• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Mac users ?

Have any of you upgraded to Lion? I am happy with Snow Leopard an am wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade or is it just some bells and whistles that I probably won't use.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

I upgraded. Frankly, so far I don't see any differences that I care about. I think there were some security enhancements, but there isn't anything important that I see so far.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

I upgraded as soon as it was available. So far, the only major differences I've noticed is the Print dialog is more streamlined, the reverse scrolling (which I thought I'd hate but now find more natural), auto spell check in all applications, and the whole thing seems smoother and more stable somehow. Of course, that could be my wishful thinking.

You can turn off the reversed scrolling and a bunch of other options in the System Preferences, such as applications remembering the last opened window, etc. I also removed the Launchpad from the Dock, and I've only used Mission Control a couple of times. That might be more useful once school starts and I have a bunch of windows open at a time.

#2 Son did have to increase RAM in his laptop, but he was only running 2gb anyway. Mine seems just as speedy as before.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Well, if you like to make 3 fingered gestures and have backward scrolling it's a hit. Flight sims and direct touch interfaces are the only times where my brain seems to prefer the "natural" scrolling approach.

I use one machine with lion and two still running snow leopard and see little need to change at the moment... But then again I'm really a pagan (PC guy) at heart so none of those are particularly heavily used machines...

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I really like it. The scrolling that has been mentioned is very natural to me. If a newspaper is on a desk and you pull the top to you or push the top upward and away so that you can bring the bottom more in line with your sight - this is exactly how the scrolling does.

I love the two finger swipe! I rarely use the back buttons anymore. It sure is great to be able to move back to previous pages and then forward again to page without having to click on a button. AND up and down without arrows or mouse clicks, and still have precise control. To me, it makes me feel far more in control of what I see. It feels a little like conducting a symphony!

IF you look at StarTrek the original and then look at ST The Next Generation and notice the computer input differences - What happened was this: Originally, TNG did not have a budget for all the switches, slides and lights, so the creators of the sets said that the "software" should control the computer, and not the computer determines what the software does. Therefore, they make the panels to be controlled by touching screens and swiping motions.

This is where Apple is going. The iPad is moving in that direction; Lion is doing the same. In the end, it is about accomplishing the purpose without all the hassle and or wasted motions. However, if anyone wants to do it the way of Leopard or Snow Leopard, the new features turn off easily.

I have the MB Air i7 with the 250SSD drive and it is FAST. Photoshop opens in about 20 seconds, Windows XP opens in about 30 seconds! I am spoiled already.

The "up and down" scrolling with the "2 fingerfinger swipes" work in Safari in XP, but not the "back and forth" as in Lion.

In some ways, the motions of control remind me of slight motions of control of the Wii.

Although I got the Lion with a new computer, I would not consider going back even if I had upgraded on my old laptop. (My 5 1/2 year old laptop was having some video problems, so I had to change before the video ram went totally out.)

That said - This has been the easiest transition with the least frustration of any upgrade for me. I "migrated" my info from the older computer to this one, and everything migrated perfectly. My wireless printing came over, my two wireless units in the house work fine; Most apps worked fine but a few recommended updating or upgrading, only two had to have a paid upgrade - Parallels for running Windows, and a bible program that I purchased in 2006. What surprised me was how well the Parallels and Windows recognized my networked wireless printer and printed immediately through the Mac side without having to change settings!
          Last edited by leehljp; 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Lion has been a problem for me. I upgraded right away and the scrolling I had to turn off because I go back and forth between Mac OS And Windows multiple times a day.

I really don't like the resume features for applications. There are some where I think it would be really useful, Excel or Word, but in Safari it is just a pain. I wish it could be turned on and off by application rather than globally.

The day after I upgraded Carbonite sent me an email that their backup software doesn't work with Lion yet.

Finally, I've had three kernel panics (windows equivalent of blue screen of death) since I upgraded. I'm still trying to work out which app or extension is the culprit because it looks like a memory collision.

On the other hand, I did a clean install on an older MacBook, downloaded and installed the server extensions and it runs perfectly.
            Chr's

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I agree with most hank says. That MB Air i7 is one sweet machine! But 20 years of muscle memory don't agree with the scrolling. Once all machines in the house are on Lion I'll need to revisit that though.

Also I like my scroll bars visible, I use it a lot as indicator where I am in the document.

Using TimeMachine with 3rd party network storage is a bit troublesome, as Apple now requires certain things for it in AFP that are not mainstream yet, but updates are slowly appearing.

As a non-native speaker I appreciate the automatic spelling correction.

All in all though a relatively smooth transition. Might even migrate my wife's computer before the .1 release...

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                . . .
                I really don't like the resume features for applications. There are some where I think it would be really useful, Excel or Word, but in Safari it is just a pain. I wish it could be turned on and off by application rather than globally.
                I turned of the "resume" feature also. And as you said, I wish there was a way to do it individually rather than globally.

I know there is a way in terminal, but I don't know how to do it. I "think" I know how to but a little afraid to do it on a new computer and a well running operating system.

IF any coders are on here, IS this the correct way to turn OFF "Resume" in Safari?

defaults write com.apple.Safari NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
                Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I learned how to turn individual apps off from Global Resume:

First restore the User/Library by doing this:

Open Terminal
                  type in or paste in:
                  chflags nohidden ~/Library
                  hit "return"
                  Quit Terminal

Next, go to User/Library/Saved Application State/(what ever App that you don't want to be Resumed)
                  Click on the folder once,
                  Do a Command-I (get information)
                  Under "Shared Folder", Click on "Lock"

This will prevent this folder from being accessed and will prevent it from resuming to the last state.

Go to System Prefs/General and click on "Resume state"

At this point, Resume will work for all except for the Locked folders.

There are other ways to do this but this is the easiest for me without knowing all of the terminal commands.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Lee, I saw a video for Windows 8, blew my mind. It was built from the ground up to be a touch screen OS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                      Lee, I saw a video for Windows 8, blew my mind. It was built from the ground up to be a touch screen OS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I
                      That was very interesting. The way that he moved from window to window and through long lists of photos is what the OS X Lion does so well in many area. However, iOS for Apple's mobile devices (iPad, iPod, iPhone) was developed on the same principles for that very purpose. It is my understanding that Lion borrowed many of these features from iOS - And, this has irritated many long time Mac users. The iPad development started Before the iPhone (back in '04 or '05) and was built on these principles from the beginning. For what it is worth, the iPhone came Out Of the iPad development, not vice versa as some people think.
                      Last edited by leehljp; 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM.
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by leehljp
                        This is where Apple is going. The iPad is moving in that direction; Lion is doing the same. In the end, it is about accomplishing the purpose without all the hassle and or wasted motions.
                        Yeah, but there was already a wonderful solution to avoid that hassle and wasted motion. It was called using a mouse made any time in the last decade or so by any company other than Apple. My main home machine has a 17 button gaming mouse, but even my Macs all have at least a 5 button mouse. for about 1/16" of finger movement you have forward, back, horizontal/vertical scrolling.

Comment

• Whaler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Sequim, WA, USA.
                          • DW746

Thanks for all the info. From the sounds of things there is nothing there that I will ever use so I am just going to stay with Snow Leopard. It's not broke so why fix it.
                          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• gerti
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I learned how to turn individual apps off from Global Resume:

First restore the User/Library by doing this:

Open Terminal
                            type in or paste in:
                            chflags nohidden ~/Library
                            hit "return"
                            Quit Terminal
                            You can skip that step. Instead in Finder bring up the "Go" menu, and press the option key. "Library" will appear.

Next, go to User/Library/Saved Application State/(what ever App that you don't want to be Resumed)
                            Click on the folder once,
                            Do a Command-I (get information)
                            Under "Shared Folder", Click on "Lock"

This will prevent this folder from being accessed and will prevent it from resuming to the last state.

Go to System Prefs/General and click on "Resume state"

At this point, Resume will work for all except for the Locked folders.

There are other ways to do this but this is the easiest for me without knowing all of the terminal commands.
                            In general I'd think the Terminal method would be preferable, but as the exact command is not obvious, your method is easier to use. I could imagine that for some applications it may have side effects though.

Comment

• knotley
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2003
                              • Canada.

How to make Lion more like Snow Leopard

http://www.macworld.com/article/1613...ek_h_cbstories

Comment

Working...