• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Circular saw recommendations?

Last week my daughter in Arkansas (120 miles away) called and asked me to come and help put in new flooring. They had a water leak under the house, the floor/sub-floor in one room buckled. Their insurance did not cover water leaks. So, call on daddy!

The main job will be to cut the damaged subfloor out with a circular saw. I have looked and looked for days and cannot find my Makita 7 1/4 in saw that I have had since the early '90s. Then today I remembered. I gave it to son in law # 2 a couple of years ago. He packed it and put it is storage somewhere. He and my daughter are teachers at an international school in Rio, Brazil.

I have a real fine sweet cutting Japanese model Hitachi, but I don't and won't use that for rough cutting jobs, especially ones with the potential of hitting a nail. I have 5 blades with metric sized arbors for the saw. Don't want to waste them.

What is a good circular saw for general construction needs where a TS or SMS can't go? I don't want to go the bottom of the line, nor the worm drive expense, but something that will last and fairly tough for home shop use.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I would pickup a Skilsaw 5480 and abuse it. They are $45 on amazon and seem to get a 4.2-4.4/5 review.

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

I have a DeWalt DW384 that I love but it may be too much for what you want. I also have an old Black & Decker that is very similar to the Skil 5480 and it's good for the rough stuff.

DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Hellrazor
        I would pickup a Skilsaw 5480 and abuse it. They are $45 on amazon and seem to get a 4.2-4.4/5 review.
        +1. I don't remember what model Skilsaw I have but even though I bought it as a beater saw it's served all my needs. Cuts through nails just fine, too.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I have a Milwaukee that I would buy again if I needed to replace it. The adjustable handle is a nice feature.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Hank,
            If you still like Ryobi, you might want to look at this basic, $40 CS: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-12-...9#.Uf8qXJJvOgQ

I show the Skil basic $40 CS as: http://www.lowes.com/pd_300243-353-5...aws&facetInfo=

Both seem similarly regarded, and either should get the job done without being spendy.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Too personal preference. Corded, or cordless? I tend to use worm saws for demolition, but most of mine have been picked up cheap ($25), the Bigfoot is the expensive one. You don't mention budget, which can make a difference, as well as features (I prefer one with a brake). and blade side. I know the Makita's get rave reviews (know several users of the MGA series both 5007 and 5008), and have heard nothing but good remarks about the Hitachi C7BMR with brake.
              I am a lefty and have an older PC, that I like, but isn't made anymore. If I were thinking Skill (wallyworld special), I think I would look at the Ryobi's at HD first (heard good things, and inexpensive).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the responses. I have been surprised at the recommendations for the Skill and Ryobi and even some of the reviews online. For their prices they sure look great.

I should have been more specific in my target budget. That is $80 - $100. Now if I found a Makita 5007/8 for $125, I would probably jump on that.

I prefer lighter weight and with a brake, and with cord, forgot to mention that.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

Hank,
                  Take a serious look at DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw on Amazon for $119
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Honestly, a Circular saw is a pretty basic tool. With the right clamps, and jigs, it can be as accurate as a good table saw, without the size, or expense, or capacity to do dadoes etc... But I digress...

Sadly, my particular saw (USA made Skil Saw, probably one of the last years for that!) is out of production by a LONG time. However there is a modern equivalent that seems to get good reviews. Skil model # 5680-02 at Home Depot goes for about $69.00 or so.

The modern equivalent saw is a 15 amp, with laser guide (The lasers are almost always useless), and it comes with a ballistics nylon carry / tool bag. VERY nice for keeping it all together with the wrenches, spare blades etc... especially when taking it to a job site...

The saw is plenty tough, makes good accurate cuts, and is most importantly, not cordless. So no battery to run down at inappropriate times. I know other guys are going to brag up Makita, and DeWalt, but honestly, I have way more BF under my one Skil than a friend of mine has put through 2 DeWalts. And after my sander experiences with Makita, well... I cannot recommend them. (Long story short, expensive sander that self destructed and I got VERY poor customer service from Makita on the dumb thing... It now only serves as a space waster, and reminder of why I don't buy Makita any more in my shop...).

I can say from what I have seen from B&D, steer clear of them. The good ones were made 30 + years ago and are hard to come by...

The factory blade is fine for framing type work, but for doing flooring etc... where the accuracy / cleanliness of the cut is important you need to pick up a few Diablo or similar blades, appropriate for the cuts you want to do. Remember, no ZCTP on this thing, so either make one, or use some sort of backer on your work pieces to prevent tear out.
                    Last edited by dbhost; 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

I picked up a porter cable model on clearance at Lowe's a while back and have been pretty happy with it. Light, compact, good power, and pretty good dc when hooked up to a vac.
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

For me, I'd go with a left side CS. I found this out when I was trying out the Rigid cordless vs Makita cordless CS's. I prefer the visibility of having the blade to the left of the motor, as I'm right handed. The Rigid cordless had the blade on the right, and although there were features I preferred over the Makita, I had to go Makita since the blade's on the left.

So, if that matters, that may change the reccomendation.

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011
                          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I own the Craftsman tank (I like the weight --- makes the cut more stable).

That said - I think I'd get a Ridgid, and then compliment it with an Irwin Marathon blade.

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I used to use an old Wen as a beater including cutting concrete. It might still work. Now I use a Milwaukee and it is a good saw. But I wish it had a dust collection chute. The PC does, others may too. My DeWalt track saw has one and it really cuts down the debris. You might want one with that feature if you will use it later in your shop.

You didn't ask but a 10 inch CMS is very nice for cutting flooring when you're putting it in. I would hate to do that with a circular saw. It would work but would take a lot more concentration.

Comment

• greenacres2
                              • Dec 2011
                              • La Porte, IN
                              • Ryobi BT3000

I've got an old (well, mid-1980's) Craftsman that refuses to die. Most of what i cut with it is sheet goods, and i can't recall ever being able to make a cut without using an extension cord. Even with a loose wrap, the coil memory in the cord is always in the way. If i was buying (and i'm not yet) and money was not an object (always will be)--the Bosch with the direct connect (no on-board cord, plugs straight to an extension cord) would get a hard look from me. At $90 to $100, i'd take a hard look. (edit--just reread some of the reviews on CPO site, kind of remember why i didn't buy one when i had some spare money. Reviews are far too spotty--hard to get a feel)

Another cord beef--this year i replaced the power cords on two drills and my old miter saw. A new 15' 12 gauge extension cord would have been so much easier!! I might disagree if i ever try one, but i sure like the concept of direct connect.

earl
                              Last edited by greenacres2; 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...