• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Incandescent light bulbs

I've stopped hoarding tools and started hoarding light bulbs!

Most of you probably know that 100w incandescent light bulbs are not allowed to be manufactured or imported into the US. 75w and 60w bulbs will be the next ones to disappear.

Admittedly, I am not as energy conscious as I should be. But we remodeled our 1908 bungalow a few years ago and included antique and reproduction light fixtures throughout the house that were appropriate to the period ... a period that used incandescent light bulbs. Most of them use exposed clear bulbs and emit a warm homey glow. All of them have dimmers. Well, I just don't think those pig tail bulbs look right in these type of fixtures. You can see one in the upper corner of this picture.

We have four ceiling fixtures in the kitchen, plus closets and table lamps that use 100w frosted bulbs. I replace the bulbs once or twice a year. Couldn't find them anywhere until today. I found some on close out at a Home Depot (not shelved in the light bulb dept), so I bought three cases of 48 100w bulbs at $15/case. The same case of 48 100w bulbs that I bought for $15 is on eBay for $35 plus shipping.

Although still available, I'm hoarding bulbs for the rest of our fixtures, too: 60w clear; 11w clear; 100-200-300w mogul base; 300w clear standard base; plus three way bulbs.

Don't have a clue where I'm gonna store them.

- Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM.
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Same here. Our fixtures are the same way. I pick up bulbs when I can find them. Fortunately we have space to store...but it's getting less and less.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

This is not intended to start a fight, but strictly fact finding for me. (I may have been out of the country far too long.)

. . . But what is the problem with changing to fluorescent bulbs (or LEDs) themselves? And I know that the US and some other countries are discontinuing with incandescent bulbs, but what is it - that is a problem?

I will embrace the LEDs when they get lower priced. I also like the fluorescent bulbs because I save about $100 a month in electricity from April/May to October from not having to cool down the heat from incandescent bulbs. Both in Japan and the US since I changed over in 2004 (Japan) and 2005 (USA) I would estimate that I have saved at least $4000 (over 9 years) in electric service - as compared to what I was paying per month and year prior to that. I am paying less in electricity now than I was in 2000 and 2005 before I switched to the fluorescent light bulbs, and it is hotter now in N. MS than it was back then and electric rates are higher now. I just have to use the A/C less since the fluorescent bulbs produce MUCH less heat.

In Japan we had multi colors of light tone to choose from even back in '04. Here, (USA) It has been a little more difficult to find the right toned lights but they are available now.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth, I intentionally bought a house with the older style regualr toilet instead of the 1.5 gallon so called flush low flow things... One spicy bean burrito too much and those suckers will clog up in a hurry!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
          for what it's worth, i intentionally bought a house with the older style regualr toilet instead of the 1.5 gallon so called flush low flow things... One spicy bean burrito too much and those suckers will clog up in a hurry!
          * t * m * i *
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• conwaygolfer
            Established Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Conway, SC.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            * t * m * i *
            All you have to do on the newer toilets is hold the handle down until the tank is empty. Don't just push down and let go. I know this works for me.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by leehljp
              This is not intended to start a fight, but strictly fact finding for me. (I may have been out of the country far too long.)

. . . But what is the problem with changing to fluorescent bulbs (or LEDs) themselves? And I know that the US and some other countries are discontinuing with incandescent bulbs, but what is it - that is a problem?

I will embrace the LEDs when they get lower priced. I also like the fluorescent bulbs because I save about $100 a month in electricity from April/May to October from not having to cool down the heat from incandescent bulbs. Both in Japan and the US since I changed over in 2004 (Japan) and 2005 (USA) I would estimate that I have saved at least $4000 (over 9 years) in electric service - as compared to what I was paying per month and year prior to that. I am paying less in electricity now than I was in 2000 and 2005 before I switched to the fluorescent light bulbs, and it is hotter now in N. MS than it was back then and electric rates are higher now. I just have to use the A/C less since the fluorescent bulbs produce MUCH less heat.

In Japan we had multi colors of light tone to choose from even back in '04. Here, (USA) It has been a little more difficult to find the right toned lights but they are available now.
              I counted how many bulbs I'd have to replace last week and have already forgotten but it was a dizzying number. At the current price of LED's I would have to take out a loan to replace them all. Also, I have eye problems and a few years ago, I tried one of those new-fangled bulbs and couldn't read the newspaper. The package told me that it was equivalent to a 100 W incandescent bulb but I think they must have misplaced the decimal point. As Lonnie in Orlando stated earlier, there are many fixtures that look crazy with those pig-tailed bulbs. These are just some of my gripes.
              Richard

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
                Most of you probably know that 100w incandescent light bulbs are not allowed to be manufactured or imported into the US.
                100W light bulbs are legal to manufacture and import to the US, and there are no plans to make them illegal, according to the US EPA. That "urban legend" started as a result of proposed legislation that did not pass in congress.

However, the economic viability of incandescent bulbs is questionable, and I do think they will become harder to find. The low demand and energy inefficiency of these bulbs, coupled with the consumer preference for more efficient and better options such as CFLs and LEDs, will likely cause these "dinosaurs" to eventually disappear from the market.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
                  100W light bulbs are legal to manufacture and import to the US, and there are no plans to make them illegal, according to the US EPA. That "urban legend" started as a result of proposed legislation that did not pass in congress.
                  That's incorrect...read here.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                    • May 2003
                    • Orlando, FL, USA.
                    • BT3000

You beat me to it C-man ...

The budget bill that Congress passed in Dec 2011 included a rider that delayed funding to inforce the 100w ban until Sept 2012. Well, it's Sept and I can't find a 100w incandescent bulb in open stock in Orlando.

> Squidoo Answer
                    > NPR Report
                    > Bloomberg Report
                    > USA Today - 75w ban Jan 2013; 60w & 40w ban Jan 2014

- Lonnie

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania

The budget bill that Congress passed in Dec 2011 included a rider that delayed funding to inforce the 100w ban until Sept 2012.
                      It's really odd that all those sources misinterpreted the bill. No wonder this "urban legend" has taken on a life of its own. According to the EPA, there is no "ban" on 100W (or any other) light bulb.

The bill simply imposes efficiency standards. Some manufacturers will stop producing the bulbs because of low demand and because they don't want to upgrade production to meet the efficiency standards, but it's still legal to manufacture and import bulbs that meet the efficiency standards.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
                        It's really odd that all those sources misinterpreted the bill.
                        Yes, it is odd.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                          • May 2003
                          • Orlando, FL, USA.
                          • BT3000

Not trying to get into a ******* contest. All I know is that standard 100w bulbs are difficult to obtain here in Orlando.

Maybe NPR, Bloomberg, USA Today, and Squidoo interpreted the bill as a ban after reading this EPA notice ...

"The law:
                          •does not ban the sale or manufacture of ALL incandescent bulbs, just those common household incandescent (and other) bulbs that are not energy-efficient."

< CLICK > EPA - Click on "New light bulb law - the basics"

Energystar.gov says that 100 watt bulbs must use at least 27% less energy. Not necessarily a ban, but it is a ban on 100w bulbs as we know them now.
                          < CLICK > Energy Star

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I think the law set efficiency standards that are impossible to meet for current incandescent bulbs, thus, effectively banning them.

The law, if you have several days of free time, can be read here:
                            Text of H.R. 6 (110th): Energy Independence and Security Act &#8230; as of Dec 18, 2007 (Passed Congress version). H.R. 6 (110th): Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007

Pay special attention to Sec.321

Sorry Lonnie, you were typing your last msg as I typed this one.
                            Last edited by phrog; 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM.
                            Richard

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania

All I know is that standard 100w bulbs are difficult to obtain here in Orlando.
                              Probably not just Orlando, but everywhere.

Companies want to produce product they can sell at a profit. Most people prefer the energy savings and longer life of CFLs and LEDs, and various incentive programs have made CFLs free or nearly free. As a result, the demand for most incandescents has declined significantly. In addition, the federal legislation requires efficiency to be improved, requiring design and manufacturing changes. The manufacturer is forced to expend R&D money to redesign a product for which there is essentially no demand - so it's a better business decision to stop producing them. Thus, although the legislation does not ban the incandescents, many manufacturers will stop production rather than comply with the efficiency requirements. It's technically not a "ban", but one could certainly make an argument it is a voluntary and de facto ban if manufacturers won't make the product.

Ultimately, LED bulbs will be the best solution. Given sufficient consumer demand, they will be produced in forms to fit chandeliers and other specialty applications, and the small size will allow them to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the incandescents. CFLs can be enclosed to hide the "pig tail", but there are practical limits on size that preclude use in chandeliers for the flame style bulbs.
                              Last edited by woodturner; 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...