• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Converting LP's

There has been some mention of methods for converting vinyl to CD on C-Man's wire recordeer thread. Thought I would start another thread on the subject.

I converted a couple of records using a standard turntable run through a bookshelf stereo amp. Then I switched to an ION TTUSB05 turtable. It is internally amplified and uses a USB connection to the computer. It came with MixMeister EZ vinyl Converter that does an excellent job of filtering out the 'noise' associsated with vinyl.

I haven't tried to convert any of my cassettes yet, but I think I can feed them directly to the computer from the bookshelf stereo and use the MixMeister program to filter/enhance the quality.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I have an M-Audo Duo 2 channel XLR input / mixing device that I use with Audacity for recording analog. There are some pretty good hiss / pop filters out there for Audacity. Works great on Windows and Linux. Not sure about the fruit guys though...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I used audacity which is free and is excellant but not as a scratch and pop remover. I used a separate tool for that but can't find the name right now. I took the output from my 30 year old turntable (very good single point support arm) to an old receiver that can accept a turntable input and took an output at a level for an external amp into the computer. The nice thing was the hardware and software cost me nothing.

If you want to do this, finding a good scratch/pop remover is important, at least if your vinyl is in the shape mine is. I'll look up my software for this when I get home. It worked very well.

Jim

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I bought a cable for a couple bucks that has red and white RCA plugs on one end and a mini plug on the other. (Red = right and White = Left) Hooked the RCA plugs to my amp and the mini plug to the AUDIO IN of my sound card. I originally used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for both input and cleaning pops, hisses, etc. It will allow you to make CDs or MP3 files. The version I had would not work with Win7 when I upgraded from XP, so I bought Roxio Music Lab and it does the same thing. Both work great. You can use them for any sound coming out of the amp. This includes LPs, CDs, TAPE, etc. Be Aware however, that when you remove pops, hisses, etc. that you are also filtering out some of the bright tones of the music.

I usually convert the LP to CD for backup using this method. Then I convert it to MP3 and save the file to my computer so that I can use the computer as a jukebox.

Some of the elec. eng. on this site might like to weigh in on sending a signal directly from an amp to a LINE IN of the computer. It worked for me.
        Last edited by phrog; 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM.
        Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I used to have a program called "Music Match" but one of the Microsoft updates disabled it. As I recall, I paid about $40 for MusicMatch... I hate when such things "go away" because of Microsoft upgrades.

In any case, that allowed me to record on "line in" from my sound card and I simply ran a coax cable between my stereo system and the computer. That allowed me to tape from whatever compent I might have, like my casette deck.

My grandson got a "record player" (sorry, I'm old fashioned) for this past Christmas, that has both LP, casette, and CD built in and also a USB connection. You can play from all and I believe record to either casette, CD, or USB.

My wife and I have a few dozen old LP's. I was never "big" on music, but do have a couple of Kington Trio, Highwaymen, Simon & Garfunkle LP's. Unfortunately, they're all "mono", as I didn't folks didn't have a "stereo" and I wasn't one to really hang around and "groove" a lot.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
            I bought a cable for a couple bucks that has red and white RCA plugs on one end and a mini plug on the other. (Red = right and White = Left) Hooked the RCA plugs to my amp and the mini plug to the AUDIO IN of my sound card. I originally used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for both input and cleaning pops, hisses, etc. It will allow you to make CDs or MP3 files. The version I had would not work with Win7 when I upgraded from XP, so I bought Roxio Music Lab and it does the same thing. Both work great. You can use them for any sound coming out of the amp. This includes LPs, CDs, TAPE, etc. Be Aware however, that when you remove pops, hisses, etc. that you are also filtering out some of the bright tones of the music.

I usually convert the LP to CD for backup using this method. Then I convert it to MP3 and save the file to my computer so that I can use the computer as a jukebox.

Some of the elec. eng. on this site might like to weigh in on sending a signal directly from an amp to a LINE IN of the computer. It worked for me.
            There are many amplifiers/receivers (a receiver is technically an amplifier and a tuner in one) out there and the cheap ones may only have one output for speakers and some of those use RCA phono plugs for speakers.

Most better amplifiers have multiple outputs such as Tape out and Line out as well as speaker terminals. Some even have "preamp" outputs.

I don't know what level of amplifier you have.

The best connection is tape out or line out which is after the input selector and before the volume control. THis give a more or less uniform 1V or so signal suitable for the line in of your computers audio card. Sources may vary a bit in amplitude so some inputs (phono preamp, tape, tuner) may have bigger signals than others, but not by a huge amount altho you may want to tweak the gain going to your recorder.

Preamp out is the next best but is generally not the best because its signal level will vary each time you mess with the volume knob making it hard to get a consistent signal. Usually the maximum level will be somewhere about the same as the line out.

Using a amplifiers speaker terminals will work but its the worst of the connections because it will not only be a different signal level each time you mess with the volume knob but also may be much larger than your input is expecting... you need to have the volume turned down fairly low.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

The filter program I used is called "ClickRepair" If you google this you will find it. It works very well, much better than the filter available in Audacity. Audacity is useful too, however, since you get a graph of the music on the screen and can identify annoying noises and then filter them out. But with ClickRepair I learned I could just get the file created by audacity, then filter it with clickrepair and then listen to it. I didn't have to mess around with it in audacity.

Jim

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                There are many amplifiers/receivers (a receiver is technically an amplifier and a tuner in one) out there and the cheap ones may only have one output for speakers and some of those use RCA phono plugs for speakers.

Most better amplifiers have multiple outputs such as Tape out and Line out as well as speaker terminals. Some even have "preamp" outputs.

I don't know what level of amplifier you have.

The best connection is tape out or line out which is after the input selector and before the volume control. THis give a more or less uniform 1V or so signal suitable for the line in of your computers audio card. Sources may vary a bit in amplitude so some inputs (phono preamp, tape, tuner) may have bigger signals than others, but not by a huge amount altho you may want to tweak the gain going to your recorder.

Preamp out is the next best but is generally not the best because its signal level will vary each time you mess with the volume knob making it hard to get a consistent signal. Usually the maximum level will be somewhere about the same as the line out.

Using a amplifiers speaker terminals will work but its the worst of the connections because it will not only be a different signal level each time you mess with the volume knob but also may be much larger than your input is expecting... you need to have the volume turned down fairly low.
                I have an old JVC 120W receiver. It has RCA connectors for almost everything - secondary speakers, tape, line out, etc. I think you're telling me to quit using the secondary speaker connectors and instead, use the line out or tape out connectors. Thanks, Loring.
                Richard

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

My bookshelf has 'rec out' RCA jacks. I asume this is the same as what Loing is talkingt about. I have those going to a 2 RCA to single pin that plugs into the cumputer sound card. I used that when I was running the old turntable through the stereo's amp and to run cassettes to the computer.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yes Phrog, you understood me. You want to use the so-called line-level outputs rather than variable outputs.
                    Yes, Pappy, rec(ord) out is the same function as tape out or line out.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I'm pretty sure I used the line out, the signal that would have been sent after processing in the receiver, to the cassette deck. The LP signal requires significant processing due to the way LPs are made so that and the level dictates you cannot record that output directly (and get useful results). You can also buy little amplifiers that have the processor built in just to do this. With "old" stuff sitting around, it's cheaper just to use that.

I set signal level in audacity. I didn't really set it high enough at first. My suggestion is you should push it up to where it looks like it is clipping a little (or almost clipping). I do not hear resulting distortion in the recordings I did this way and the level is a better match to the radio or GPS in my vehicles. If I set the level more conservatively in audacity, I have to turn the sound up to listen to it. Radio signals have a deliberately compressed dynamic range, however, so you should not expect to ever be fully compatible. Quiet portions will always be something of a problem in a vehicle (my normal listening environment).

While I made MP3s, this software has many other output options. I put the files on SD cards in my Garmins (old ones) and listen to them mostly on trips. I transfered around 40 LPs so I have hours of music available. I also have newer files ripped from CDs or just purchased as MP3s. When the LP was in pretty bad shape, I was not able to clean it up completely but it is still OK to listen to. The LPs which were not "worn out" are nearly indistinguishable to ripped files or purchased MP3s (or the CDs the files came from). A vehicle is not a great environment to experience subtleties but I've listened a little at home and I still find the files to be fine. There are also multiple MP3 file formats, I used one near the high end of file size but smaller than the MP3s I've purchased from Amazon.

Jim

Comment

• DannyT
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Groveport, OH

any vinyl albums that I wanted to convert i just downloaded the mp3's instead of converting the albums. I got cd quality and I had already bought the music.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by DannyT
                          any vinyl albums that I wanted to convert i just downloaded the mp3's instead of converting the albums. I got cd quality and I had already bought the music.
                          That's all well and good for common stuff that was available as mp3 or CD audio that is easily ripped to mp3. However there is a sizeable music library out there that hasn't been produced since the beginning of the Compact Disc era. The self titled "Icehouse" album springs to mind. (Icehouse was released in 1980, never achieved much traction here in the U.S. although the music is quite good, however was #4 on the charts in Australia).

There are certain audiophiles that actually WANT the pop / hiss that comes from vinyl even in digital audio.
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• DannyT
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Groveport, OH

i agree that not everything is released on cd. i did manage to find icehouse white heat, their anniversary addition and the big wheel album in less than 5 minutes.

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by DannyT
                              Some of my vinyl dating back to the 50's and my brother has a bunch of vintagfe stuff that was our mother's. Try finding Tommy Sands on mp3 or Rusty Warren....
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...