Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If I had a time machine ...

I could go back and slap myself.

On November 17th 2003 I bought 1000 shares of AAPL at $21.02 and sold them for an 80% profit ten months later. Since then they’ve split and today would be worth 1 million. Needless to say, the investments I made after that haven’t done quite as well.
    Chr's
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I remember when they went down to just under $8.00 in '96 or so. I would love to go back to then. I almost bought some back then.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jimmy0x52
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2012
      • NYC / PA
      • RIDGID Something or other

You gotta be happy with what you made at the time, and not look back. No one can see into the future. If an 80% return was good (and it certainly is) then don't beat yourself up too much about it.

One more thing to add - it's not necessairly smart to leave most of your stock invested in a single company so even if you had kept them longer, you'd likely still not own them 9 years later (unless you had a BUNCH in other stuff where that was a small piece )

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, seriously, I did the same and looked back when I bought them in '04, I still have the portfolio tracked and sure enough it was a 4 bagger, 1500% from my modest $23 share price. Had I left my money ride I would have been better today than if I hadn't sold out, however, most of the other stocks in the same portfolio didn't do as well, almost all of the gain was from Apple. You never know, I have come to the conclusion that for me its index investing with DRIP and forget it...
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Poobah
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2010
          • SoCal
          • BT3100

A buddy of mine was going to plunk down 5k on a small networking company you probably never heard of in the 80s. Someone talked him out of it because this was still before Algore had invented the internet and nobody understood that kind of high tech voodoo yet. When he told me about this in 2002 it would have been worth over 50 million. Still can't figure out who this CISCO company is ... LOL

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I just wish I would have plopped a few grand into Apple stock before Steve Jobs came back.... Apple Macs back in the 90s were truly awful, at least compared to what they were supposed to be. Steve did a great job making obscene gobs of cash with that company...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

If I had started a stock picking newsletter 30 years ago and had some followers, those people would be wealthy beyond all their dreams today!

Of course the concept of the newsletter would be to do the opposite of my suggestions...
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I bought my first mac machine (the 'lamp' iMac) in July 2003. My B-i-L was intrigued about it, and the company. This was around the time the iPod had really caught on, and the 3rd gen iPod was released to great reception. I told him Apple was going to go places, and asked him to put some money in it. His sister (my wife) banned me from buying any stocks because (a) we had lost a bundle in the last market blowout couple of years before, and (b) she desperately wanted us to save up and buy a house after years of renting.

So he bought some serious shares while we waited then moved to SoFl and bought a house.

Today he has a profit of a quarter-million just from AAPL, while I am underwater in my mortgage. Thankfully he has enough sensitivity not to bring this topic up in our presence .

Of course, that iMac still works great!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Mildoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Copperas Cove TX
                  • BT

Made the same mistake with Microsoft as soon as Windows 3 came out decades ago. With all their stock splits, would have been a multi-millionaire by now.

The Retrospectroscope is a great tool to make you feel like a do-do.

Back in the 50s my mom was offered 100 shares of IBM. Being a widow with 2 kids she could not take advantage of it. Oh well.

OTOH, bought 1000 Apple when the first Mac came out. Since I screwed up on MS, I held on. Living on the earnigs in retirement now!!!!!!!
                  Last edited by Mildoc; 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM.
                  We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

Working...