X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Project apathy

I really don't want to tackle any projects lately. I want to tinker, sure. But something that's a finished project or is going to take time or money to do? Not really interested right now.

I'm not sure if it's the size of my shop, the heat, or how expensive material has gotten lately, but the will just isn't there to do anything nice, beyond the simple shop helpers size.

For example, I need a new computer desk. The last thing I want to do right now is make one, though. I'm probably going to drive down to Ikea tomorrow and pick up a nice big slab of laminated chipboard.

I'm sure it's just a phase I'm going through. Right now work is hot and heavy. I just got an offer from my old instructor for some PRN work and I had to turn it down. The price of being good at what I do, I suppose. I picked up a white wheel and a chunk of maple to practice turning and I have no idea when I'll be back in the shop again. Suppose I should have waited to buy the lathe.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sometimes you need a project that's a simple slam dunk.

Try these sanding blocks, very useful around the shop, make 8 for yourself and a few extra for your ww friends. Easy one-day project from a 2x4.
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...sanding+blocks
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I recently bought a scroll saw on CL. I love it because I can go out and crank out a simple, but complete, project in an hour or two. Very relaxing and fits in with my (and my kids and LOML's...) schedule very well.
      Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I very much know the feeling!

I've got one big project that I'd like to finish, and I find myself finding too many excuses to simply not go there.

The wife complained that the last batch of wood smelled, so I took it to the garage to air out for a couple of weeks, brought it back in and she still doesn't like it... so back out it went. Then there's the drawers I want to build, and the corner molding I need to fabricate, and on and on.

I don't know if it's just the challenge, the possibility of failure, or the fact that between the eyes and the muscle aches and the neck problems and the lack of space.... but the project ISN't getting done.

And for me, the guilt of that is keeping me from doing other, perhaps more enjoyable things too.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Sometimes you need a project that's a simple slam dunk.

Try these sanding blocks, very useful around the shop, make 8 for yourself and a few extra for your ww friends. Easy one-day project from a 2x4.
          What sanding blocks?

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I think it's a good thing when that feeling hits. Listen to it, shut down the shop, and don't feel guilty about not doing anything.

It's a chance to recalibrate why you have a shop and tools. For most of us here, we do this as a hobby and because it's fun. I'm sure we each have stretches where we unintentionally turn it into a mini-job (make kitchen cabinets, a new bookcase, some built-ins to go with the remodeling project, helping a friend/relative/neighbor) and end up not having as much fun as we think we are having.

I get to a point where I'm tired of thinking through projects. I like to design my own projects, or at least modify something that already exists. Thinking through the dimensions, adjusting scaling, figuring cut lists, choosing boards and maximizing the parts, all take mental energy. Sometimes it's nice to not have to think, but even following a set of plans requires it.

Sharpen some chisels, clean out a drawer or two, organize your fasteners, sweep the floor, tune up a tool or two. Just do something mindless that doesn't involve cutting or measuring. You'll get the groove back.

Breaks are good things.
            Brian

Comment

• Crockett
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Buffalo, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

I agree with Brian. Sometimes you just need to take a break for little while and do anything EXCEPT go into the workshop. Eventually the fire returns and you look forward to getting back to work. Don't sweat it, just accept that's how you feel now and sooner or later you'll want to return.
              Al

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

It is called "Low Testosterone".
                Alex V

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

I think a large part of my apathy is that my projects aren't turning out how I like them to. It's not a perfectionist streak, it's functional errors that I'm seeing. For example in the router table I just built, I made a measurement error and my shelves were trapezoidal. Between the size of the shop and the lack of time, I need to find a project where I can take my time and do parts of it and come back to it later, versus trying to do it all in a day or two.

If I had a garage shop or an attached large room, I think I wouldn't have a lot of these issues. So much time is spent setting up, running cables, clearing things out of the way...To call back to my gearhead days, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter.

However, it's really nothing I can do about. I'd love a new, bigger shop (or even taller might work), but it isn't happening probably for five years, easy. Suppose for now I should look at smaller, easier projects as get-overs until my confidence comes back. I have something like that on deck, a pair of simple half-lap deck gates. If I can nail that, I can see the road ahead.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

And I did end up picking my new desk out yesterday at the land of hex keys and chipboard. I wanted a big slab of something, and I got exactly that.

Metal frame and legs, replaceable top. Very sturdy.

Comment

• Denco
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Coming soon: California
                      • BT3100

I took a look at your blog and it appears you've been really busy this year in your shop and doing some projects with deadlines. Any chance you're going through some burnout? Also, if you've been tired lately, then tired often leads to mistakes and feeling overwhelmed, then unmotivated and apathetic.

Would it would good to have fun doing something else for awhile?

I went through some burnout after making a bunch of items for our church booth at the Christmas fair in 2012, then had a deadline of a shoe bench/hutch thing my DIL wanted. After that, I cleaned up the shop then closed it up for a season. When I finally went back, I wanted to be there.

Just a thought.
                      *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

CocheseUGA, have you considered another hobby like gardening?
                        I like to get away from the shop work by working in my veg garden. To me it is not like working in the yard or flower beds. These really have no purpose other than to look good, although they do make us feel good seeing them. Our Vegetable garden is functional but we also make it look good. It rewards us with fresh vegetables and fruit for our table and to share with friends. There is always something to do in the garden so even when I have a big shop project going I will drop it for an hour or so and visit the garden. Here in Ga. the weather permits year round gardening of some sort so I am not forced to stay indoors.
                        capncarl
                        Attached Files

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
                          CocheseUGA, have you considered another hobby like gardening?
                          That's an excellent idea. A hobby totally different from woodworking. Something like knitting for example...really. I read somewhere that there are NFL players that knit, and find it very relaxing. You can make cool stuff like sweaters, which, make for good gifts.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Denco
                            I took a look at your blog and it appears you've been really busy this year in your shop and doing some projects with deadlines. Any chance you're going through some burnout? Also, if you've been tired lately, then tired often leads to mistakes and feeling overwhelmed, then unmotivated and apathetic.

Would it would good to have fun doing something else for awhile?

I went through some burnout after making a bunch of items for our church booth at the Christmas fair in 2012, then had a deadline of a shoe bench/hutch thing my DIL wanted. After that, I cleaned up the shop then closed it up for a season. When I finally went back, I wanted to be there.

Just a thought.
                            I think you nailed it with deadlines. I've not done a lot of things for myself or just to build skills. I have two more things to make for people this year, and after that I think I will work on some things I really care about. Perhaps that will help.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

I almost have my desk setup, but I spent a little bit of time out in the shop. It was nice, because I had no plans or expectations. I went to clean up a bit, but found myself wanting to take another shot at the lathe.

I kept getting a lot of noise, so I stopped and cut some of the MDF from the toss pile. Two layers on the lower brace makes a nice sturdy shelf. I also have room for a plastic tub, I will put a bag of sand in it and the accessories can also go in.

Even with not sharpening the tools yet, this came out pretty well. Not supposed to be anything, just a practice job.

I don't know what that will do long-term, but it felt good.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...