year because of the chewing.

I'm going to add that you can use bamboo skewers as dowels, too. Just find a drill bit the right size, drill through the corner at the mating joint, and glue and insert the skewer and cut off.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Some of the small bird houses that you see for sale at the big box craft stores would be something good to copy. You could glue them up and fasten them with screws and remove the screws after the glue dries. That glue ain't going to hurt no rat.

Comment

Working...