• Show
Clear All
  • tuttlejr
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Display Cameras Removed

This could be a trend.

The camera display in a Walmart (Austin TX) no longer has cameras on display, just below the area now behind glass. Due to major thefts. Best Buy had several cameras stolen from their display. Cords were cut and away they went.
    Bob Tuttle
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

You know how to stop most of that?
    Move the television section to be right behind the camera displays.
    Have several surveillance cameras pointed around that display and being displayed live on all the TV's. I think then even a regular customer might turn in a potential shop lifter if he seen the crime in progress.
    Lee

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

You would think that the cables for securing theft prone items would have a signal wire woven in that would sound an alarm when cut. They have devices on the shoping carts that lock the wheels to prevent them from being pushed out of their parking lots. Our local Lowes removed most of their battery hand tools from their displays because of theft. They say that management will not let them secure them with cables, and will not prosecute the crooks when they do catch them shoftlifting. Some they catch 3 of 4 times.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

How odd. At my local Sams Club, the electronic doo dads have the same electronic tethers, I was futzing with a Galaxy Tab a while ago when I accidentally knocked the tether thing off, and good golly that alarm was LOUD. The store guy was apologetic, silenced it and we kept going over the device...

The one I was looking at was lacking 4g on my carrier. I am seriously considering changing carriers... (AT&T coverage and data speed has been pretty awful)...

Not too shocked about the Walmart thing. That place kind of screams poor security...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I remembering witnessing a theft at the mall (Boscov's or something like that) when I was a kid in the mid 80s. My dad and I were shopping in the men's coats section. A tall skinny guy and a shifty short guy (bobbed his head up and down like a prairie dog) did it. The tall guy was the lookout and the short guy lifted about 10 leather jackets off the rack and ran out the door about 20 feet away. The following week all the coats were cabled to the rack.

It happened so fast that even if we wanted to say something to someone, it would have been too late. The only way to stop them would have been to do it ourselves and that's a whole other ballgame.

My Best Buy essentially has bouncer looking guys working the exit and our Target has the electronics in the back so making a hasty exit is a bit more of challenge.

Comment

Working...