• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

BT3 YouTube Channel?

Just thinking out loud...with all the talk of re-vitalizing the forum, I had a thought while driving today. Has anyone given any thought to creating a BT3Central YouTube channel? I am sure many are like me and spend way too much time watching WWing on YouTube. There is really some fantastic content on there, all for free. I think YouTube has really replaced forum browsing for a lot of people.

I am not volunteering and honestly can't say I would be able to contribute any content, but I am sure there are many on here that could. I'm thinking any member that chooses to, could create videos--from simple tips to full blown projects. Maybe have them submitted to forum admins for approval before posting?

Make sure these are done under the BT3Central "banner" and make sure they point back to this site.

Just a thought that I am throwing out there...
    Joe
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

It sounds like a good idea, however with the rebranding efforts going on, it should be a Sawdust Zone channel...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've been mulling this over in my head for the past few weeks. I think once the rebranding is complete it would be a good idea. I've been trying to think of videos I could produce ... and feeling insecure about putting my skills, or lack thereof out there for the world to se.
      Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

With the software update in-line video is included, as simple as posting pics. I think you have to host elsewhere such as on YouTube or other video hosting site.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

We would have to host elsewhere. Video sucks up an enormous amount of disk space...

I am planning a few hours this weekend to pour into the rebranding / upgrade effort. Will likely look into the video channel ideas too.

It might be interesting to have a single "branded" video series with a certain set of standards but with a variety of "hosts"... I have been planning on setting up some video how tos for my own blog series. I can cobble some together for the site and just double up for the blog. Might even help drive more traffic here...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Youtube would do all the hosting. No need to do that here. I have a youtube channel of my own and put lots of different types of videos on there. I say lots, I might have a dozen.

For a BT3 or Sawdust Zone channel, we would need some way to let members upload under that name or upload themselves and post links. The later would get more confusing I think. There should be some way to do this. Then again, security being what it is, it may not be possible. I could see something like that being hacked easily.
            Lee

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Just to keep it simple... maybe have different people make videos, post them here (from their own Youtube channel/account) and if the community feels they meet the "quality standards", they get 'promoted' to the official channel. This could involve adding branding (e.g. SawDustZone title sequence, etc), perhaps some additional editing, or maybe even a re-shoot if people thought there should be some changes.

I personally don't think I'd participate in adding content (I'm not confident enough in my skill set, plus it seems like there would be a lot of work involved) but think it's a great idea if others want to, and I'd certainly watch them.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have created a semi-official ish youtube channel for Sawdustzone. I am working on the branding stuff, and will include the title and trailer sequence templates for the videos.

Have much Sawdust zone work planned for the weekend... Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...