• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

school start date?

Around here school starts the Monday before Labor Day. In the next state over (VA), it's even earlier. When I was growing up (DE and NJ) school always started the day after Labor Day. Maybe it's always been like this in MD (didn't grow up here). What's the logic here? Seems like a better plan to have it after Labor Day to get in that last summer vacation, but then I suppose school would end one week later on the other side.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Same here. Start dates vary with different districts but they have all started by now, except for a few private schools. Don't know if there are more mandated school days now, more vacation/off days, or they get out for the summer earlier than we did.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by Pappy
      Same here. Start dates vary with different districts but they have all started by now, except for a few private schools. Don't know if there are more mandated school days now, more vacation/off days, or they get out for the summer earlier than we did.
      Here in Missouri I believe we have more mandated school days than in the past, and we sure don't get out earlier in the summer. In my district the first day for students was Aug. 12, with teachers reporting a week earlier. We'll finish the year the first week in June, assuming we use the six snow days built into the calendar.

We do get a two-week Holiday Break (can't call it Christmas), a one week Spring Break, and a four-day Spring Weekend (can't call it Easter) break. Personally, I'd rather we took the week between the holidays and roll the Easter (oops, Spring Weekend) break into Spring Break. I'm not even a fan of spring break. All that time off combined with block scheduling makes it difficult to stay on track.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

My Granddaughter goes to year around school here in California. She is on what they call a modified schedule. She get out near the end of June and started the 15 of August. She then is off from Thanksgiving until the first of the year and then 2 weeks around Easter. It works good for her family as her dad(my son) works in heavy construction and it is easier for him to get off for vacation then. They have a Time Share and go to someplace warm for a week the weekend after Thanksgiving. The other Grandkids in Idaho have the traditional school year Start around Labor day off early June. The year around schools that aren't on the modified scheduled have 3 shifts (can't remember the correct term) A, B, C but they are all off in july. As we provide care for our Granddaughter here the Modified schedule makes it easy for us to plan our road trips around.

Tom

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

When I was going to school up north, we started school after labor day. My kids start before... never liked it as it seems to fly in the face of tradition, but looking at how education has changed and the fact that some kids go to school year round, look at Korea - hagwons are the norm there..
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

When I went to school, every district had different start dates. Now all Minnesota public schools start on the day after labor day. It is a Minnesota law tied to the state taking over school funding. Although schools can apply for an exemption to the start date law, the exemption is nearly always rejected.
            Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

We are the Wednesday after Labor Day and finish about the second week of June.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Our local schools started the Monday prior to Labor Day. They typically get out the end of the first week in June. I believe that school districts started running longer after I finished up high school, but prior to me getting into college. (there was a 5 year gap between). When I went to school, we started the day after Labor Day, and ended the Thursday just before Memorial Day.

And I know for sure school is in session now. I had to wait for the school bus to pick up before I could back out of my drive and go to work today...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...