X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Burn vs dispose

I wanted to start on one of two projects today, but I realized I have way too much clutter in my shop, primarily scrap. So, I started eliminating most of it today.

I have a ton of 2x4 remnants (non-PT), MDF and plywood that I need to do something with. The MDF is going to be disposed of no matter what. I'll be spending the next few days on the table saw cutting them up in little pieces for trash pickup.

The plywood and the pine, though, I was considering burning it. I'm not sure if that would be easier or not, as I'd have to clean up anything that didn't completely burn and bag it anyway. I'm probably looking at about thirty bags or so of scrap if I cut it all up, and about a month's worth of pickups. The other option is to rent a roll-away at about $200. While money isn't as tight as it used to be, I'd rather not spend it like that.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

There is no scrap wood in a woodworker shop

Seriously, if it has gotten to that point and none are salvageable - can you make a pile outside the shop and take some out for trash pick up little by little so that you can still use your shop? Will you get into a problem with the neighbors? Will the neighbors let you use their cans?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

The ply and non PT can be burned and shouldn't leave anything but ashes. I burn PT and MDF but I am outside the city and can run an open fire. About the only shop scrap I don't burn is masonite. The MDF takes a while to burn but does burn completely.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

I do have quite a bit of scrap. I spent today cutting up the plywood left over from the last stage of remodel (four months? I've been lazy) that were outside, and took all the pine over to the side to possibly be burnt. Cut up about half the MDF and all that got bagged.

There's still a ton left, mostly plywood. I'll probably just cut and dispose as I can.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Are you burning it in a manner that is useful for heat, or you just burning it for disposal?

Rather than just dispose of it in that manner, do you have neighbors, friends, or family that can use it for heat in their fireplace or stove. I don't know Atlanta, but up here in NY, there's all kinds of woodstoves and fireplaces in use.

I have neither and am not interested enough to know whether pine and ply scraps can be used in that manner in the metro area. I do have friends how use it in there country located wood stoves. So I never have a problem with giving it away, though I generally don't produce a lot of scrap.

Something to think about is just checking the local stores seeing how firewood "bundles" are moving. You may be able to find someone who would more than welcome good clean wood scraps.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by cwsmith
            Are you burning it in a manner that is useful for heat, or you just burning it for disposal?

Rather than just dispose of it in that manner, do you have neighbors, friends, or family that can use it for heat in their fireplace or stove. I don't know Atlanta, but up here in NY, there's all kinds of woodstoves and fireplaces in use.

I have neither and am not interested enough to know whether pine and ply scraps can be used in that manner in the metro area. I do have friends how use it in there country located wood stoves. So I never have a problem with giving it away, though I generally don't produce a lot of scrap.

Something to think about is just checking the local stores seeing how firewood "bundles" are moving. You may be able to find someone who would more than welcome good clean wood scraps.

CWS
            All good suggestions, however it's just not the same down here. Firewood is super cheap, because the demand just isn't the same. I might save the pine and some of the hardwood for a fire pit a few family members have, but yes, I'd be burning just for fun/disposal. We have a fireplace that's never had the cover removed in the four years we've lived here. My parents use theirs often in the winter, though.

I've seen advice not to burn too much dimensional lumber at a time in a fireplace as it supposedly burns hotter. Can't verify that. Might take some of the pine and run it through the jointer and then create some firestarters for Christmas gifts.

Comment

• thiggy
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Alabama.
              • Craftsman Contractor

My storage building is so full of rough cedar and pecan that I milled from trees downed on our farm in Miss. after Katrina, as well as lumber and scraps that I can't bring myself to discard!! Every year or two I have to cull out some of the stuff least likely to be re-used.
              Living in an incorparated suburb of Birmingham, I saw up my discards into a size that will fit in my garbage container and it is picked up by the regular garbage service. However at our farm in Miss, there is no land fill closer than the next county, so we burn everything that will burn, and bring the rest of the non-burnables (household things like glass and cans) scrap metal, old fencing, etc.) back home to Birmingham and have it picked up with the trash.
              SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• charliex
                • Mar 2004
                • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Dimensional lumber is not good for indoor fireplace use as it burns really fast and shoots sparks when it pops. I tried using rough cut oak pallet wood in a open fireplace once and that was almost a disaster. Currently I give my scraps to a neighbor to use in his outdoor fire pit. Friends come over for fire, conversation and bring micro brews to pass. Good time had by all. My problem is that as I watch him stoke the fire I see pieces that I think maybe were to good to dispose of. Off cuts generate conversation when someone notices a piece and inquires as to what was I building when that was cut.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Chris, Your biggest problem is that county code for burning in Cobb , demands and requiredly good they do that you maintain the fire and be there during the entire burn,This takes valuble time away from the shop, so I'd suggest cutting as you are and hauling away to the dump or simply allow your garbage folks to do it , http://fire.cobbcountyga.gov/marshal_burn.htm

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Yep, I read up on the code last year when I was considering burning leaves. I dunno about disposing being any faster, I was outside all day yesterday tending to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Rslaugh
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                      • Ridgid

Bagster?

another option other than a roll away is the Bagster, usually available at the BORG.

Ready for that big clean out, but don't need an entire Dumpster? Bagster offers smaller, personalized solutions for hauling away waste.

If you can get a roll away for $200 it doesn't save much but here that would be $300+ depending on what you put into it. You buy the Bagster for $29 (IIRC) and then the pickup fee depends on the area you live in. For us it was around $130. They hold an amazing amount of stuff and I didn't have to get a permit because it could go in my driveway which a rolloff couldn't because of the wires overhead.

I'd definitely do it again.
                      Rick
                      IG: @rslaugh_photography
                      A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                      And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                      ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Shep
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Columbus, OH
                        • Hitachi C10FL

What about a craigslist posting free wood? I'm always on the prowl to score free wood. If you have to cut it up it must be useful for something or to someone.
                        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Since we don't cook over it, I tend to bundle up my pine, hardwood, and ply scraps (all non PT) and take them on family camping trips in the winter. We just use it to keep warm in the evening before everyone heads into an RV or a tent for the night...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Shep
                            What about a craigslist posting free wood? I'm always on the prowl to score free wood. If you have to cut it up it must be useful for something or to someone.

There's also www.freecycle.org
                            a site for making postings for free stuff for recycling purposes to keep it out of the dump to protect the environment.
                            post your scrap wood as wood cutoffs, list the approx volume and composition.
                            Toy makers might love that stuff.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

A couple of thoughts... In the most recent Wood Whisperer podcast Marc made a point that any domestic hardwood is never scrap to those that barbacue/ smoke thier meats. So there's that.

Also, if you have scrap hardwood, you can always cut it up into strips and give away to anyone wanting to get into pen turning (or most any turning, as segmented work can be made from that scrap). So if you really want to get rid of it, I'd check out those forums and see if any newbies want to pay for shipping. Then you're getting rid of your scrap and helping out someone just starting out.

Comment

Working...