• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Perks From Clients

I don't remember this subject being brought up. Over the years, clients have given gifts of sorts in appreciation of my work. Members here may have had similar experiences with their clients. If so how'd you do?

Just a few that I can remember:

I made office furniture for a travel agency. They gave me tickets for two for a cruise to the Bahamas. I wound up giving them to some friends of mine that got married.

On a few restaurant/bar installations, a complimentary meal, or drinks.

I did a kitchen for a neurosurgeon that offered a discount on surgery if I ever needed it.

I fixtured a jewelry store, and their gift was unique. It is a gold nail...10d common. I'm pretty sure it's gold plated, as it doesn't seem heavy enough to be solid gold. Here it be:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	797862

• Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

In appreciation of a graphic design job I did (that's my primary source of income) the client was so overwhelmed, he sent ma some road kill to show his true feelings about the job.

Which is why I now spend so much time making jewelry boxes

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Several clients (neighbors mostly) keep me supplied with beer and food. As we arrived home from visiting our daughter, the lady across the street yelled out "fresh pie". Still warm from the oven triple berry pie. It made a perfect companion for my evening latte.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

I've gotten a few gift certificates to take my wife and myself out to dinner.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by charliex
          Several clients (neighbors mostly) keep me supplied with beer and food. As we arrived home from visiting our daughter, the lady across the street yelled out "fresh pie". Still warm from the oven triple berry pie. It made a perfect companion for my evening latte.

That's the kind of clients to have...lives close and feeds you.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
            I've gotten a few gift certificates to take my wife and myself out to dinner.

Gift certificates are a nice gesture. In the form of a "thanks" means a lot.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

nothing better than the love you get from your family and loved ones.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dal300
                Banned
                • Aug 2011
                • East Central Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I built (along with some friends) a 3200 square foot single story home with a pool deck, hot tub and one of those steam bath thingies built out of cedar.

This was for the local judge in our county.

In appreciation, he socked me with $2700/month child support for my two kids when I got divorced, granted my wife the house, the shop, the property, all five of my semi trucks and 10 trailers, but left me with the insurance payments, truck and trailer payments and drivers pay. Ex got the taxes..... She lost the trucks within 6 months, left me with all the collateral damage and I ended up paying the taxes she didn't pay. My name was still half owner on the business.

I didn't mind the child support, I made enough at the time to cover it easily, but to lose everything I worked for and still get hit again and again makes you want to say, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Dal300
                  I built (along with some friends) a 3200 square foot single story home with a pool deck, hot tub and one of those steam bath thingies built out of cedar.

This was for the local judge in our county.

In appreciation, he socked me with $2700/month child support for my two kids when I got divorced, granted my wife the house, the shop, the property, all five of my semi trucks and 10 trailers, but left me with the insurance payments, truck and trailer payments and drivers pay. Ex got the taxes..... She lost the trucks within 6 months, left me with all the collateral damage and I ended up paying the taxes she didn't pay. My name was still half owner on the business.

I didn't mind the child support, I made enough at the time to cover it easily, but to lose everything I worked for and still get hit again and again makes you want to say, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
                  Makes you wonder doesn't it? And to top it off you probably did a nice job for him. Could be the law was in your ex's favor.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I don't do woodworking very often for anybody but family. All I typically get is a thanks and a hug. That's big and all I want. In my industry we get to give and get little presents, however. I've gotten shirts from several customers, some of which no longer exist. I also get a nice framed picture of one of my customers plants from them.

Jim

Comment

• mmcduffie
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Des Moines, Washington.
                      • BT3000

I use the laser to engrave the text on something called a Cryptex and my client gave me one in appreciation. He's actually given me two but for reasons that I can't explain, I gave the first one away. No idea what I was thinking. And I'm still mad at myself.

Michael

Comment

• Dal300
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2011
                        • East Central Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Could be. Funny though, that with the money she was having come in, she had to find an attorney to work pro-bono and even more interesting, they all hung out at the same bar.

A couple of the friends didn't fare much better, but it's not my place to say as that would be heresay evidence.

We gave a 7 year warrantee and had exactly ZERO call backs. No warranty claims ever.

Ex had never had anything to do with the trucking end of the business, never had an interest in the construction business. Never had an interest in much of anything but buying stuff that sat for years in unopened packages in the basement until the mold got to it. Then it would go in the garbage. (I tossed out a half pallet of "Etienne Aigner" pocket books she bought as new, surplus. They were so molded that they had turned grey and blue and black. The price she payed for them was $1125. Value at MSRP was something over $4200. That's just one of the items she hoarded and left to rot.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        Makes you wonder doesn't it? And to top it off you probably did a nice job for him. Could be the law was in your ex's favor.

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011
                          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I was commissioned by my 10 yr old daughter to build a cradle for her American Girl Doll ------

Perks? A hug, a kiss, and a smile.

Enjoy em while you got em!

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by durango dude
                            I was commissioned by my 10 yr old daughter to build a cradle for her American Girl Doll ------

Perks? A hug, a kiss, and a smile.

Enjoy em while you got em!
                            Those are the best kind.

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Job wise perks haven't been much at all; I got a big bottle of Makers Mark once. I ended up with a mess of maple flooring strips from a condo floor gone bad too. Most of the time I'm just happy when clients pay their invoices on time and with good checks.

I got a case of Guinness for a knockdown cart I made for the MDA that held dart board tournament standards, that wasn't really a perk as it was part of the negotiated fee (beer plus materials). I didn't want to endanger my amateur woodworking status by getting money for it.

A buddy gave me a delta 10" bandsaw for a few projects I've done for him. Still not sure if it was a perk or a hindrance since I rarely want to argue with that saw.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...