• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Trike Conversion

As too many years add up, handling a 900 pound motorcycle is getting to be more of a challenge. Problems with my left knee make it hard at stop lights sometimes.

The only factory trikes made are the Can Am reverse trike and the Harley TriGlide. Harley reintroduced the trike in '08 with the first year made by Lehman and them built them in house sincethe '09 model. Either one new will start at about $32,000.

I have been looking at the various kits available to convert my '02 Electraglide to a trike. Straight axle kits started about $6,500 and independent suspension kits average another $1,000 from each manufacturer. Kits that come complete down to the wheels and tires start closer to $7,500.

From what I read on various forums is that the IS systems give a smoother ride but, obviously, are more complicated with more required matenance and a higher potential for repair problems. The advantage to the straight axle, other than simplicity of design, is that they are more stable in cornering with less tendency to 'driift'.

I had decided to go with a solid axle kit because of the cost and maintenance. I had about decided to go with a Champion solid axle and talked to my credit union. I could borrow enough against cxmy bike for the kit but would need to come up with the extra for the paint work.

Watching CL I was seeing Electraglide conversions going for $19,000 to $26,000. Then I got lucky. A Motor Trike dealer near Dallas listed a used Trog kit for $2,000 complete except for the wheels and tires for an '04 - '06 Glide. The new kit comes with chrome Torque Thrust wheels that I don't really like anyway. The story behind it is the owner brushed a guard rail and cracked the fiberglass in 2 places on the left wheel well and decided to have the kit removed and go with an IS set up. The damange isn't bad from the pics and will be a fairly eazy fix. The kit was also upgraded to LED tail lights ($190 option) and includes the trailer hitch kit ($140). Other than color, the main difference to the one I am buying and the one pictured is that the running boards are not included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trikepg_trog_gallery-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	798284

I called Motor Trike in Troup, Texas and found the difference in the kits between this one and one for my '02 is the rear pulley that I can buy from them for $150. Richard also told me the wheels are a 15" x 7" with a 5 on 4 1/2" (5 on 4.114.3mm) lug pattern. This is about the most common lug pattern used and includes the Ford Ranger/Explorer and Mazda B series trucks. I found 2 wheels I liked that should be easy to find in a junk yard for ~$50 each.

Name:	Ranger Wheel (640x596).jpg
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	798285

Name:	Mazda wheel (640x480).jpg
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	798286

In either case, I will modify the center cap to display either the Harley logo or maybe a Marine Corps seal. Une of my neighbors makes custom knives and has a metal lathe if I need to fabricate a new center cap. This will probably be needed if I go with the Mazda rim.

One more CL find to sweeten the pot. A guy bought a Motor Trike reveerse gear kit to install on a buddy's bike. His buddy hit some financial problems and didn't have the money. Rather than returning the kit and paying the 20% restok fee, Richard decided to do someone else a favor and put it on CL at 29% off for $1,000. When it didn't sell he called the company and found out he was outside the return time window. He has lowered the price to $900. I will call him today to arrange payment and shipping.

Went to the CU yesterday and have $5,000 sitting in my account. I am going up Tuesday to pick up the kit. After paying for the kit, reverse, new pulley, taxes and some shipping, I will have about $1900 to cover whels, tires and paint. One of the bodyshops on my route said he could paint the trike body and my fairing (It's faded) for about $500. As I said, I plan to junk yard the rims and will go with the same or better tires that come with a new kit.

After the trike is on the road, I already have orders to build a trailer to pull the Boss' wheel chair! The plans are bouncing around in the brain housing group to use light weight torsion axles and put the platform below the wheel centers with about 5-6" ground clearance with onboard storage for a pair of light aluminum ramps.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

That's gonna be great. You sure did enough research. The center caps might be easier if you look for some type of medallion that might fit. Something like the oversized coin type commemorative medallions.

I've found with car and bike parts, nothing goes to the junkpile (like the rims). Somebody out there might want to buy whatever that is. You could recoup some of your money. You might be able to do some of the fiberglass work. Many of us here have experience with working with it and would be glad to give some suggestions. And for the floorboards, they can be a comfort thing you could add later.

Good luck with the conversion, and keep us posted with WIP pictures if you can.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I really enjoyed reading your post with the searches and decisions you made. I know you are going to enjoy it.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by leehljp
        I really enjoyed reading your post with the searches and decisions you made. I know you are going to enjoy it.
        Same here! Certainly well thought and reasoned with all your ducks in a row. When it comes down to starting the build it should go pretty quickly. To my eye, the topwheel looks better - I could see it with the 'swooshes' around the holes being color matched to the bike with the Marine Corp ensignia as teh center-cap. Good on ya, bud!

Edit: Is a color change planned or any other cosmetics or gadgets while the bike is being torn down.
        Last edited by ironhat; 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM. Reason: See Edit above
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat

Edit: Is a color change planned or any other cosmetics or gadgets while the bike is being torn down.
          I like the color of that trike.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

C-Man, I have the stock floorboards, both rider and passenger. What is in the picture that I won't have is the fiberglass piece that runs under them. It is an expensive option that I'm not sure I even like the looks of. The only real advantage to them is they can be set up with an extra set of driving/fog lights.

I have done some, but not a lot of 'glass work. Enough to feel confident in making the body repairs myself. Plan is to grind some from the inside and reinforce the cracks with 2-3 layers of cloth. Once that sets hard I will sand down the outside and add one layer of cloth to smooth and bind the damaged areas them top it with gel coat. There is a wax additive that goes in the gel coat that rises to the top when it is applied to seal it from the air so it will cure. The body is made with polyester resin which is a little easier to work with than the epoxy resins.

Chiz, I am going to stay with the original color of my bike, Luxury Blue.

Name:	4-8AF7F2E7-1610713-800.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	786398

The only changes will be to reupholster the seat and backrests in grey, and maybe to add some graphics. Lethal Designs makes some that are silkscreened onto a clear background that resist fading and work well under clearcoat. I have had some of their smaller ones on my tourpac for about 2 years and they still look like new. I don't want to go too far with personalizing the look as it makes it harder to sell if I decide to later on.

I'm with you on the wheel choice, but most everyone seems to like the symmetric look of the Mazda wheel. Like the wife said, it's my bike and my decision. I could be happy with either one and the final choice will probably come down to the one that has the center cap that is easiest to modify. Either way, the background will stay grey to match the upholstery.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy

I'm with you on the wheel choice, but most everyone seems to like the symmetric look of the Mazda wheel. Like the wife said, it's my bike and my decision. I could be happy with either one and the final choice will probably come down to the one that has the center cap that is easiest to modify. Either way, the background will stay grey to match the upholstery.
              What are the two diameters of the caps?

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

The center (logo) section of the Mazda is 1 5/8". Haven't measured the Ranger cap yet. May do some junk yard digging on Monday to get some more measurements.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Wow Pappy, you have a heck of a project in the works! It's great that you found a way to not give up the ride you like ;-)
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • westchester cnty, ny

seems that as the boom ages, there'll be more of these than ever.
                    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

Cool project Pappy.
                      I remember when I rode, I used to pull up to a stop light and see how long I could just sit there without putting my feet down. I was good at that and got lots of comments from others. I could not compete with yours though.
                      Lee

Comment

• Sweet Willy
                        Established Member
                        • May 2011
                        • Near Chattanooga, TN
                        • ridgid 3650

Looking forward to seeing it all finished. Have fun with it.
                        In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
                        Dennis

Sweet Willy
                        sigpic

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Stytooner
                          Cool project Pappy.
                          I remember when I rode, I used to pull up to a stop light and see how long I could just sit there without putting my feet down. I was good at that and got lots of comments from others. I could not compete with yours though.
                          I was pretty good at that when I had my 650 Yamaha Special and with the 800 Suzuki Special. Don't even try it with a 900# Harley. I was also younger then....
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Picked up the kit yesterday. I'll post some picks after I get it unloaded and a stand thrown together to set the body on for the repairs.
                            Last edited by Pappy; 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
                              I was pretty good at that when I had my 650 Yamaha Special and with the 800 Suzuki Special. Don't even try it with a 900# Harley. I was also younger then....
                              Reality bites when you pull up to a light, go to put your foot down, and there's a pothole there. BTW...there's a trick with picking up a downed bike...know what it is?

Comment

Working...