• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Catching a $1.00 HF Turning Tool

Chris' recent post about lathes and turning tools reminded me of the set of HF turning tools I bought about 3 years ago. There were 8 tools for $10.00 and with the 20% coupon, they cost me $8.00 or $1.00 per tool. I bought them to learn how to sharpen and they served that purpose well. However, while I was looking for good tools I used the set of cheapos. This is what happens when you get a catch with a $1.00 turning tool.
    Attached Files
    Richard
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't do that much turning, and my set of tools are likely similar to yours. I don't know that much about turning and when I got my lathe I picked up a cheap set of tools at a flea market. I think they were $20 for 10 tools. I figured I'd start off with a set like that to learn. I'm just going to offer a guess that it may be where you position the tool rest with relation to the subject piece and the tool. I've never had that problem. I do make sure that the tools are very sharp, and I try to keep the speed and the tool angle right, along with not digging too deep. You could likely take the tool to task with a hammer and a steel plate and pound it back into shape. Maybe not.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
      I don't do that much turning, and my set of tools are likely similar to yours. I don't know that much about turning and when I got my lathe I picked up a cheap set of tools at a flea market. I think they were $20 for 10 tools. I figured I'd start off with a set like that to learn. I'm just going to offer a guess that it may be where you position the tool rest with relation to the subject piece and the tool. I've never had that problem. I do make sure that the tools are very sharp, and I try to keep the speed and the tool angle right, along with not digging too deep. You could likely take the tool to task with a hammer and a steel plate and pound it back into shape. Maybe not.

Yeah, the tool rest was too far from the cut I was making. I was doing a deep cove and I only had the one long tool rest that came with the lathe so I couldn't get it any closer. I was experimenting since I was new at the lathe. That was my fault but the tools really are pretty poor. I've read their more expensive sets are not bad. In any case, I now have some Sorby tools and some shorter tools rests with which to work. Just thought it was funny how this thing bent.
      Last edited by phrog; 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM.
      Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

a little more hook in that thing and you can use it for bowl hollowing.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Kinda like a soft cloth buffing wheel on a bench grinder, snatches it out of your hand and bounces it off the side or your your head, where it dissapears under a workbench never to be found again.
          capncarl

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            a little more hook in that thing and you can use it for bowl hollowing.
            I've never done any bowl work. Is that called a "hooker?"
            Richard

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
              Kinda like a soft cloth buffing wheel on a bench grinder, snatches it out of your hand and bounces it off the side or your your head, where it dissapears under a workbench never to be found again.
              capncarl
              There one minute and gone the next without actually seeing it go - been there, done that.
              Last edited by phrog; 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM.
              Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                I've never done any lathe work at all. I wouldn't know a hooker if i saw one.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I've never done any lathe work at all. I wouldn't know a hooker if i saw one.
                  I've been told () they only come out after dark.
                  Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                    Could look like this.

Comment

Working...