• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

My small parts sorter

Thankfully my older daughter (3 1/2) inherited my wife's organizer gene. Well, might as well take advantage of it with all my loose nuts, bolts, and screws.

In case you're worried, she knows not to push any buttons--especially the green one on my saw--and I'm standing next to her.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Before long you will be building her a work bench with tools of her own so she can work in the shop when you are working! Lots of fun times there. My youngest son use to help me in my shop working on MG's and Austins when he was that age. One time he was "helping" me work on some brakes and my special bleeder wrench turned up missing and could not be found. The next day I was able to get one off he Snap On truck, and that night when he was helping it went missing and could not be found. No amount of questioning revealed he had it so I bought another one. Just on a whim I tied about a 5 foot string on the new wrench. I was able to finish the brake job with this one but noticed it was lost before the end of the night as well. Soliciting my wifes help we were finally able to see the string sticking out of my floor jack handle under the workbench. There I found my other brake bleeder wrenches. My son said that they were not lost but that is where he puts all the small wrences! Enjoy them while you can.
    capncarl

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing.
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

Thanks for sharing! Time certainly flies by fast these days. It seems like it was just yesterday that you were posting pictures of something you made to be ready for her arrival.

My older daughter turns 7 and the youngest turns 3 in August this year. Shop time is slowly starting to increase these days.

Regards!
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
          Thanks for sharing! Time certainly flies by fast these days. It seems like it was just yesterday that you were posting pictures of something you made to be ready for her arrival.

My older daughter turns 7 and the youngest turns 3 in August this year. Shop time is slowly starting to increase these days.

Regards!
          Seriously, right? She'll be 4 on July 4 and her sister 3 on Labor Day. Fun (most of the time) to see them becoming their own little people.

This one SO wants to be my shop cleaner, too. She'll follow me in if she's playing in the yard, look around, and say, "Daddy, you gotta clean or Mommy's going to be mad. Can I sweep, pleeeease?" I would love to but just don't want her breathing in dust (a mask would probably cover most of her face) and all the dangerous pointy things seem to be at her eye level.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Some of the best time I have in my shop is with the 4Grandkids from just letting them pound nails with their kids tool boxes (from Grizzly) to teaching them how to turn a pen make pinewood derby cars or bird house or just let them paint scrap wood and make what their imagination told them to. The 5Th is only 3 but he is getting into the scrap wood and wants to make something so this summer we will start. There were time when I would sit out on the deck after unplugging all the tools and just watch them do whatever. The really liked the small cordless drill/drivers and a box of drywall screws that would keep them busy all day especially when the found out how to reverse the drill and remove the screws. Enjoy and have fun let their little minds explore.

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Small parts distributor

I don't have a sorter yet, I have a small parts (ahem) distributor, so to speak.
              My Grandson, he's almost 3 but he's a boy.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

My first "baby" is 9 now. One of my first WW projects was a changing table for him, which is still in use as a dresser. Got a lot of advise from this forum at the time, including the pointer to the plans (which I modified a bit). I was going to point to my nearly 10-year-old 'reveal' thread but it looks like my "oldest" post according to this forum is from 2005, and this was in 2004, so we must have lost history at some point...

Anyway, my 9yo is starting to show some interest in tools. He's done a little woodworking with his Boy's Brigade (similar to Cub Scouts), and has accompanied me out building projects. I need to come up with a few safe things for him to build mostly on his own (with my guidance of course).

Both our boys (other one is 6) love the Home Depot kid's build activities too.

By the way, that's my oldest in my avatar pic - That's from 2006 when he wasn't even 2 yet, from the last day of Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America (the park is still there, just got a non-Snoopy rebranding) I don't have the heart to change it

Comment

Working...