• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyF
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003
    • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Car code scanner ???

Anyone have any recommendations for an engine auto scanner to read the codes?

Handheld or computer/software based?

Thx
    Andy
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

harbor freight ones are cheap and they read the codes. Some of them display the english text notes that go with the numeric codes. Both of mine have worked OK
    Handheld seems right to me why need a computer. even if it only displays codes you can look the codes up on the computer later.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

There are a couple classes of code readers out there now:
      1: very basic "read the code number" models. These are typically the smaller & cheaper ones. You look up the number in a book. Many can read only the standard OBD-II codes and can not read manufacturer extensions. They can also reset the "check engine" light.

2: fancier ones that can display the code number translation in words.

3: Logging ones that can record data for several seconds or minutes. These don't just display the error codes, they can read and record various "sensor readout" values, computer output values, etc. Fun if you're a car techno nut or have some serious debugging to do. Most of the laptop/smart-phone software + hardware kits fit this category.

Classes 2 & 3 can often be software upgraded (like upgrading maps in a navigation/GPS unit) to work with cars built after the code reader was manufactured.

Note that there are now several standards/protocols on cars. What used to be simple OBD-II (initially there were two different signaling methods used in OBD-II) has since been expanded... many new cars use the "CANBus" protocol which some but not all code readers support. See what your car uses/requires (may need a factory service manual or a Chilton/Haynes/Clymer style DIY repair book to get this info) or just buy the "most compatible" code reader: one that does OBD-I, OBD-II, and CANBus.

Like PCs and Laptop computers, there are only a handful of manufacturers for code readers but a lot more "brands." Compare specs and the overall shape of the case & button layout between some units and you'll see they're almost identical twins... just sporting different colored clothes. One may have better manufacturer support (better manuals, better software upgrades) but often the software upgrade for the "quality manufacturer" will work on the no-name one as well.

mpc

Comment

• trungdok
        Established Member
        • Oct 2012
        • MA

If you have a bluetooth enabled device (laptop or smartphone), then try bluetooth enabled scanner. Search for them on Amazon. They are about $15 each. I borrowed one from a friend and I like it very much. You will have to download a free obd-ii software/app to view the information.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I'm thinking that if one needs a code reader maybe it's time for a new car.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by trungdok
            If you have a bluetooth enabled device (laptop or smartphone), then try bluetooth enabled scanner. Search for them on Amazon. They are about $15 each. I borrowed one from a friend and I like it very much. You will have to download a free obd-ii software/app to view the information.
            Be careful with those - the $15 modules are typically illegal clones of the ELM products and often don't work or work well, as they don't really comply with the specs. There have been reports of them blowing ECUs and causing other damage - along with the frustration of a DOA product.

If you are looking to go this route, I would suggest paying the $50 for a name brand that is fully supported by the software. These units will allow you to capture freeze frame and live data, stimulate sensors, etc.

If all you want to know is the code(s) that turned on your check engine light, both Autozone and Advance Auto will scan it for you for free, as well as loan you a more capable tool for free.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

I've got an Acton that translates. Can get the model number later this morning. Needed some of the functions so it would work in our MB. Use it rarely, but very handy when i do. The first use led to cleaning the MAF instead having to have the turbo investigated (as was suggest by a dealer service dept.). Spent less than $10 on the MAF cleaner, instead of at least $500 on a service that would have done the same thing.

The internet is a great tool--and they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true!!
              earl

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

Originally posted by woodturner
                Be careful with those - the $15 modules are typically illegal clones of the ELM products and often don't work or work well, as they don't really comply with the specs. There have been reports of them blowing ECUs and causing other damage - along with the frustration of a DOA product.

If you are looking to go this route, I would suggest paying the $50 for a name brand that is fully supported by the software. These units will allow you to capture freeze frame and live data, stimulate sensors, etc.

If all you want to know is the code(s) that turned on your check engine light, both Autozone and Advance Auto will scan it for you for free, as well as loan you a more capable tool for free.
                I'm curious on this so I did a Google search but couldn't find any real story on this. Could you link me to some? Thanks. The scanner I'm thinking of is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-Bluet...bluetooth+obd2

I just can't imagine reading the codes would blow out the ECU -- even if you're trying to reset the code. The standard for reading and resetting isn't anything mind blowing. Being a software eng. by trade, if I'm to (hypothetically) make illegal copy of another software, I would just take it instead of messing around with the code base so that it wouldn't work anymore. I have, however, heard of stories that the CD comes with some of the scanner comes with viruses. I didn't have that issue, though.

Comment

• AndyF
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I'm thinking that if one needs a code reader maybe it's time for a new car.

That's certainly at the top of my preferred solution list; however, it's a bit low on the reality list.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by trungdok
                    I'm curious on this so I did a Google search but couldn't find any real story on this. Could you link me to some?
                    https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=2379.0, for one. It's a little dated but they reviewed a number of the scan tool clones.

Biggest issues seem to be that the clones won't work with the more useful software (the software blocks clones) and that they just don't work. Damage to the ECU seems to be rare, but has been reported. Of course, as a software engineer, you might also be sensitive to ethical issues such as theft of IP - the clones are stealing the IP from ELM, who designed and developed the ELM interface. A number of the clone makers have been shut down, product confiscated, etc. but there are so many small time sellers they obviously have not caught them all.

Thanks. The scanner I'm thinking of is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-Bluet...bluetooth+obd2
                    The reviews for that product list many of the common complaints - doesn't work, not compatible, etc.

I just can't imagine reading the codes would blow out the ECU -- even if you're trying to reset the code. The standard for reading and resetting isn't anything mind blowing.
                    The problem is the hardware, not the software - poorly constructed interfaces can short out the wires on the interface. On many cars, there are no buffers or any other protection between the connector and the ECU. Short an interface pin to 12V, or worse yet -12V, and it's likely to damage the ECU.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Bluetooth one with Torque software on my Android... Less than $30.00 works great...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I have both a Harbor Freight scanner and Torque running on a Samsung tablet. Both work fine. If you already have a Apple or Android phone, Torque would be the cheapest and appears to be the most functional. I haven't used Torque to read codes, my cars haven't thrown any since I got it, but I've hooked it up to both my Suzuki suv and my BMW convertible. It works well on both to give me extra virtual gauges. It will log data too. I tried the code reader part and it executes easily. The device to plug into the OBDII port was about $25 and I bought the "professional" version of torque for $5. By far the cheapest way to do this that I know of and it is more functional than at least the low end scanners. But to simply read and reset codes, my Harbor Freight device works fine.

Jim

Comment

Working...