I've had a busy weekend. What about you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I've had a busy weekend. What about you?

So my weekend was more or less nonstop since Friday after work...

Finished sanding the drywall, at least as much as I am willing to do. Wiped down the sanding dust.
    Picked up a gallon of el cheapo white semi gloss paint. I was planning on getting 2 gallons, but home Depot only had one left...
    Laid down the first coat of bright white paint. Have a bit less than half a gallon left. Will make it go as far as I can, but not holding out hope...

Installed the 9 bulb chandelier I bought for LOML for Christmas. She has been after me for a couple of years for this one, but I wanted the paint in the dining room done before I did this... Now with the exception of some minor touch up I need to do in there, the dining room is DONE! (I messed up some of the trim paint, need to get after it with an artists brush...)

Took down all of the Christmas decorations. I need to test, repair, collapse them down still and box them up ready for 2014.

I installed the cold air intake tube on the truck / lumber wagon... Haven't had a chance to test drive it yet though. Still needs to go to a shop for tranny repair. Not something I can do in my driveway!

Installed the coil spring boosters on the front end of the truck. Got back 3/4 of the 1" of height I lost with the weight of the winch and mount...

Gathered up and organzied my hand held tools as best I could. Still have no idea where my T50 stapler is supposed to live though... Hmmm...

I am at the point now, that I am pretty sure this beast of a sander, the HF 4x24 is actually going to hold up long term, so I am thinking it might be time to get a storage bag for it...

Got my hoses wound up and stowed properly.

Got my Wonder Winders / extension cord reels loaded and ready to install after the tool cabinets are installed.

Got the first friench cleat lined up and installed, then removed. I wanted the holes in the drywall to be able to line up AFTER the paint is finished...

My next steps are...

#1. Put second coat on the shop wall.
    #2. Install french cleats / hanging cabinets.
    #3. Move tool stacker / tools to left of hanging cabinets.
    #4. Clean up the mess that is left.
    #5. Move big tools to where they go. This will free up the space to work on...
    #6. Insulate, drywall, and paint stub wall between doors.
    #7. Reinstall dust collection ducting.
    #8. Crack a cold one and just sit back and enjoy being in the shop, not working ON it for the first time in over a year...

So what did you get accomplished this weekend?
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM. Reason: Forgot about the Christmas decor...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Blew in 11 bags of insulation into the attic, painted a bunch of trim, checked a cleared a code on daughters car, trimmed two doors + miscellaneous.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Not quite as much here. Picked up my new toy, got kids haircuts, and basically finished my big project I'll post on in a few days. Made an awful mess in the shop I need to go clean up in a bit.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

I started turning a nice pen for my son-in-law yesterday (Sunday). Spent all day Saturday helping my wife take down Christmas decorations. I packed things this year, to consolidate all her stuff into 14 monster plastic tubs. I think we freed up 2. Before long the time will be here to get out the Valentines Day boxes, and then Easter, followed by ...

Anyway, back to fun stuff. My son-in-law wanted a nice pen to sign his "million dollar deals"! He quit his job a year ago and started his own construction/remodeling business, and it is going gangbusters. He has to be the hardest working 30 year old "kid" I've ever met. Business is so strong, my daughter, a school teacher, quit her job to manage the admin side of things for the business. Sorry to digress, but business success stories today are so rare!

I have not made a pen in 6 months or more -- seems like too many other woodworking tasks. The wood I'm using is Bethlehem Olive Wood. I almost get drunk on the smell -- it is just amazing. I also used my new Nova Pen Drilling jaws on my lathe chuck. Drilling perfect holes thru a pen blank on a drill press is a real pain. These jaws make it so easy, and using the hand wheel to advance the bit is so much more controllable than using the quill handle on a DP.

I may do a couple more pens in the next couple days, and then restart my cabinet and shelves builds for more shop storage. I am pretty much retired now, so shop time is more frequent. But I also have some remodeling I promised my wife, so I need to get going on that pretty soon.
        Last edited by lrr; 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM. Reason: spelnig
        Lee

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Uh, well...i spent two more days laying on the couch with my foot up, watching more television. This morning, for the first time since 12-31, i left our property...wife drove me to the doctor for a follow-up on foot surgery. I'll be 2 more weeks with pins in my toes, so still no shoe for a while. On the bright side--it's winter and our son is shoveling!!

earl

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Played a little paintball, watched a little football, but alas no time in the shop. I'm hoping to finish up by mitersaw station by the end of week and then get a start on a new assembly/router table.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I milled, sanded and sprayed the trim for the new weight room. Sunday I had to take my daughter back to college in Duluth, this weekend her twin sister goes back to Sioux City Iowa, so the finish will be well cured by the time I eventually get it installed. I still need to make a door for the closet under the stairs and then the basement is officially finished!
              Chr's

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

Unfortunatly I worked 11 hours on Sat. and had to do groceries and errands on Sun. So I did not accomplish anything that I wanted to. I giess I helped to pay for the new roof I had to put on in October.

Regards Bob

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I am retired, so I have 6 saturdays a week. Saturday 1-5 demolished tile floor in Entry Hall (60sqft) Repaired subfloor as needed and installed Pergo EX Laminate. As I have a bad back and legs I take frequent breaks along with picking up granddaughter at and school and taking her to Karate 3 afternoons a week so If I get 5 hours a day of work in a day I am lucky there is also the dog park. This week Saturday #5 was taken up trying to change the blade on my Dewalt miter saw got it done on Saturday #1 of this week PITA a whole different story. Saturday #6 and Sunday was spent going to Niece's house warming party and watching Football. The one bad thing about getting older is the things I used to do in a day now take a lot longer that and I have become more of a Perfectionist I have all ready installed 300 sqft of flooring and am in the process of laying 400sqft with another 500 sqft to be done later this year. After the demo I paint the walls and trim before laying floor so it is not a quick project I install the baseboard last.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    Saturday 1-5 demolished tile floor in Entry Hall (60sqft)
                    Man, that did not look fun although it seems the tiles came up fairly cleanly.

I'm not going to share what I did this past weekend. None of it involved WWing or home improvement. Just a lot of driving, eating, and chilling on the couch watching TV.

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

It wasn't to bad used my Rockwell 3 1/2" power saw with a diamond blade and cut all the grout lines down through the backer board then used the bar and the dead blow hammer and pulled each tile and backer board up along with most of the nails, boy I did a heck of job nailing the backer board down, lot of nails. Took about 4 hours to cut and pull the tile up, like I said many breaks, then filled some places where chunks of plywood came up and then covered it with that pink resin paper. The Pergo had the foam backing on it, so didn't need any sound deadening underlayment. The Resin paper just made it look better. Still have to caulk in front of the door and finish to edges in the two openings will do that when I lay the flooring in those two room. One of my biggest pet peves is the TV show with they way the do demo. For while early in our retirement my BIL and I demolish Kitchens and bathrooms for owners prior to their having the remodeling start, never had a mess like on TV.
                      Last edited by TB Roye; 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...