• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Where have all the Rollerbladers gone?

When I was in college in the mid-90s, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing someone on Rollerblades. I've always ridden a bicycle and I can't count how many close calls I've had with Rollerbladers so I don't really miss them.

But now if I see someone on Rollerblades, it's a VERY rare event.

What happened to do them? I don't think wheelie shoes did them in. That's predominantly for kids. Razor scooter? Also seems to be for younger kids, too. Skateboarding? Seems to appeal to a different type of person.

Was it lack of versatility? You couldn't really wear them to the grocery store unless you carried street shoes, too.

Just wondering,
    Paul
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    When I was in college in the mid-90s, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing someone on Rollerblades. I've always ridden a bicycle and I can't count how many close calls I've had with Rollerbladers so I don't really miss them.

But now if I see someone on Rollerblades, it's a VERY rare event.

What happened to do them? I don't think wheelie shoes did them in. That's predominantly for kids. Razor scooter? Also seems to be for younger kids, too. Skateboarding? Seems to appeal to a different type of person.

Was it lack of versatility? You couldn't really wear them to the grocery store unless you carried street shoes, too.

Just wondering,
    Paul
    My wife and I ride bikes, and do rollerblades. We do that mostly in the winter months (if you can call them that ) when it's a bit cooler.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

for us, moving out to the country with a half mile of gravel driveway pretty much made roller blades useless. We have five pairs gathering dust on the top shelf in the mud room.
      Chr's

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I used to roller blade a lot. One factor that started to discourage me is that the choice for repaving of local residential streets has gone from smooth high quality rolled asphalt to a cheaper tar and stone mix that's just way too rough for my liking, meaning I'd have to drive somewhere to go roller blading. It's not a big deal to a car or bike, but it shakes the fillings out of me on roller blades. Add to the mix the fact that I'm older and lazier, and it just seems like too much effort!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Funny you mention it. I have been seeing a lot of Rollerbladers out lately. Seems to be gaining steam again, at least around here. I was in Play It Again Sports the other day and there were 2-3 people looking at Rollerblades.

I tried in the early 90's, but I quickly found I fell a lot more than I rolled.
          Joe

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

They're no longer "cool", now its motorized skateboards.

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Crockett
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Buffalo, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

that's an interesting observation. I used to roller blade a lot, but haven't in a bout 2 years. I didn't make a conscious decision to stop, my desire to do it just sort of faded away. I have a large park near my house and still see quite a few people there blading, but now that I think of it, they all look younger than I am....
              Al

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I think after a broken leg or two, most folks gave up on roller blades...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

If your roller blades don't have the rear brakes, you may find out a parked car or a tree can help you stop.

Comment

Working...