• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Oh yeah. I had a 1962 Volkswagen at one time... I remember oil bath filtration...

One option for me is a spendy one, but the Roush CAI is 50 state legal, so it won't be a problem with the annual inspection. I worry about the added intake noise though. It's basically a not too bent tube, with a large washable cone filter, and an isolation enclosure (keeps the filter sucking cold air from the grill / headlight surround instead of hot air from just at the exhaust manifold...).

And what the hey, it would give me the bragging right to say I have a Roush equipped F150 right?
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• unknown poster
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006

I just run normal paper filters on my F150. It's not a performance car and I'm not trying to squeeze any extra power out of it. We don't have inspections here so I can run whatever I want. I have some friends who change the intake and remove the cats/mufflers when they buy a truck, but it's not something I bother with.

I cleaned the throttle body last year. I prefer to take it off and spray it with some TB cleaner so I don't drive the crud deeper into the motor. I use an old tooth brush to scrub it, let it dry, and put it back on with a fresh gasket. I have read the warnings about not removing the protective coating, but based on how mine looked that coating wasn't helping too much anyway.

Based on the milage you reported, you'll be changing spark plugs soon. Do some research before you try to change them yourself. Changing plugs on a 3v mod motor can be tricky and they sometimes break off in the head.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by unknown poster
        Based on the milage you reported, you'll be changing spark plugs soon. Do some research before you try to change them yourself. Changing plugs on a 3v mod motor can be tricky and they sometimes break off in the head.
        Yep, already have the removal tool, and a print out of the TSB from Ford on that. The 3V spark plug problem is a long time known issue. but a MUCH less problematic one than the older 2V motors spitting the plug out...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• badbert
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2011

It is kind of an inside joke, that who ever believes it's ok for you to not change your plugs for 100k deserve's what they get! But definitely buy the tool before you even think about changing the plugs! Good Call!

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by badbert
            It is kind of an inside joke, that who ever believes it's ok for you to not change your plugs for 100k deserve's what they get! But definitely buy the tool before you even think about changing the plugs! Good Call!
            Got any tips for changing the plugs on a 2000 Ranger with the 2.5L C engine - the four cylinder with 8 plugs?

I've heard different opinions on whether you really have to take off the manifold or can do it in place.

What is the plug removal tool you guys are talking about? Am I likely to need it?
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• badbert
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by woodturner
              Got any tips for changing the plugs on a 2000 Ranger with the 2.5L C engine - the four cylinder with 8 plugs?

I've heard different opinions on whether you really have to take off the manifold or can do it in place.

What is the plug removal tool you guys are talking about? Am I likely to need it?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gz5Pd-hrWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yKID...eature=related

If a picture is worth a thousand words... How much for video!

And as far as pulling the manifold... I use a mac tools double swivel socket. I don't recall ever having to remove the manifold though.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

The plug removal tool is specific to the 5.4 liiter 3 valve V8 engines from 2003 to 2008.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

You have learned the special tool isn't for your motor. I have the 2.3l one in my Ranger (may not have much longer), and a friend has the 2.5. I haven't seen that much difference in them, but haven't looked real close. I did mine and a couple at the garage without removing them, but I had smaller (less fat) and more agility then the other guys trying to do it. I bought another spark plug boot puller after the last one, as it had two of the difficult ones, boots sticking to the plugs with the wires pulling out of them. I was able to remove them, just took some time, but it would have been easier with the manifold off.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...