• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by tommyt654
    No ,It was an internship before college I had gotten as my biology and science teacher had setup jobs for those who thought they might like to work in a field related to the studies. I also worked in the bird show at Busch Gardens in Tampa as I took care of our H.S. mascot a falcon before 1972 the internship at R.A.R.M. in Silver Springs, Fla. was I would drive up on Mon. and come back on Fri., They put up with us and fed us (no pay) ,I would work Sat & Sun. pumping gas at a local Citgo gas station(where I also learned mechanics) for $2.15 an hour. Yes I'm definetely a little crazy, but I don't suffer from Ophidiophobia,Can work on my own cars and know the value of a hard earned buck
    Interesting. I was just kidding about you being crazy. Sounds like you must have had a very good teacher.
    Richard

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by T...K21
      Back to flushing a critter down the toilet...isn't that how scary movies start? Kinda like the gator or croc in the sewers of NY?
      Maybe C'man is out to start a new reality tv show.
      Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Interestingly enough there are a lot of patterned snakes that easily get confused with rattlers,especially when small and young as the buttons that usually form on a rattler will range from 3-5 for a 2 yr old rattler,The old myth about them having a button for very yr. is just that a myth. Below is and Northern Watersnake, easily confused by most as a cottonmouth, a young copperhead has a very similiar pattern on its back and is often confused with the Eastern Diamondback, note how distinctive the diamondback pattern is relative to the others tho. Either way for me once bitten twice shy applies as I would not want to go thru that agin, but C-Man if you did have a small diamondback around they usually produce litters in the 8-12 range,So keep an eye out for momma and her other children
        Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Either way for me once bitten twice shy applies as I would not want to go thru that agin, but C-Man if you did have a small diamondback around they usually produce litters in the 8-12 range,So keep an eye out for momma and her other children
          Yeah, we've been doing that. I figure a momma mature enough to lay eggs, or some babies, would have been found in the house by now by one of our three cats and two German Shepherds. We have been on the lookout outside too.

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

They love woodpiles, clumps of brush and cool stone areas on very hot days,like we have been having! and anywhere out of the sun in some shade. I used to hunt them when I lived down there in Fla and they co-habitiate with gopher tortise's as well in their holes. Hope ya don't find another but be wary for them now that you have seen one. As far as the toilet thing ,it more than likely broke it back flushing it thru the trap which means its either dead or will be soon enough as it will have a limited striking distance. Also be wary of low hanging palm fronds as they'll cuddle up under them and they won't always rattle when scared

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Also be wary of low hanging palm fronds as they'll cuddle up under them and they won't always rattle when scared

Snakes, and snakes in trees. Kinda like Vietnam.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by BobSch
                Me too. The only dangerous snakes around here are of the two-legged variety and they're easy to spot.
                Plus the keep them all in Saint Paul at the Capitol ... Bah dum dum
                Chr's

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

They love woodpiles, clumps of brush and cool stone areas on very hot days,like we have been having! and anywhere out of the sun in some shade. I used to hunt them when I lived down there in Fla and they co-habitiate with gopher tortise's as well in their holes. Hope ya don't find another but be wary for them now that you have seen one. As far as the toilet thing ,it more than likely broke it back flushing it thru the trap which means its either dead or will be soon enough as it will have a limited striking distance. Also be wary of low hanging palm fronds as they'll cuddle up under them and they won't always rattle when scared
                  Are you saying they get in trees? If so, is that true of both rattlers and copperheads? I honestly didn't know they got in trees. Now I have to watch not only my feet and legs but also my head.
                  Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                    Maybe C'man is out to start a new reality tv show.
                    Not a bad idea...seeing how much money they make.

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

No,Not in trees I meant low scrub palms like they have everywhere in Fla.They'll curl up under a low hanging frond and sit there content until something good comes along to eat.I have never seen a snake in a tree in Fla. except a corn snake that had managed to climb up a cabbage palm and a few rat snakes, non poisonous, but will go after squirrels and birds.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Mike, if they're as ornate as the one pictured by Tommy, and you run across any more, you may consider keeping the body and seeing if you have any local IAP pen casters who would be interested in buying...
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I guess a lot would have to depend on the snake and whether it was being chased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMkHU_CLg8k

I saw this a year or so ago, and thought it funny. The rabbit is a lot braver than I would be.

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Slik Geek
                            • Dec 2006
                            • Lake County, Illinois
                            • Ryobi BT-3000

The way that I've heard the saying go is this:

"Red next to black, venom lack."
                            "Red next to yellow, can kill a fellow."

Comment

Working...