X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

A fun day at Harbor Freight

I've been wanting a pocket hole jig but didn't want to spend the full $, so I read that the HF jig works pretty well for the money. Off I go to the closest HF, which is about 28 miles away through traffic. I get there and can't find it. Ask for help, associate has no clue what I am looking for. They find in the system and have 2 available. One looks like the box was crushed by a pallet jack, the other is on the top shelf and "open". I decide to take the open one and do a quick check to see the if the parts are there. All seems good. I go to check out and they give me a hard time about a 20% off coupon printed from their website, but finally honor it. Off I go. I get to the house, unbox and discover that the step bit is missing. Box it back up, off I go to rack up mile # 84 for the day. I forgot to mention, the store is in an area that isn't what I would describe as secure. When I get out of the car, I hear a string of profanity that starts with the sixth letter of the alphabet (you can do the math) and contains some pretty serious threats, only to be answered by it's equal from the other party. So, head down, I get into the store. Then I realize one of the people in the parking lot has just followed me in the store---the store manager.

Anyway, I go up to the register, and of course, it's the manager who rings me up. I show him the box, and receipt (3 hours old) and explain what happened. He proceeded to tell me that I probably shouldn't have expected all the parts anyway since all they sell is "cheap crap" and that's pretty typical. I just ignore and ask if I can exchange...he says sure, provided they have one. He then proceeds to try and sell me the extended warranty because--you'll love this--and I quote "when the d*mn thing breaks, I won't have to type in your whole address again, just a number". I politely declined and he told me, "ok, it's your time, not mine".

I took my new jig and quickly left. From now on, if I shop HF, it will be online. Hopefully the jig works at least.

How was your day?
  • TheChadNC
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Hickory, NC USA

Sounds like you went to the one in Charlotte NC! I've been to that location once....enough said!
    "Hey you dang woodchucks, Quit chucking my wood!"

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds like your "local" HF needs to be moved to a more secure area, and staffed with better staff... My local one is in the barrio, but I have never felt in danger there, and the staff has always been courteous, not always knowledgeable, but at least courteous...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Stores like that won't be on the radar of the Camarillo headquarters and remedied if not reported. I'd write up the exchange and send it in.

I have only had courteous service in the two stores near me - and they know the "gems" from those not, but don't bad-mouth their own merchandise. If you got this pocket-hole jig, I think you got a gem.
        Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

a fun day at Horrible Fright

If that jig pictured in another post is the one you bought...it is a good one!
          I have it,used it and I like it works really well for me. Hate to to hear about the
          bad experience at the their ,store...I would report them to upper management
          ASAP. Another poster said he had a bad experience at the Charlotte,NC store
          I have never had a bad time there, nor at the Pineville,NC store nor in Kannapolis,NC either. Hope yours was a one time only event and will soon change for the better.I know, location means everything to a store....not only as far as sales,customers and the public in general.

Comment

• Relative
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Garden Grove, CA
            • Ridgid R4512

I have one of these and am very pleased with it. The only problem I ever had was some tear-out on plywood, but if you go light on the drill pressure, it's avoidable.

Mike
            Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

The 2 HFs in San Diego were OK. The staff was chipper and helpful.

The one near my house in MD is OK. There has been colorful language used
              by one of the younger guys on staff but not directed at anyone or anything.
              Nothing near as bad as what you experienced.

That's too bad you had to deal with that.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

All of the other times I've been there, the staff has been very helpful, and it was only one employee, who just happened to be a manager, probably just having a bad day. As for the area of town, well, can't really change that, so I'll just be sure to go there in the middle of the day. HF is still a good place to shop with some diligence and patience, and depending on the need.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

if he was heatedly arguing with punks as you say in the parking lot just a few minutes before, that explains why he was perhaps a bit irritable.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sailor55330
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2010

Lchein, There's little doubt that he was irritable from dealing with the parking lot issue. The unusual part is that the "punks" were probably 10 years older than the manager. I really meant to post this as more humor than anything.

Comment

Working...