• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Crazy Ticket Prices

The NBA playoff games reminds me of the World Series. The idea being to have extra games to get extra money...big money. I checked the ticket prices for the NBA playoff game tonight for what's left. Standing room only in the nosebleed section $306. An actual seat in the main arena with a view of the court...$8108.00. I heard on the TV this week, prime seats close in went for about $20,000. Do people in their right minds pay these prices?

• dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Okay this is a weird area for me, and I need to tell you guys something...

I grew up in the 1970s outside of Cleveland Ohio.

My hometown teams of my childhood were the Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers of the 70s.

Needless to say I never got into teams sports. It's REALLY hard to get interested when your team ALWAYS loses...

Kind of like being an Oilers fan I guess...

Anyway, I did get a taste for hockey though. And believe it nor not, my first pro hockey game was a Houston Aeros game... Tickets are cheap, and it's good fun to watch...

So for me personally, I think those that pay those kinds of prices for professional athletics are out of their skulls. There is plenty of college ball to be seen, and those guys are more fun to watch anyway...

To put it into my perspective...

I can pay what did you say, 8 grand for tickets to the playoffs? OR...

I could buy Rodeo Houston season tickets for 16 people that includes the Livestock show, the Rodeo competitions, the BBQ cookoffs, top name concerts from the biggest acts in Country, Rock, Hip Hop, and Tejano music, for a MONTH straight.

And I would MUCH rather see the 4H kids doing a calf scramble than some overpaid ball catcher any day at any price.

Blame it on the Browns...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

That is crazy money--which seems to be the norm for the "TV Sports" these days. There are still great values out there...

We live about 20 miles from Notre Dame--Women's Basketball (NCAA runner-up last two years)--we pay less than $200 for 4 season tickets. Included games with Tennessee, UConn, etc. Very entertaining basketball, and the face value on my tickets is $2.37. Hockey--less than $8 a seat, but tougher ticket to get. We've been able to score standing room tickets a few times at $5 or $6--but standing room at the hockey arena is at the glass in the corners, no more than 2 people deep. Shoot, i'd pay extra to be there instead of a seat!!

Minor league baseballl--most teams have promotions between innings, the players are very accessable before/after games, family fun. Great seats at $5-$7 for most teams, as low as $2 for special pricing. Hot dogs usually cheap too.

High school sports--can't miss and it's for the love of the game.

earl

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I should mention since Hockey was mentioned again...

Houston Aeros tickets, on the glass in center ice, during playoffs, $16.00
        Regular Season $8.00
        And all the faces smashed into the glass you can stand!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Do people in their right minds pay these prices?
          There must be a bunch of idiots paying some outrageous money for them. I've noticed that most arena ticket prices are getting so an average Joe can only afford it as a very special occasion thing. (Concerts are getting that way too).
          Erik

Comment

• Eagan
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • bloomington, IN
            • rigid r4512

You think the TICKET prices are bad?!?

Let's cut right to the heart of the matter... the overpriced Beer!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list...ers-baseball#1

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
              I should mention since Hockey was mentioned again...

Houston Aeros tickets, on the glass in center ice, during playoffs, $16.00
              Regular Season $8.00
              And all the faces smashed into the glass you can stand!
              You said it!! I don't have a clue about hockey, and i'm not a fan of violence, but there's something about being 3/8" from a compressed face or a flying puck (or both at the same time!!!!)...well it's just fun. My wife loves it even more--what a hoot.

earl

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

I'm thinking it's mostly corporations or lobbyists paying for those seats. Back during my time in Corporate America, the company owners (husband and wife) paid BIG bucks for PSLs and season tickets for the scRams. I think they had ten seats. They'd take clients to the games.

During the World Series in St. Louis last year I could barely afford to stay home and watch the game on TV. At least the beer and brats were cheaper.

I'm a Cardinals fan through and through, but it's getting where we can't afford even one trip to the park in the nosebleed section, let alone where you can actually see the ball. Plus, I hate large sweaty crowds.

There's a Little League ball complex about a mile from my house; sometimes I watch games there. What those kids lack in skill they make up in enthusiasm!

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• Shep
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Columbus, OH
                  • Hitachi C10FL

Supply and Demand. I would never bay 8k to see a game, but I guess they found a lot of other interested parties willing to pay that price.
                  -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by Shep
                    Supply and Demand. I would never bay 8k to see a game, but I guess they found a lot of other interested parties willing to pay that price.

Not only are they gullible for tickets, after the game they stood in line at the sports stores to buy a $5 "T" shirt for $30 - $40.

Comment

• 3thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Northern Colorado
                      • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

8K? I watched all five games for free! Close to food, the bathroom, and had a reclining seat to boot!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

difference between asking prices and what people actually pay...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by 3thumbs
                          8K? I watched all five games for free! Close to food, the bathroom, and had a reclining seat to boot!
                          That's the way I watch car races. Not entirely free, but considering what my TV service costs compared to ticket prices, and travel to the event, it's not anywhere near the cost.

Comment

Working...