• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

Something many of you can appreciate

Hi All,

As some of you might have noticed I have a grandson that is 3 1/2 years old. Since he was just a little guy I would take hime to my shop when he would come to visit. He would sit on my bench and ask to see different tools. As he got older his favorite tool ended up being a Rigid 12 volt drill. He could get his little hands arount the handle and pull the trigger.

I am remolding our family room and for the first time he actually got the oportunity to use the drill with a driver bit and "help" me hang drywall.

When he works in the shop with me he always asks for his "woods", his "gasses" (glasses), his "tool" (the Rigid drill) and his "ear music" head phones. Most of you with little ones around probably didn't need translation on those items.

He is learning safety and is usually very good about making sure a tool gets put back where it belongs.

He loves to watch his "Woods Show" with grandpa on Monday nights and pretty much anytime we are not in the shop together.

Some times things change..... I was informed last week that my daughter and son in law will be moving out of state in two weeks. Very crushing to think that I will not have my little "Garage Rat" with me in the shop any more but I do feel truly blessed to have had the times we have had. I hope I can nurture his joy for "woods" from long distance.

I have a few more days with him and plan to make plenty of mess with him.

Thanks for listening and no the're not tears I hav something in my eye.

Jim
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

It is great when the grandkids love being around. I have one grandson that loves my vegetable garden. The little fellow (age 6) can weed a garden! i love it!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Probably just sawdust in your eye.

With the wonder of technology, you can keep your hand in with your grandson. Get him a computer with Skype. Make him a "woods" toy. Make a short video, showing how it was made. Keep him supplied with age appropriate tools. . . .

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

I agree with Steve, handiness is not as common as it once was, keep the next generations useful. My young'ins know the names of tools, the sounds they make, what sandpaper is, the smells of different woods, etc. but they don't know what DragonballZ is... So far my two don't care for cartoons and would rather be out playing ball, riding bikes, etc. so I hope I am doing something right.
        As your grandson gets older, you may want to keep this item in mind. I have been thinking about it for my son who is going to be 5 this year... this afternoon he wanted to build a bird house :-)
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by jeepman71
          Thanks for listening and no the're not tears I hav something in my eye.
          I must have had the same something in my eye. Keep the faith brother.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
            With the wonder of technology, you can keep your hand in with your grandson. Get him a computer with Skype. Make him a "woods" toy. Make a short video, showing how it was made. Keep him supplied with age appropriate tools. . . .

Steve
            That's a great idea!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Not my own kids or grands, but we have a few nieces and nephews that have gotten the DIY, Woodworking, and auto mechanics bugs... Particularly my oldest BILs boy... He comes to the house and loves to help out in the wood shop. Built a pretty nice plywood and oak center console for a 1965 Chevy 1/2 ton short box they are working on... Gonna be fun when we get to the hickory bed strips...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jeepman71
                Established Member
                • Nov 2008

Hey all thanks for the replys.

The Skype is a great idea. When my son was in Iraq he was able to use Skype and talk to my DIL and the rest of the family fairly often, pretty cool.

We got him a toy Cman bench with tools for his 3rd birthday, will have to upgrade to the real thing in a couple of years.

Jim

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Skype is a really great long-distance way for family to keep in touch. My wife and SIL have been using it for a few years, now the kids use it to keep in touch with cousins.

A great thing for kids in the shop or around a home repair project area is a cheap 3 ft. measuring tape. Kids are fascinated with them. My kids were grabbing mine every time I put it down. I saw some cheap plastic ones at HF for $.50/each and bought 6. Now, when I'm working around the house my 4 y.o. son will say "where's my little-guy tape measure?" Then he'll have a blast measuring everything in sight.
                  Bill

Comment

• jeepman71
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2008

Now that's funny, it's good to know all kids are facinated with tape measures, my grandson grabs an old 12ft that I have.

Jim

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

One "nice" feature (for kids) of the little cheap 3' tape measures is that the tape is narrow and not as stiff as most other tapes + spring that retracts the tape isn't very strong - so there's not as much risk of cutting fingers.
                      Bill

Comment

• jeepman71
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2008

That is a good point. Little fingers do cut easily.

Comment

Working...