• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Facebook friend suggestions.

So I have recently friended on facebook, several of my old high school friends, because of that, there are a couple of people there that are coming up in the "People You May Know" suggestions. One is an ex girlfriend from high school that should remain in the past. I broke up with her crazy tail for a GOOD reason...

The other is a friend of one of my high school buddies older sister. Now this guy, well...

I am not 100% certain. But I suspect his high school yearbook had him in as...

Voted most likely to die immediately after saying "Hold my beer and watch this!".

The guy was as smart as a box of rocks...

Now I know that almost everyone at the age of 17, 18, or even 20 ish isn't exactly brilliant. But, well this was the sort of fellow that would shove Kix cereal up his nose for fun...

Should I be impressed that he figured out how to use a computer?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Before I met SWMBO, I was real close to getting engaged to this girl I dated while in college. She broke up with me, and comes to find out, she was cheating on me like crazy. She had this nasty habit of not breaking up with someone until she met someone else and had gotten a relationship going with them.

Anyway, about a year or so ago, I get a friend request from the girl's mother. I've never responded, because I don't want her to know if it is me one way or the other, and I sure don't want my ex knowing anything personal about my family or me.

I have also gotten some friend requests from people who in high school wouldn't have spit on me if I was on fire. In other words, they made life miserable. If we didn't like each other back then, why would I want to be friends of FB now?! I usually let those go unanswered as well.

Lately, I'm more of a lurker. I would close my account, but there are quite a few friends that FB is my only way of contacting them.
    Last edited by JSUPreston; 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

That's why I blocked the crazy ex from High School... My crazy ex wife however, I have never seen on Facebook. If I ever saw her on there, I would block her in a hot second... Same goes for her screwball friends. I do NOT want her getting any insight into my life.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I use FB to keep up with my kids and a few old friends. I also use it to promote my custom computer and networking sideline business, (VERY sideline).
        Then there are a few people I've met through other contacts that have become well respected friends. One is a 25 yr old young man who lives in Rwanda. His family was killed by government troops when he was forced at 10 yrs old to carry an AK-47 and an RPG for guerrilla forces. He sent me pictures of about 50 half rotted severed heads on a table... One was his mother, another his father and yet others his siblings, aunts and uncles.
        This young fellow was taken in by Christian missionaries and spirited out of the country. He is in his final year of college, speaks 5 languages fluently and a dew others well enough to get by.
        He friended me because a mutual friend went on a mission trip and told him about my wood working.
        Under similar circumstances, I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to go on as far as he has.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I held off FB for a long time which is weird because when I was in college, I had ytalk friends on every continent--even Antarctica. I joined last year because I wanted to get to know my dad's side of the family better which I have and I wanted to stay in touch with other people more than once a year. I have also reconnected with friends from HS and grade school who I had just lost touch with.

I generally like FB, but people I know at work are starting to friend me. I need to get more savvy with the filtering so certain people can only see certain things.

I don't have any skeletons in the closest, though. I'm too boring.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I am almost 70 and really have no use for the social media. Most of my friends do not tweet or use Facebook we do use Email and Skype. The younger members of our family have FB, I have gone and been embarrassed by what I found. There are things I just don't need to know or see. My five closest High School Buddies have all died over the past 20 years and I was shocked when I went on my High School 50th reunion web site and saw how many of my Class Mates have died. Don't need to hear from old Girl Friends there is a reason they are old Girl Friends and they need to stay that way. This way that one less thing to worry about in my life, just like to keep it simple (stupid). Our church has an account and I won't even go on it. There are 5 way to get a hold of me, Land Line, Cell Phone, snail mail, Email and stop by. I may or may not answer the phones or Email and I might not come to the door. As my sons would say you cantankerous old grouch. I worked, paid taxes did all the daddy stuff and honey do's so I have earned the right to be this way when I choose.

Tom
            A resident of the formerly great state of California. Just think Zukerberg could buy the State for 17 Billion and have plenty of money left to a country like Greece

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

well your dumb friend survived this long so he can't be all bad.

As for FB friends don't befriend anyone who's not a real friend.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

For the most part, I figure that if I haven't communicated with someone for the past several years I probably don't need to. There are a few exceptions. I'm not a big FB fan.
                Bill

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Facebook? What's that?
                  Alex V

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

My cousin in England got me started in FB as it was an easier means to share things about out families than email. I have able to contact many people I knew when I was growing up and have new friends through them who I chat with often.

The interesting thing though, the people who I know, but weren't really friends with in school, are still that on FB. They are on my friends list but I never really socialize with them online. Those who I was closer to, we have picked up the same way 30 years later.
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

I have learned that whatever you do don't bring up politics on the web,It always starts trouble,That especially applys to FB

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by os1kne
                        For the most part, I figure that if I haven't communicated with someone for the past several years I probably don't need to. There are a few exceptions. I'm not a big FB fan.
                        +1. Too much info, and your info can go anywhere.

Comment

• Two Much
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Long Island, NY
                          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

I joined, but never go on it...
                          I want to get off...I asked my son's to
                          get me off, they said it's impossible,
                          you need to die to get off...

Actually, I do know someone that had to
                          produce her husbands death certificate to get him off.

Sooo, maybe there is some truth that you have to
                          die to get off.

Comment

Working...