• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Forstner Bit Recommendations

Cutting dozens of mortises in white oak - and finding that my inexpensive Porter Cable forstner bits simply aren't cutting it (pardon the pun). Seriously - I'm getting some burn in the wood.

Will be buying a forstner bit set either woodcraft (they have a set on sale) - or Grizzly.

Any recommendations?

My criteria:
    - clean cuts (drilling mortises)
    - minimal burning, if any at all
    - sizes up to 1.25"

Most of my mortises are 0.5" Have a few 3/8" mortises, as well.

I have a couple of whopper mortises (pass through mortises) that are 1.25".

It's all on white oak ------
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a set of the HSS Grizzlies, and they work great, but I suspect under extended use, they will dull quicker than the carbide tipped versions.

For the bits that I dull too often, which thus far has been the 1/2" and 3/4" bits, I have replaced them with the Freud Carbide Forstner Bits and buy they piecemeal. They can get spendy fast... But I figure that is a mess cheaper than buying a big set of nothing but the top end bits when I only need a few of the premiums and the mid grades work fine for everything else...

http://www.freudtools.com/p-296-carb...tsbr-nbsp.aspx
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

dozens of mortises would get me to working to justify a hollow chisel mortiser. I have a Jet and enjoy using it. I also have used a plunge router with a spiral upcut bit (carbide). I've used a forstner bit and chisel but that is too slow for me. I buy only cheap forstner bits but I don't use them enough to wear them out.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

A dedicated mortiser would seem to tbe the best option , if its affordable for you.

Carbide forstners would be the next best. Spade bits might be an option as the finish of the hole (clean sides, flat bottom) is not that all that important if you are following with a chisel to make a mortise.

If you are making many, many of one size mortice, then buying a single carbide forstner instead of a set might be feasible. Here for example is a 1/2" caride tipped forstner for $20 :
        http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-003-1...r+bit+1%2F2%22
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I would just buy the sizes you will use. A carbide tipped Forstner will cut a cleaner hole than a spade bit. If your mortise is a through one, back up the subject piece with scrap wood to prevent tearout.

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

I picked up a Jet Mortiser off CL last year--don't use it often, but when i do it sure is nice to have. It's mounted on a 24" square of 3/4 ply that i either mount to a folding miter saw stand or have a spot to drop it into my workbench. (my miter saw, scroll saw, P-C dovetail jig all mount the same way and store in a wall rack i built) Last Saturday i cut 12 3/8" mortises in the legs for a bench--took under 30 minutes, most of which was set-up and put away.

Before buying the Jet, i tried one of the Delta drill press adapters, but it would not fit the quill on my old Asian DP. Been meaning to put it on CL, but just haven't done so. Seems like it would work fine and should fit most standard DP's--which mine isn't!!

earl

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011

Yeah - I looked at Woodcraft's mortiser - and almost convinced myself I needed it ---- but I've cut a dozen mortises with a forstner bit - and it works (I just want a little less burning).

Will likely buy a couple of Freud bits --- am doing a pilgrimage to West Virginia, next week, in fact -

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I don't have too many through it yet, but I have probably 18 or so mortises under the belt of my HF mortiser. I won't go back to using a router for mortises if I can avoid it. I have never tried the forstner bit method. Scared to try...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

If money is no object and you've drank the green koolaid, these are real nice. The tips are removable and you can use it a brad point to do angled drilling. They are centrotec bits though so you would need a Festool drill or use it with a Jacobs chuck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051D...p_s_a_1_1?qid=

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=or7DCt-gch4

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYer_2YqBE
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

one last comment: FOrstners are user-sharpeneable without a huge outlay in sharpeneing tools or complexity.
                    THis google linkw will take you to several web pages and yuoutube videos on doing it yourself:
                    https://www.google.com/search?q=shar...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And probably knife-sharpeneing services will do them, too. My local hardware stores use a service that picks up/drops off weekly that will do a forstner for $8, carbide forstner for $15.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

If you haven't procured your bits yet you might check out Peachtree. They have 30% off their hex shank forstners by Stone Mountain right now:
                      http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_062113.htm

I haven't used nor heard about the Stone Mountain forstners, but I have several Stone Mountain router bits. They are of a pretty decent quality, especially for the price I got them for.
                      Erik

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011

Have been cutting a ton of mortises in 3/8" and 1/2" --- so decided to get Freud Diablo in those two sizes.

Putting the Freud bit next to the PC bit is an educational deal.

The Freud bit is not as bulky - so it clears better. It's much sharper, though.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Barrie ON Canada
                          • BT 3000

I have cut many mortises in all kinds of hardwood. I have cut by hand with forstners with dedicated mortise machines but have found that the router gives me the quickest,cleanest, and most repeatable mortises. I have found the tin coated bits to give the least amount of burn. Even a sharp bit with the wrong feed rate will burn. Regards Bob

Comment

Working...