• dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

3tb usb hdd....

takes an awful long time to format...

That is all.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Wait until you try to defrag it someday down the road. You will probably be able to go on a 10 vacation and get back just as in finishes.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
      Wait until you try to defrag it someday down the road. You will probably be able to go on a 10 vacation and get back just as in finishes.

Tom
      Defrag? Uh. oh yeah that thing Windows users have to do...

I am formatting the partitions ext3, the way the filesystem works it kind of defrags on the fly...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you won't need to defrag it until 2018.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

With such big disks you ought to at least use a USB3 interface. USB2 and 3TB? If you were to try and fill it at max theoretical USB2 speed, that would take about 2 weeks :-o

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Doesn't sound like a home system. LOML has a 1TB she manages.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

No defrag - "I'm running linux man, I thought you GNU"

Sorry for the geek humor but I heard it in a video and it cracked me up! :-)
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

3TB That's a lot of eggs in one basket...
                Erik

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

USB 2 and large drives can take so long to do things that it is actually painful. I used to set mine to do their thing overnight.

I switched to USB 3 for a 1tb drive and eSATA for a 500 gig external drive. What a difference. The USB 3 requred a ePCI card but the motherboard already had an eSATA plug-in.

I agree with Gerti that large external disks should only be offered with USB 3, or better, interfaces.

Of course, you could finish two or three woodworking projects while you wait for the USB 2 drives to do their thing.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

This may end up as removable media. And yes it is for home. But remember my home setup is far from typical... My initial intent was to hang it off of my router as a router attached NAS drive, split into /opt (for apps), swap, and /data partitions, then run a DNLA server from the router. I wanted to be able to run into the router from my phone, or laptop from wherever via the OpenVPN, and run my media right off the router. I have no intent to fill it all immediately, and honestly 2TB is enough. But Amazon had the 3TB unit for $10.00 more...

Sadly with the current firmware on the router (DD-WRT 2.4) the largest drive I can use is 2TB... I have a 2TB internal drive in my Windows box, and a spare USB 2.0 / SATA II enclosure that I might just press into service. The 3TB USB box can get tacked onto my server as a backup unit. The Win7 box really doesn't need 2, 2TB disks anyway...

Even at USB 2 speeds though. Partitioning, and formatting the filesystems on 3TB of disk took a total of 2 hours. All things considered, not horrid...

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've been wanting to upgrade my backup to a RAID system, so I don't have to worry about a drive crapping out and losing it for good. I just found an enclosure on Amazon that I'm thinking about getting. Only thing would be to buy two 3 TB drives to replace the 1TB and 2TB drives I have now.

Comment

Working...