X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

As a side note I do appreciate the moderation here by those in command of that situation and try my best to adhere to the rules. I have been in the past taken to the woodshed and reprimanded for violations of my postings. Perhaps I should leave the community for a while as you really all have figured out how to find deals and rather than incur the wrath of fellow woodworkers I can merely go to other websites that I currently visit regarding other hobbies and put this aside for now, arrividerci,au revoir, my friends,be back at a later date

Tommyt

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Tommy, this proves one of the points I made earlier. We don't want people to feel they need to go elsewhere. When we moderate something, it isn't meant as a punishment or to hurt someone's feelings. Mistakes happen.
      You risked taking an out of the box approach to discussing a current event. It didn't work out and wound up moderated.
      Again, danged if we do and the same if we don't.
      Lee

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
        Perhaps I should leave the community for a while
        I'm sorry, I hadn't realized this was one of your sensitive issues and that my comments would offend you. I would not have shared my comments had I realized we would not be able to have an adult discussion of this topic.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by tommyt654
          As a side note I do appreciate the moderation here by those in command of that situation and try my best to adhere to the rules. I have been in the past taken to the woodshed and reprimanded for violations of my postings. Perhaps I should leave the community for a while as you really all have figured out how to find deals and rather than incur the wrath of fellow woodworkers I can merely go to other websites that I currently visit regarding other hobbies and put this aside for now, arrividerci,au revoir, my friends,be back at a later date

Tommyt
          Hey Tommy, don't leave. There are many here who appreciate your posts. We don't all have to agree with every post to appreciate your opinions. Besides, the economy will falter if you quit posting all those bargains that so many of us take advantage of.
          Richard
          Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Tommy please don't leave or even consider leaving, your posts are greatly appreciated.

The only questionable thought I had with that particular post was the sort of hidden messaging that it might be intending to communicate. And to that, perhaps a very direct discussion would have been more appropriate and perhaps interpreted with less concern.

Humour is very difficult to convey in writing alone and thus it's interpretation is left entirely by the reader... which of course may have a background and experience that interprets the text much differently than the writer intended.

That was certainly the case with me, as I was left with the thought, "What are we trying to say here?"

(Yeah, I can be pretty "thick" as we used to say. )

I do think that we should be able to openly discuss some issues, "current events" perhaps, but since we have a ban on "politics" such issues like the recent ammunition shortage question can be really provacutive if the participants don't exact great care. That particular thread turned out to be pretty civil and interesting without stepping on the rules.

Again, we've all stepped on the edge of forum sensitivities, so I think none of us should be so sensitive that we contemplate leaving or stressing anyone. Personally, none among friends is unacceptable or without favor. Friends need to be comfortable with each other and equally accepted for what each of us bring to the forum.
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

The moderators were not unanimous in closing the thread.
              There was a distinct impression on my part that the post was initiated and worded in the way it was to "tweak" the moderators so to speak.

I think that a straightforward discussion of the real question being asked would have been legit in terms of subject matter - a discussion of public events.
              But the fact that it was underhanded and a deliberate challenge regardless of the humour put it over the top in SOME of the moderator's eyes.

I'm going to quote Rodney King and say, "Why can't we all get along?"
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

This brings to mind a question I have had for years here... How come no one ever uses Monty's Bar and Grille? Would that be an area where we could have more of a water cooler conversation while not keeping it in "print" permanently for a larger audience? Is that chat area a free for all area or do we still have the big three of limits there?
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  This brings to mind a question I have had for years here... How come no one ever uses Monty's Bar and Grille? Would that be an area where we could have more of a water cooler conversation while not keeping it in "print" permanently for a larger audience? Is that chat area a free for all area or do we still have the big three of limits there?
                  Mostly a free for all. What is said there stays there and leaves when the poster and those present leave. Years ago it was a very popular place with a small minority of the membership. Some life-long friendships were established.

An outright discussion of the current event would have been better and would likely not ended the way the moderated thread. Please remember as Lee reminded that we have an international membership. Bad people do horrendous things to others and usually the victims are innocent.

As far as current events go at one time I often heard about current events here first.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Words can be interpreted at will. An example...current events.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Words can be interpreted at will. An example...current events.

A "wave of unrest?"
                      Richard

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

A monsoon of opinons.
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...