• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lost load of lumber

Had to take a detour on the way home tonight. The usual freeway interchange exit was blocked by a jack-knifed 18-wheeler flat bed that spilled its load of what looked to me to be 2x6's. There were none on the road next to the 18-wheeler, but they carpeted the grass and the small trees to the left (outside) of the curve. The ones that got through the grove of trees were broken.

A lot of boards. What a waste of lumber.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

How many did you manage?
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I wonder what they do with that lading? The insurance company probably sells it for salvage? Back in my younger years I was a r.road mechanic (Penn Central) and would get called out on mainline wrecks. Speed was the word and if it couldn't be moved easily it was crushed up with D-9 CATs and pushed off to the side. I saw them destroy wedding gowns, Girl Scout cookies, office equipment, lawn chems and more. Usually this happened at night - yeah, it would - and all the locals came out to watch. They were like rats around the grainery, stealing what was safe to get away with. One night three covered hoppers of corn split with one standing on end and the truck hanging from the center pin 40 or so feet overhead and us working under it. That's 300 TONS of corn spilled on the tracks, being pushed around by three CATs. By morning there wasn't a bit left. Somehow, they managed to get a lot of it out of the ballast.
      Last edited by ironhat; 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I've seen a few lost loads here...trucks winging it on an off ramp. They might just salvage what is still good.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

ironhat's comments remind me of a joke:

A truck driver, hauling a tractor-trailer load of computers, stops for a beer. As he approaches the bar, he sees a big sign on the door that says, "COMPUTER NERDS NOT ALLOWED - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!" He enters and sits down.

The bartender comes over to him, sniffs, and says that he smells kind of nerdy. He then asks him what he does for a living. The truck driver explains to him that he drives a truck, and the smell is just from the computers he is hauling. The bartender serves him a beer and says, "OK, truck drivers aren't nerds."

As he is sipping his beer, a skinny guy walks in wearing a pair of glasses with tape around the middle, a pocket protector with twelve kinds of pens and pencils, and a belt that is at least a foot too long. The bartender, without saying a word, pulls out a shotgun and blows the guy away. The truck driver asks him why he did that.

The bartender replied, "Don't worry. The computer nerds are in season because they are overpopulating Silicon Valley. You don't even need a license."

So the truck driver finishes his beer, gets back in his truck, and heads for the freeway. Suddenly, he veers to avoid an accident, and the load shifts. The back door breaks open and computers spill out all over the road. He jumps out and sees a crowd already forming, snatching up all of the computers. The scavengers are comprised of engineers, accountants and programmers - computer geeks. Each of them wearing the nerdiest clothes he has ever seen.

He can't let them steal his whole load. So remembering what happened in the bar, he pulls out his gun and starts blasting away, killing several of them instantly. A highway patrol officer comes zooming up and jumps out of the car screaming at him to stop.

The truck driver said, "What's wrong? I thought computer nerds were in season."

"Well, sure," says the patrolman, "But you can't bait 'em!"
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

This happened on the Hwy near me yesterday. http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/...ls-qew-traffic

They said it resembled a tossed salad!
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

there was a picture and video at KHOU here
              of the wreck:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Five six pick up sticks

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  there was a picture and video at KHOU here
                  of the wreck:
                  Where is that? Looks like NW 610 perhaps?
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Where is that? Looks like NW 610 perhaps?
                    I59 Southbound exit to N Loop 610 Westbound
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Could be worse. Could be a gasoline tanker like what flipped over under 610 by 59 SW oh I guess it was 10 years or so ago now... Burned so hot there was damage to the concrete of the overpass... It amazes me how easily some truck drivers forget about centrifugal force...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

That's a lot of BT3Central 2 x 6 contest material.
                        Brian

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                          Could be worse. Could be a gasoline tanker like what flipped over under 610 by 59 SW oh I guess it was 10 years or so ago now... Burned so hot there was damage to the concrete of the overpass... It amazes me how easily some truck drivers forget about centrifugal force...
                          That was Sept 7, 2004.

some time before that in the 80's I think there was an liquid ammonia truck went from SW freeway 59 North bound onto W610 northbound ramp, They think he fell asleep and went over the railing and landed on the 59 main lanes. Killed a whole bunch of people who drove right into him then proceeded to kill and maim a bunch of people who stopped short but inhaled the ammonia with serious lung burns. Sam intersection as you mention. The grass was dead all around the interchange for months after the accident.
                          That was 5/26/1976.

news items from the CHronicle
                          35 years later: Houston’s deadly ammonia truck disaster
                          The crash itself took seconds. The ensuing ammonia cloud lasted a few minutes. But to those affected, the pain likely lasted years and decades to come. May almost got away from me until I managed to look into the 1976 ammonia truck crash that... more »
                          J.R. Gonzales Houston Chronicle5.26.11 6:23 AM
                          transport accident | hazardous materials | heart disease
                          Loop open after all-night cleanup of fiery wreck
                          The northbound lanes of the West Loop 610 near the Galleria, closed by a fiery tanker-truck crash on Tuesday, were repaired overnight and re-opened this morning just in time for rush hour traffic. more »
                          RHEA DAVIS and S.K. BARDWELL Houston Chronicle9.8.04 5:30 AM
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...