• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ever have one of those days?

So a bad day in the shop is supposed to be better than a good day at work, right? I guess. No blood was drawn so if you're hoping for an ER story, wrong place, but the night is young.

My wife wanted a tall bookcase for her office at home. No problem. I go on Craigslist and look for IKEA Billy bookcases. Not seeing any close by or in my price range, I tell her I'll make her one--a few weeks ago.

So last night I'm planing down some poplar boards to make doors and drawers for my kitchen remodel. I bought these Christmas of 2012 so you can see I've been really procrastinating on this kitchen. Anyway, after I finish getting everything to 3/4"--I think 20 boards in all--I've pretty much had my fill of the kitchen project for the night. Well, as I pulled boards from the rack, I came across some nice cherry boards I bought for some purpose years ago. OK, these will become a new bookcase--tomorrow. And I'm not going to fret over joinery, etc. I'm just going to plane these down, cut them to size, and screw them together. I'm not even going to plug the screw holes.

So tomorrow comes (today) and I'm in the attic for something. Well, there was a two-piece closet unit I bought at Lowes 3 years ago for extra storage. It had a nice cherry laminate veneer, but the people who engineered it needed a good kick in the pants. Rather than a full, nailed on sheet for the back, they skimped and provided to what amounted to small cardboard triangles that you nailed into the corners to keep it stiff. As my wife loaded it up with stuff, the cardboard buckled and like a hula dancer swaying her hips, the middle of the unit--where the two pieces met--shifted. Luckily the top was secured to the wall with a bracket and it shifted to the left and not right because it came to rest on the window casing moving almost 3" to the side. Well that was the end of that and it has lived in the attic for the past year.

So fast forward to today. It would be a waste to use those cherry boards on a bookcase when your wife was OK with something from IKEA. And think about that useless unit in the attic. Well, we'll just have to repurpose it, won't we?

The unit was pretty deep so I ripped everything down closer to bookcase dimensions rather than near-closet dimensions. I left it a little deep because the insides were already drilled for shelf pins and I wasn't going to try to match up the existing holes with new ones. I was also able to reuse some of the knockdown fasteners and I added pocket screws in inconspicuous areas. This all took me less than an hour and I was just working it out in my head. I just needed to get some ply or hardboard to reinforce the back and I was home free.

So my wife gives me a 1/2hr to get to HD and back before the kids wake up from their nap. I do a quick measurement, I need 2 2'x3' boards for the backs. Get to HD and I buy 2 precut 2'x4' boards rather than my usual MO--buy a 4x8 sheet and have them cut it into quarters. It would have added another precious 5-10 minutes but saved me 50%, but oh well. At least the wife won't be POed that I dawdled.

So back to the shop, I just need to crosscut these boards to 3' and I'm almost done. I do a quick measurement on the width and I get 24 3/4". WTF?!!! Where did that extra 3/4" come from? OK, get over it. Cross-cut to 24 3/4" and use the board sideways. Scrounge for other scrap to fill in the gaps. Mistake 1.

Set fence to 24 3/4". Oh wait, these sheets are too thin and will slip under the fence. Grab my auxiliary fence I use for rabbeting and cut the boards down. As soon as I cut the 2nd board, I realize I didn't readjust the fence to account for the thickness of the auxiliary fence. Now all the boards and their offcuts are undersized and completely useless. Mistake 2.

After some choice words, I bite the bullet and grab a sheet of 1/8" phenolic material I salvaged from work. I was saving it for a special project like a router table top or something like that, but after 6+ years in the shop with no purpose, it finally found one.

So now the bookcase is up in the new office. Just need to find some shelving and we're good to go.

And since I mentioned work at the outset, I came in from the shop to get an automated alarm call from work. The refrigeration unit on my robotic system was in alarm and the temp was rising. Usually these calls come at 2am and I ignore them because the temps don't rise enough until I get into work around 9am to be a problem. However, at 5pm it would be a problem for tomorrow. Good thing it was sleeting and raining all day and that this unit sits on the roof of our 4 story building. The roof is a white rubber membrane. With the 1" of slush up there, it's more like an ice rink. Anyway, I got it going again and got home about an hour later with some slightly soggy socks.

Sometimes on days like these I wish I followed basketball. It would probably be less of a PITA.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Well, it could have been worse. You could have been a Houston Texans fan with Super Bowl aspirations this last year!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by dbhost
      Well, it could have been worse. You could have been a Houston Texans fan with Super Bowl aspirations this last year!
      Could be much worse. You could be a Cubs fan.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gsmittle
        Could be much worse. You could be a Cubs fan.

g.
        I'll see you and raise you:
        the Cubs were 66-96 last year (.407 winning percentage)
        The Houston Astros were 51-111 (.315 winning percentage) after having lost 106 and 107 games in the previous two years.
        At least the Astros had low expectations;
        for true futility the Houston Texans, positively dripping with playoff aspirations early last fall, nose-dived to a 2-14 last season with a 14-game losing streak for a 0.125 winning percentage, less than half of the hapless Astros.

You could be a Houston professional sports fan...
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I'll see you and raise you:
          the Cubs were 66-96 last year (.407 winning percentage)
          The Houston Astros were 51-111 (.315 winning percentage) after having lost 106 and 107 games in the previous two years.
          At least the Astros had low expectations;
          for true futility the Houston Texans, positively dripping with playoff aspirations early last fall, nose-dived to a 2-14 last season with a 14-game losing streak for a 0.125 winning percentage, less than half of the hapless Astros.

You could be a Houston professional sports fan...
          I stand corrected, chastised, and a little embarrassed. I had no idea the Astros had such a terrible year. Maybe they shoulda stayed in the National League.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

I think I have you all beat.......You could live my way ( Ontario Canada) and be a Toronto ( insert any team) fan.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gsmittle
              I stand corrected, chastised, and a little embarrassed. I had no idea the Astros had such a terrible year. Maybe they shoulda stayed in the National League.

g.
              I'm sure the American league welcomed them with open arms. They probably improved everyone's percentage 20 points and everyone in the National league was likewise sorry to see them go.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                I think I have you all beat.......You could live my way ( Ontario Canada) and be a Toronto ( insert any team) fan.
                Your mayor is quite the entertaining guy, too....
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...