• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

Question about Monitor for Security System

I posted the following problem on a security forum but have not gotten any response:

I have an old Samsung SyncMaster 152N monitor that I want to connect to a new security DVR, but I'm getting a black screen with the message "video mode not supported" and the monitor is not allowing me to play with any settings. The monitor is connected to the DVR by a VGA cable. When I connect the DVR to my newer PC monitor using the same cable, it works fine.

FYI, the DVR has no brand name and was purchased off Ebay. The spec indicates that it supports VGA output up to 1440 x 900.

Is there any way to adjust the DVR or the old monitor to make it work?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

not supported means just that, it won't work.

Check your DVR to see if it has a lower resolution output mode. (not likely). Check your DVR to see what resolution it requires of the monitor.

you should be able to pick up newer used CRT monitors at Goodwill or someplaces for a song. People are throwing out perfectly good ones. Bring your DVR to test compatibility B4 you buy.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-10-2014, 10:50 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by newbie2wood
      1440 x 900
      That's you problem: according to the web your SyncMaster 152N only supports 1024x768. So unless you have a way to reduce the resolution of the DVR (not very likely) that monitor will not work out for this.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Toss that old Syncmaster and pick up a cheap flat panel from Walmart. Dell 20" screens are going for about $125.00 at Walmart...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by gerti
          That's you problem: according to the web your SyncMaster 152N only supports 1024x768. So unless you have a way to reduce the resolution of the DVR (not very likely) that monitor will not work out for this.
          Yep, that's the problem. I looked up the monitor, and as soon as I saw the pic, I knew the resolution wasn't supported.

You'll either need some sort of widescreen monitor or TV for it to work, unless you can change the resolution on the DVR.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• newbie2wood
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • NJ, USA.

Thanks for the answers. They have been quite helpful.

I thought the problem may have to do with the resolution or driver but I was not totally sure. I did purchase a new 20" monitor for my PC and was hoping to use the old 15" PC monitor, the Samsung, for the DVR. Looks like I need to buy another monitor.

Comment

• RAV2
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Massachusetts

I have a similar situation - used a 'free' monitor on my system at the box because I generally remote access in from anywhere.

I just dropped the resolution to a compatible level for the monitor and deal with the annoying message box that moves around when I am doing maintenance.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by newbie2wood
                Thanks for the answers. They have been quite helpful.

I thought the problem may have to do with the resolution or driver but I was not totally sure. I did purchase a new 20" monitor for my PC and was hoping to use the old 15" PC monitor, the Samsung, for the DVR. Looks like I need to buy another monitor.
                How about a KVM? It may be cheaper than another monitor, and wouldn't take up as much desk space.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...