• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

This is bad, this is very bad...

3+ hours into cleaning my shop, and I still can't see the floor... I am FINALLY purging the pull out scraps of molding that I used to for sizing when I trimmed out the laundry room, but jeeze, where did all this junk come from?

On the plus side, the air compressor, the shop vac, the Thien Trash Can separator and all my screwdrivers are back where they belong...

I have bits and pieces of about 6 projects sitting there, just waiting to be completed, or at least stored carefully... Including some scroll work I have been on and off with since I got my scroll saw back in, what was it January?

I need to take better care of my shop!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I wonder if i still have a floor???
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I went back out there for a while. I found the floor. But what the *#$% is that spill?!

Oh yeah, Minwax Golden Pecan. Looks like I knocked a can over while cleaning... That's going to be fun to mop up!

Now the fun part. I have 10' stock from Clarks, and only 8' 6" of space in my lumber rack before I run into the tool stacker... I really don't want to cut this stuff down, but it looks like I have to!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'm always amazed at what I find when I clean the shop.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
          I'm always amazed at what I find when I clean the shop.

I clean the shop then forget where I put things away!
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
            Boy did you hit the nail on the head! I've learned that moving tools or accessories from where they have been for the past 10 years spells disaster for a couple of years. You spend more time looking for the masking tape than you spend on the actual project!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

My square! I found my square! And where did all those calipers come from?

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I have two 3-piece HF tool chests purchased last fall and still have too many small tools to fit in. I need one more! But for once, I can find most of my hand tools at any one given moment!

It sure is nice to be able to find the tools - instead of having to go buy one cause you need it NOW and can't find it at home!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Cypress, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Now the fun part. I have 10' stock from Clarks, and only 8' 6" of space in my lumber rack before I run into the tool stacker... I really don't want to cut this stuff down, but it looks like I have to!
                  Can you stick them in the rafters of the shop or in the garage? That's what I did with my longer stock. I didn't want to make the lumber rack TOO big! Or use a few metal "L" brackets to make a quick-n-dirty "shelf" above the garage door - attach them to the beefy header board and take advantage of typically wasted space.

mpc

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I think I can stash the 10th ft stock on top of my library cabinet. It's 8 ft long with nothing next to it...

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                      My problem is just the opposite. I'm generally good about storage between projects, and know where I keep things. However, I have far too many convenient surfaces in the shop to use as temporary resting place for tools during a project - i.e., any level surface, usually other than one of my two workbenches. Table saw, router table, RAS table, planerr table, lathe workbench - if I pass by on my way to get something else, I may just leave a tool, measuring or marking instrument absentmindedly and have to retrace my steps to find it again.
                      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 04-23-2012, 12:04 AM.
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                        I have two 3-piece HF tool chests purchased last fall and still have too many small tools to fit in. I need one more! But for once, I can find most of my hand tools at any one given moment!

It sure is nice to be able to find the tools - instead of having to go buy one cause you need it NOW and can't find it at home!
                        Maybe if you sold the extras you bought when you couldn't find your tools, you wouldn't need the third tool chest.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I always tell myself, "OK, after this project, I'll clean," but then another mini-project comes along which has me thinking, "I can knock this one out quick; I'll clean later." Snowball effect. I am a terrible procrastinator. I am starting to think the reason I don't clean is that I will discover that I really don't have any more room to grow and I'll have to start selling off big tools.

Paul

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jking
                            Maybe if you sold the extras you bought when you couldn't find your tools, you wouldn't need the third tool chest.
                            I am already thinking along those lines. But instead of selling, I made up a tool box for one of my grandsons a couple of months ago, and he uses those tools already around his house. He is naturally observant of practical things and items with nails and screws and bolts and nuts. He knows which pliers to use for which job, when to use a cresent wrench instead, and more! He already fixes things that his dad doesn't, moves pictures, centers them and re-hangs them - just not into electrical yet. And he is only 7 years old. He was over here two weeks ago and weeded my garden with out even asking, and he did a great job! Only 7 years old!

My extra tools go to him!
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jking
                              • May 2003
                              • Des Moines, IA.
                              • BT3100

^^^^That is great stuff. Great use of extra tools.^^^^

Comment

Working...