• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

A phone call...

...that no parent ever wants to receive came today. My daughter brings me the phone saying that his brother Richard wanted to talk to me. I knew right away that this was not going to be good. As Richard (16) was on his way home from the local skateboard park he fell. I jump in the Yukon and go pick him up. After a quick sidewalk exam off to the ER we went suspecting a broken clavicle.
    Sure enough after an x-ray and about an hour the er Doc showed us the pic. Broken it is.

I think he will be selling his skateboards now.

What really sucks about this is this fall he took up cyclocross racing and won his first race yesterday. Not only did he win but 2nd place was 15 seconds back! Cyclocross is a bicycle race on dirt, grass, tarmac, and includes lots of tight turns and barriers that need to be gone over. A primer on cyclocross. Now his season is over.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to hear that Mark, speedy recovery to your son!! At least he won his previous race, something for him to reflect on while his injury heals and the season passes.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to hear that. I got a few busted bones, scraped up knees etc... I still have my skateboards... Haven't been on them in 20 years, but I still have them...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The way you worded that, I thought it was going to be much worse. When I hear that no parent wants, my experience has been death or unconscious, in serious or worse condition.

He will get better, and don't try to force him to give up his skateboards, as he may just borrow someone else's then. Glad it wasn't worse.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

[QUOTE=Black wallnut;508371
          I think he will be selling his skateboards now.

[/QUOTE]

Don't bet the farm on that. After raising 2 boys (the 'baby' is 35 now), I found out they bounce back quickly and don't lose the pasion for activities they love because of accidents.

As LR said, don't try to push him to give up skateboarding. What would you're feeling be if the accident had happened during a race?

Hope he mends fast and gets back to the activities he wants to continue.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I know a guy that recently went on a bike ride with a friend in Couer D'alene, Idaho.
            It seems the friend crashed and got mangled up pretty badly but he insisted the guy he was riding with finish the ride.

By your logic, that guy and his friend should sell their bicycles.
            After all we wouldn't want any more accidents.

Not to mention any names, but the guy that didn't crash is cycling for health.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
              Bandsaw Box Momma
              • Apr 2005
              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

And to add to the story. I was not home yet from the west side of the mountains. I was traveling home with my parents after I did a walk over there yesterday and found out after I sent my husband a text that we had to change a tire on the camp trailer my dad was pulling that he had to take our son to the ER. I was worried the rest of the way home and praying that my dad would go fast but things worked out and I got to my parents house about the time Mark was done at the hospital and getting perscriptions.

Hopefully we will find out what will happen tomorrow morning at this doctor appointment.
              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Dal300
                I know a guy that recently went on a bike ride with a friend in Couer D'alene, Idaho.
                It seems the friend crashed and got mangled up pretty badly but he insisted the guy he was riding with finish the ride.

By your logic, that guy and his friend should sell their bicycles.
                After all we wouldn't want any more accidents.

Not to mention any names, but the guy that didn't crash is cycling for health.
                He is the one that says he'll be selling his skateboards since skateboarding caused his injury and took him out of bicycle racing.

©

Comment

• paultnl
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2004
                  • United Kingdom.

I am glad your son is on the mend. It reminds me of the years I have had watching my son play rugby (like your football but without the padding) and praying for no career stopping injuries.

Now that he is 6'8" 115kg and a whisker away from making the England U20's team, the Olympic squad want him to row so now I have to worry about him drowning.

Comment

• NewDIYer
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2012
                    • Southington, CT
                    • Ryobi BT3000

These are every parent's worries..

I have often worried about such 'what if' scenarios. Then I realize that this is part of their growing-up.

All you have done is what a good parent would do and will do as well.

Wish him speedy recovery!

Comment

• greenacres2
                      • Dec 2011
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

My oldest son (now nearly 27 with my first grandson on the way!!) rode freestyle bmx for a time. We actually got kind of used to the calls, and the mild interrogations by the ER staff at various hospitals when they saw bruising in the kind of places normally associated with abuse. He specialized in vert ramps, and the worst fall was from nearly 25 feet--thank God for a good helmet that was worn and buckled correctly.

He did a little touring, and when he was travelling i got in the habit of keeping a full tank of fuel and a shaving kit ready. He was good (not x-games material, but very good), and it was a blast to watch him. When he finally got a full-time job with benefits (and his own deductible!!) he quit riding--said he couldn't afford the time off or the bills. I wonder why he didn't think of that when it was my time off and checkbood???

It's tough to see your kid hurt, but it's great that he's keeping fit. I'm sure you'll support him as he finds his own way--the mark of good parents!!

earl

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Update:
                        Richard will require surgery to fix the break. He'll have issues with airport metal detectors for the rest of his life. The good news is he'll heal faster and could be back on the bike in about a month, maybe sooner. No more cyclocross this year or even trail riding but road rides he will be able to do.

©

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

Mark,
                          In my younger days I used to bike race, I don't think I can count the scars and breaks from falls and pile-ups.
                          I also was addicted to riding Harleys, now be thankful your son doesn't go there. major road rash and breaks from that too.

Also, don't let him get into woodworking, I get a 20% discount when I get a manicure.

I think I've been hurt worse than I was in two tours in SE Asia.

But kids heal, usually.

Bruce
                          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                            Bandsaw Box Momma
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Our oldest is scheduled for surgery in the morning (Monday) bright and early at the hospital. And then hopefully the pain will be gone for him and he will be able to sleep in his own bed in a few days, which he will be really happy about. Sleeping on the couch sitting up or in the chair is making for long nights for him. Mark or I will post an update for everyone after he is out and done with surgery.
                            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Praying for him and all of you!

Hank
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...