• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Vacuum Sealer (for freezing) for kitchen

Do any of you use a vacuum sealer for the kitchen? LOML asked about one but doesn't know what is best for us.

It is difficult to cook for two as some of you know, and even grilling/smoking, I hate to start the grill/smoker up just enough for two or for four pieces of chicken, hamburger, spare ribs etc. I generally make enough 6 or 7 but we do not always eat it all, nor do we eat all of what LOML cooks before we through it out. We have too much waste, but we both like leftovers and it sure beats cooking every day.

SO, today during a long drive back from near the MS Gulf coast, she mentioned the vacuum sealers for freezing and she had been looking at them.

1. Do you use them?

2. Bag type or roll type?

3. What not to get?

4. Are the portables OK / sufficient?

Your opinion would be appreciated.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Hank,
    Very good question, I am in the same situation. My wife and I are a small household. We both are decent cooks but most recipes "serve 6-8" which means we have to eat same meal 4 days in the row to finish. It gets boring, so we throw things away a lot. We don't use freezer bags now, we do use numerous plastic containers but bags will probably make food last longer.
    Alex V

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

[QUOTE=leehljp;518803]

1. Do you use them?
      Yes

2. Bag type or roll type?
      I got a box of stuff from Costco that had rolls and bags in it. I use them sort of interchangeably. The rolls are little more hassle because you have cut off a chunk and seal both ends. I'm sure the rolls are more economical though.

3. What not to get?
      I dunno.

4. Are the portables OK / sufficient?
      Mine is a Foodsaver brand. It's kind of small, so I guess it must be a portable. Works like a champ. It looks sort of like this, except white. I got it for $10 at a garage sale.

Your opinion would be appreciated.
      A common use for ours is to buy a big salmon at Costco. When I get home I slice into strips and put two in each bag for freezing and mark the bag with the date. When we're going to cook them I just pull out a bag in the morning for defrosting. We sometimes do the same for chicken. We cook beef a lot less than fish or chicken, but it works just as well.

I have a friend who makes fajitas on Monday night, freezing the leftovers. They just nuke them up during the week.

HTH,
      JR

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

We've had and used one for several years. I use the rolls. Typically grilled chicken, steaks... also if we buy bulk packages of steaks we can separate into meal size packages and freeze. Foodsaver I believe is the brand. I buy the rolls at Walmart that are not the same brand as the sealer because they are cheaper.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Thanks fellows! I appreciate this info. And others after this also!
          Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by vaking
            Hank,
            Very good question, I am in the same situation. My wife and I are a small household. We both are decent cooks but most recipes "serve 6-8" which means we have to eat same meal 4 days in the row to finish. It gets boring, so we throw things away a lot. We don't use freezer bags now, we do use numerous plastic containers but bags will probably make food last longer.
            So far, all we have used is freezer bags, but they were not vacuum sealed. On occasion we did see freezer burn on something we forgot about. Still, freezing some delicious food and pulling it out and heating in the microwave sure in nice! Especially some of LOML's cajun food that seems to increase in flavor the day after it is made and even more the third day (refirgerated between meals of course.)
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

We also have the white Foodsaver and use it the same as JR and Bade. Also get the rolls at Wally World.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

We have one that was a gift a few years ago. Wife says she can't get bags anymore. She's sleeping now and would get very upset if I woke her just to ask what brand. So, I'll find out later.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  She's sleeping now and would get very upset if I woke her just to ask what brand. So, I'll find out later.

Sounds like the voice of experience.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

I am still single and occasionally still go have dinner with the (getting up there) parents. Mom found one (first generation, small white one that could be called portable) at a garage sale for ($10), nearly unused, and I have her looking for another. Part of my job, requires me to do some of the shopping at places like Sam's club (meat dept. isn't meant for a single person), and I used to take my parents to Costco (they finally joined on one of those bargain deals), so we would typically split the meat up.
                    Mom, at first, only liked the premade bags, but once I figured out how to use the roll, and showed her, she went from wanting to send it home with me, to saying I could use it anytime, and just leave it there (since the shopping is closer to her house).

They have deals on some of the bargain of the day sites, occasionally.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      We have one that was a gift a few years ago. Wife says she can't get bags anymore. She's sleeping now and would get very upset if I woke her just to ask what brand. So, I'll find out later.

She's awake now. She said the brand is Reynolds. I checked online, and the bags are available. She remarked that the bags weren't in the stores anymore. She is a blonde, but I'm not saying that has anything to do with it.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Lee,

I use the FoodSaver V2244. http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Adva...vacuum+sealer]

I make sausage patties and seal and vacuum in portions. They come out great with no burn months later. I also have a water oven for sous vide cooking, where vacuum bags are a necessity. I use both rolls and bags. Foodsaver has quite an assortment of bags and rolls.

If you like to marinate foods, vacuum really accelerates the process. The downside is, home machines make it tough to vacuum with liquids. So, put the marinade in ice cube trays. Put a couple of the cubes in with the food and vacuum, the marinade will melt in the fridge.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

We have a Foodsaver and use it for foods that will be frozen for a while. My understanding of vacuum seal bags is to remove air to prevent freezer burn or preserve freshness due to exposure to air. If you are going to use the food before this loss of freshness or freezer burn happens then what is the point in buying the outrageous priced bags? For everyday leftovers and excess food we use the plastic tupperware look alike containers and do not bother dragging out the foodsaver.
                          capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                            If you are going to use the food before this loss of freshness or freezer burn happens then what is the point in buying the outrageous priced bags?
                            The point is (for me) is that we don't use good food before it gets "freezer burn" or "loses its freshness", so we have been discussing this. We relish the idea of freezing a couple of good smoked chicken breasts that are left over and will not be eaten for a few days.

For everyday leftovers and excess food we use the plastic tupperware look alike containers and do not bother dragging out the foodsaver.
                            capncarl
                            Yes we do this and find that we don't always eat what is in the tupperware quick enough. I/we would rather freeze it in a sealed vacuum bag and open it next week or two or even later. We always make a couple of gallons of "real" cajun gumbo when we do it and freeze portions for our girls when they come to visit or we go to their house. The same with other items. There are varied reasons that point us to using vacuum freeze bags or canisters.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• RAV2
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Massachusetts

I have a foodsaver and use it all the time over the past 10 + years I have had it.

I mostly use the 1 quart bags – purchased in a box of 20 – for about $10 at Kmart (close to me) or any other store (Sears or Walmart).

Pretty much, every item I freeze in in one of these bags. Venison for long term storage, left overs, blanched vegetables from the CSA, etc.

Some tips:

I use cheap gallon bags (that use ties) to put the food in and loosely wrap the food so that I can evacuate the air from the food. Upon use, you cut the seal (I always double seal the bags) and remove the food – the bag is clean and ready for re-use and you discard the cheap bag. If needed, I clean the bag and hang it up side down for a couple of days with a clothes pin.

You can freeze things like soft fruit on a cookie sheet and place the frozen items in a vacuum bag and seal it for excellent quality and long term storage. Cut the bag, use a couple of berries, and reseal as needed.
                              If something has a lot of liquid, place a papertowel in the bag prior to sealing in order to keep the sealing area clean.

By using the ‘cheap bag in a bag’ system allows me to place a note in each bag identifying the contents, date, and weight (using my Harbor Freight digital scale).

Garlic last a long time in the fridge when placed in a vacuum bag.

I make hunting food pouches during the season for neat and clean packing of the food in my pack. Cheese, chopped up bagel, and some sausage (peperoni or abrutze) all sealed up and kept neat and survives a long time.

You can also make pouches for matches, small flashlight and batteries, etc.

Lots of uses, saves tons of money, ….

Comment

Working...