• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Do you find Facebook useful?

While attending my class reunion, I was informed (several times, btw) that I really should be on Facebook. I'm a fairly tech savy guy; I use computers everyday at work, but, I guess I've always viewed it as just one more thing to take up my time. What about you?
    I can't get enough of it.
    3.23%
    It's my main method of keeping in touch with friends & family.
    22.58%
    I have an account, but, can't remember my login.
    12.90%
    Who needs Facebook? I could be in the shop?
    61.29%

The poll is expired.

• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I finally set up an acount last year. I do find it useful. I don't spend much time with it, I hardly ever post my status, and I skip over a lot of other peoples stuff. The games and other commercial BS is very annoying, but it can be ignored fairly easily.

It's a good tool that can take as much or little time as you want to give it.
    Erik

Comment

• MikeMorgan
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2009

" If unsolicited email is called Spam, then social media should be called Soylent Green." But yes, I do use facebook.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my old high school and college buddies. There are things I HATE about it though, specifically the privacy settings etc... There are things I do NOT particularly want potential employers to read sort of stuff... Especially regarding some debates I have had with friends on the opposite end of the political spectrum from me...

I plan on giving Google+ a try when it hits full release, if enough of my contacts migrate over, then I will drop Facebook all together...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Facebook is over commercialized in my opinion. Its nice to keep in touch with folks you havent seen in awhile, but honestly after the initial contact many folks just go back to their normal routines and don't really continue the correspondence unless its something of great interest. There's a reason you don't keep in touch sometimes ;P
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

I find it annoying. I don't understand why anyone thinks it's important to tell th world they are sitting in line at Mcdonalds. As a freind of mine said "facebook has become the forum for the village idiot".

If you weren't sure, I don't care for it. It might have a place for some, but I don't understand the hype and I certainly don't care who got an imaginary animal in some game.

Comment

• Shep
              • Nov 2008
              • Columbus, OH
              • Hitachi C10FL

I have an account, but never really use it. It's good to see what people are up to now and then, but since I really don't use it, I might as well cancel my account
              -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

with family and friends all over the world, its nice to be able to share pictures and stuff like that that would be month or longer in coming otherwise. I've had to tell my nieces that they have to be careful what they post on it, but mostly they are good.

As was mentioned, you get out of it what you put in. If you don't post much, it doesn't hurt you. heck I usually post a music video from youtube that I happen to be listening to more than anything. I'l post seasonal pics of the house and pics of the pups. You DON'T HAVE TO do what everyone else is doing and you don't have to read all the BS if you don't want to. If you aren't interested in games, they are easy to block with a couple clicks when someone does post something like that.

Is it useful? yeah, for what I use it for. But I won't loose sleep if I don't go on it daily.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

A few years ago my nephew who was heading to Iraq asked me join. I signed up for him but I doubt if I've even posted to it more than 2 or 3 times. Probably haven't even looked at it more than a dozen or two times. My initial impression of it was that its a great place for tweenie little girls to hang out.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Am I a member? No.

Will I join? More than likely not. For some it's how to stay in contact with family/friends. I use a phone for that. Or drive over to see them. I think that it might save gas though by facing all the time!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

http://despair.com/somevedi.html

Several have tried to get me to join. Several friends pretty much use this exclusively to communicate as well as some family. Others have tried to get me to open one for our company (I am the computer guy). I still don't have one. As I have stated elsewhere, it is easy to lose ones privacy, it is (location) to get it back.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

I'm logged in to that almost as much as I am here. These days it has more use to me that BT3Central. Those of ya'll that do not 'get it' can just not partake. I've reestablished contact with many people from my school days through FB. I use an app on my Droid that tracks my fitness activity and updates my wall when I choose for it to do so. I've simply got to say that has been the best thing since being on a cross country or track team in HS. Friends that care and offer support and encouragement. How can you not like that? The games can be fun and even a bit addicting if you let them just as the jokes on this forum have been in the past and the occasional time waster posts. FB is not for everyone and frankly there are getting to be too many kids on there for my tastes.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• sweensdv
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • WI
                          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

[QUOTE=Black wallnut;486556]................... Those of ya'll that do not 'get it' can just not partake.................. QUOTE]

Wow, is it really necessary to talk down to people like that?

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Dave I'm thinking you misinterpreted what I'm saying......

On edit and second thought... lets seee you claim it is a great place for "tweenie little girls to hang out" and another member says "facebook has become the forum for the village idiot" and yet you accuse me of talking down to folks! So first you arrogantly and smugly poke fun at those who use the resource and then accuse me of talking down with disdane in your fingers! I'm thinking I am the one that should be shocked by what you wrote. If you think I was talking down to anyone you are sadly missing my point. Just like here those that do not want to be members and read the posts can simply just choose not to, does that make my intent more clear to ya?
                            Last edited by Black wallnut; 07-14-2011, 05:23 PM.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• billwmeyer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Weir, Ks, USA.
                              • BT3000

I signed up for it when Wood Magazine was posting on it for a show in Vegas or somewhere. I don't remember how they hyped it, but I thought it would be something I would like to get info on. I am not sure I even knew what facebook was then. Then about a year later, someone I had not heard from in 30 years or so contacted me through it, and then kept sending friend suggestions. I did enjoy talking to the old class mate, but I realized many years ago that the ones I want to contact I do. I really don't care for it but I tolerate it. I would like it much better if I would quit getting the farmville requests etc.

Bill
                              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...