• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

$18 trim router at amazon.

Posted this in coffee pot because its not really about a tool but a life lesson.
    Saw this, couldn't help but look at it. Apparently you get what you pay for.

read the reviews, shows how wrong you can go for $18
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

For $18 I would give it a try.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
      For $18 I would give it a try.

go ahead. make my day. (Dirty Harry)
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        go ahead. make my day. (Dirty Harry)
        Why would that make your day?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

actually i put "go ahead" but then the forum said my message was too short. So i added the first thing that popped into my mind.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            actually i put "go ahead" but then the forum said my message was too short. So i added the first thing that popped into my mind.
            So, I take it from your statement that you were urging me to buy an $18 router, that according to your own words: "read the reviews, shows how wrong you can go for $18". Not all the reviews were negative.

Or, was there another meaning?

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Cab, let me save you the trouble of trying that $18 trim router.

My first cordless drill/driver was an 18V model called Bulldog, purchased for 19 bucks. The battery was pretty useless after being charged about five times.

My first jigsaw was from HF, and I paid less than $20 for it. Same thing. It worked for literally a few minutes before coming apart.

I'm willing to buy mid-priced tools when they provide good value, but the really cheap ones are typically cheap for a reason. Unless you want to treat them as disposable, a little more money spent elsewhere is money well spent.

Better to find tools that are being "recycled" for a reasonable price on eBay or CL.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                So, I take it from your statement that you were urging me to buy an $18 router, that according to your own words: "read the reviews, shows how wrong you can go for $18". Not all the reviews were negative.

Or, was there another meaning?

it's your money, you said "For $18 I would give it a try". It wouldn't be the first time you went against my suggestions. There were some positive reviews.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM. Reason: Some people think McDonalds serves great food.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jdon
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                  • BT3100

Hard to tell for sure from the picture (hardly informative), but appears very similar to HF cheapo trim router. I bought one a few years ago and concur with reviews- flimsy base, rack & pinion depth adjustment broke first time. Worthless for anything requiring any sort of precision. Only niche I see is where a real router is to unwieldy- I used it once standing on an extension ladder, to rough cut a hole for a light box in exterior siding (today I'd use a Multitool).

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
                    Hard to tell for sure from the picture (hardly informative), but appears very similar to HF cheapo trim router. I bought one a few years ago and concur with reviews- flimsy base, rack & pinion depth adjustment broke first time. Worthless for anything requiring any sort of precision. Only niche I see is where a real router is to unwieldy- I used it once standing on an extension ladder, to rough cut a hole for a light box in exterior siding (today I'd use a Multitool).
                    the harbor freight model is expensive compared to this one.
                    $39 bucks on sale for $25... 40% more than the $18 router.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by jackellis
                      Cab, let me save you the trouble of trying that $18 trim router.

I'm willing to buy mid-priced tools when they provide good value, but the really cheap ones are typically cheap for a reason. Unless you want to treat them as disposable, a little more money spent elsewhere is money well spent.

Better to find tools that are being "recycled" for a reasonable price on eBay or CL.
                      I agree with you Jack, as I earn a living with tools. But, $18 is pocket change, and if it works, fine. If not, I pitch it. My routers (specifically trim types), aren't cheap ones, as I usually buy PC or Bosch, and they are over $100. I did take a chance on Ryobi. At about $70, they have worked great for years.

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

I know nothing of the router in question, but I'll share this - every time that I see an advertisement for an extremely inexpensive router/bits from a no-name brand, I remember a story that I read about 10 years ago. I don't recall all of the details, but an experienced woodworker was using a router and either the bit slipped out of the collet or snapped and became a projectile that launched into his femoral artery. He had a friend with him that tried to save him (the author of the story), but he bled out within minutes.

I suppose that it could have been user error or some fluke. He may well have been using good quality tools and techniques, and it may have been an accident that could happen to anyone - but remembering that story has caused me to be extra careful with my router use and tool choices. The thought that enters my mind is "would I trust this unproven, no-name tool to spin a small, sharp bit at 20,000 RPM within 2 ft. of my body?" I'm not a "tool snob" by any means and I'm sure that I've missed out on some great bargains - some no-names do make good quality products at good prices. I'll take a chance with a drill and most other tools, but not a router.
                        Bill

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

I have 1 and a half that look just like that and cost me $21 for both of them. One was dropped and broke which is why it's one and a half. Not the fault of the tool and kept for parts should I need them. The remaining working unit has a 1/8" round over bit in it. Having gotten the base set right I'm not going to move it if I can help it. May even glue it it place. When switched on the torque seems to be about the same as other non soft start trim routers, it makes noise like the others and for my purposes it's no better or worse than the $100 models, only a lot less expensive. Would I like a Bosh or PC? Sure, and I add it to my Christmas list but I seem to get shirts instead. I don't expect it to last as long as the better tools but it just may last longer than it's safe for me to play with power tools

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Harbor Freight routers scare me. And this thing makes Harbor Freight routers look good...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

It looks suspiciously like my green cheapo Griz trim router. Same square plastic base, but mine doesn't have a rack and pinion depth mechanism. Mine's metal (I'm assuming this one is plastic) and slides up and down in the base to set the depth.

Mine seems to work pretty well for what it is. It does get very hot if you stress it much. I haven't had any trouble with the depth shifting.

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...