• Show
Clear All
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

Thinning Epoxy

Does anyone know if a two-part epoxy can be thinned with acetone (or some other solvent). If thinned, will the epoxy set? My reason for wanting to thin it is I plan to inject it into a small hole with a hypodermic and I doubt that I can get it through the needle without thinning. Any thoughts, folks?
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by thiggy
    Does anyone know if a two-part epoxy can be thinned with acetone (or some other solvent). If thinned, will the epoxy set?
    I'm not sure, but I would think not. One option would be to buy thinner epoxy - epoxy intended to be injected is available and is much thinner. Another option is to heat it - the liquid epoxy will thin as it is heated, but it also causes it to set faster. As long as you are using epoxy that sets in an hour or two, rather than the 5 minute set type, you should be OK with the set time if you heat it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

there are many, many different epoxy formulas, I don't think that a blanket statement can be made. Most all of them require two parts that react and make long complex molecules as they set. The speed and exothermicity of the setting varies as does the ratio according to the formulation. The viscosity is also controlled by the formula - some are very thin and some are thick. If this is an ongoing process you would do well to choose the right epoxy compound, if this is a one-off I don't know what to suggest except to call the applications engineer at the company that made it.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Ask and you shall receive:

West Systems article on thinning epoxy
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

wow Tom, great article find.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thiggy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Alabama.
            • Craftsman Contractor

Thanks for your responses. Tom, that was a very informative artlcle from West.
            SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

You did not mention the purpose of injecting epoxy in a small hole. It sounds like if the epoxy does not have to be full strength it will work. I've thinned industrial flooring epoxy that has not failed in 20 years of hard service. Epoxy that has been "weakened" by adding thinners is probably still a lot stronger than most of us everday flunkies would require.
              capncarl

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

I use west systems epoxy that I got from Rockler and that stuff is pretty thin. Can't say for certain but I think it would work with a syringe. Just remember epoxy sets alot faster in an enclosed space so make sure to use it quickly before it hardens.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

If the thinned epoxy will not pump through your syringe you might try a syringe made for injecting seasonings into meat, they are many times larger. I completed a repair on a large boat transom where I had to laminate 2 thicknesses of 3/4 plywood to the inside of the transom. An impossible task to apply adhesive to the boards and then install them inside the engine room. I installed grease fittings on the outside of the boards and attached them in place with screws and pumped epoxy between the boards using a grease gun. Where there is a will there is a way.
                  capncarl

Comment

Working...