Now I know I'm hopelessly addicted to WW...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denco
    • Mar 2003
    • Coming soon: California
    • BT3100

Now I know I'm hopelessly addicted to WW...

Had a dental emergency today. The dentist had to file down a tooth. The only thing I could think about when he was power grinding was my Dremel and some work I was going to use it for.

Asked him if he owned one. He said no. Too bad, he'd probably be pretty good at it.

Not sure, but his high speed grinding tool may have said "DeWalt" on the side....or maybe I just wanted it to.
    *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I don't think any company would want to have their names on dental tools. I know that's the last company I would buy from.
    Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you should have asked him about it. My friend and dentist I think we had that discussion once and I think those dental drills or dremels if you will turn about 100,000 RPM, about 5 time faster than your dremel. and they have to be autoclavable which means they withstand pressure steam sterilization after every use. They do cost a pretty penny for all that stainless steel.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        you should have asked him about it. My friend and dentist I think we had that discussion once and I think those dental drills or dremels if you will turn about 100,000 RPM, about 5 time faster than your dremel. and they have to be autoclavable which means they withstand pressure steam sterilization after every use. They do cost a pretty penny for all that stainless steel.
        The last time I bought dental equipment in the mid 90's, I was told that the high speed handpieces (drills) turned at about a quarter-million rpms. A good quality one cost in the neighborhood of $400-$500. They have to be autoclaved after every use and the steam sterilization does get to them after a couple dozen cycles. However, the cartridge can be replaced for $100-$200 rather than replacing the entire handpiece. Now you know why dentistry is so expensive.

PS I do have a something akin to a Dremel (made by Ryobi) that I have had for years and explained to patients that dentistry is just woodworking on a very small scale.
        Last edited by phrog; 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM.
        Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

didn't geo washington have wooden teeth?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• annunaki
            • Jan 2008
            • White Springs, Florida
            • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Got the old ones

I asked my Dentist what he did with his old drill bits whether he had them sharpened or just replaced. He said they got replaced and he just threw the old ones in his junk drawer, when it got full he trashed them- that day I left his office with about 50 bits still good enough for my Dremel !
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• Denco
              • Mar 2003
              • BT3100

Hey, there's an idea for a new BT3 contest.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Would you paint them with..........enamel?
                Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

You know he didn't... He actually had dentures, at least a lower one that I know of that was carved from.. get this... hippopotamus ivory! The dentures take stain readily so his teeth looked like wood over years of use.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I'm not old enough to answer that.
                    Richard

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by annunaki
                      I asked my Dentist what he did with his old drill bits whether he had them sharpened or just replaced. He said they got replaced and he just threw the old ones in his junk drawer, when it got full he trashed them- that day I left his office with about 50 bits still good enough for my Dremel !
                      The high speed handpieces (drills) use burs (bits) that could not be sharpened. Contrary to popular belief, burs are sharp along their edge and cut like a router bit rather than a drill bit. Only a few, such as round burs (a sphere at the bottom end of the shank) cut at the tip. These burs are so small they can't be sharpened. The high-speed burs are usually good for one tooth and then have to be discarded. (Tooth enamel is VERY hard and the bur has to be VERY sharp or the tooth will become a BBQ pit for the nerve.)

Slow speed handpieces use burs that are more appropriate for woodworking but are used in the lab, not on patients. Most dentists go through these slow speed burs much more slowly.

Additionally, the high-speed bits will not fit a Dremel without a special collet (very small) whereas, the slow speed burs will fit.
                      If you want to do very small, delicate work, get a small collet and the high speed burs.
                      Last edited by phrog; 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM.
                      Richard

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Denco
                        Hey, there's an idea for a new BT3 contest.
                        Tooth or Consequences?
                        Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Dental hand pieces are air driven, and are low torque. They spin fast, and have a cooling function with a water mist. In the past, and it's likely that some dentists still use them are cord driven hand drills, or flex shaft type handpieces, with a foot control, like units that Foredom makes.

These mechanical hand drills drill much slower, and used in cases where intricate drilling needs to take place, and without the blinding water mist of the air hand piece.

Comment

• Denco
                            • Mar 2003
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by phrog
                            Tooth or Consequences?

LOL! Way ta go, Phrog-man.

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              Dental hand pieces are air driven, and are low torque. They spin fast, and have a cooling function with a water mist. In the past, and it's likely that some dentists still use them are cord driven hand drills, or flex shaft type handpieces, with a foot control, like units that Foredom makes.

These mechanical hand drills drill much slower, and used in cases where intricate drilling needs to take place, and without the blinding water mist of the air hand piece.

The mechanical handpieces about which you speak had fallen into disfavor by the time that I had started practicing dentistry in the late 70's. You may occasionally find one still in use but I emphasize the word "occasionally." The slow speed handpieces with high torque that are used by "most" dentists today are also air driven but turn at about 8-10,000 rpms vs 200-250,000 rpms of the high speeds. The torque of the high speeds is such that they can be stopped by "catching" with your fingers although I never tried this. (I saw an instructor do it once to prove the low torque.) The slow speeds have much higher torque and could be used for woodworking if you have an air compressor. The mechanical type that are belt driven and the flex-shafts can sometimes be found in an office where a lot of dentures are made and in dental laboratories mostly. They, too, would be useful for woodworking.

You are also right about the air-water mist - it is a necessity for high speeds abrading teeth but would impede woodworking. Therefore, slow speeds, belt-drives, and flex shafts are more appropriate for woodworkers although high speeds could be used for VERY small work if you are willing to spend the bucks and stop often to let the wood and bur cool.

I think that you once told me, C'man, that your father was a dentist and I would guess that is where your knowledge of dental handpieces came from.
                              Last edited by phrog; 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...