• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

I think ours is a FoodSaver, too. We use the rolls in two widths. We buy meat in quantity and freeze portions for the two of us. Since the boys are both in college now, suddenly there's a lot more food in the house…

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
      I think ours is a FoodSaver, too. We use the rolls in two widths. We buy meat in quantity and freeze portions for the two of us. Since the boys are both in college now, suddenly there's a lot more food in the house…

g.
      I had three daughters 10 years between the oldest and youngest with one in the middle. I could tell when each one left for college because of more food around the house; and gas, electricity and water bills decreased each time one left! Know the feeling!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        Do any of you use a vacuum sealer for the kitchen? LOML asked about one but doesn't know what is best for us.

It is difficult to cook for two as some of you know, and even grilling/smoking, I hate to start the grill/smoker up just enough for two or for four pieces of chicken, hamburger, spare ribs etc. I generally make enough 6 or 7 but we do not always eat it all, nor do we eat all of what LOML cooks before we through it out. We have too much waste, but we both like leftovers and it sure beats cooking every day.

SO, today during a long drive back from near the MS Gulf coast, she mentioned the vacuum sealers for freezing and she had been looking at them.

1. Do you use them?

2. Bag type or roll type?

3. What not to get?

4. Are the portables OK / sufficient?

Your opinion would be appreciated.
        I started using them years ago when I was in college (living off campus, easier to cook on weekends and just pop something from the freezer into the microwave etc... And I flog the snot out of them. I am on my 3rd unit in 15 years. Some thoughts...

#1. The two main known brands are Food Saver, and Seal A Meal. I have owned both. The Food Saver machines use beefier components.

#2. The rolls are easier to size to your needs, and more cost effective, but they are harder to use.

#3. Just because it isn't directly touching the food doesn't mean it doesn't need to be washed. Wash out the vacuum resevoir after each use. It is quick, easy, and keeps nasty stuff from growing. (Not something I thought of when I got my first machine...).

#4. Make sure whatever machine you get, has the nipple to connect a remote hose to. The vacuum seal plastic containers are great for liquids.

We take advantage of sales on beef, and chicken breasts, and I always repackage venison when I get some with the food saver. They REALLY help drive down food costs!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by leehljp
          I had three daughters 10 years between the oldest and youngest with one in the middle. I could tell when each one left for college because of more food around the house; and gas, electricity and water bills decreased each time one left! Know the feeling!
          I just noticed the decrease in gas & electric costs. Kids are expensive!

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...