• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Do You Remember These?

For as long as I can remember, one way or another there was a cable spool table in my life. For those of you that don't know what they are, here is an example:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04036+blog.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	797391
    The best I can say is that they are usually free, and close to indestructible. I had one in college, and that was when the bricks and boards were popular. But, back then was before I learned to respect furniture.

I met a magnificent woman after my second divorce that had one in her apartment. I made her my third wife (and she still is), but not because of the table. She has an extremely thorough methodology as part of her persona (definitely not genetic). She found her spool table along side of the road, and decided to make it a part of her household. Her story tells of how stained and dirty it was.

She has class, and that means take the thing apart, sand all the parts to bare wood, then stain and finish. That was what she did. What she didn't do was mark all the parts to know how the table would go back together. She said it took hours of swapping pieces until everything fit. I gotta say for a free spool table it looked pretty darn nice. So, her advice is if you take one apart, mark all the pieces first.

Here is a site that has a few suggestions to glamorize one of those things, it's called Crimes Against Furniture (check out the headboard). If you have a good story about a cable spool table, or have one now, tell your story.

• dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Not only do I remember those, I had one in my first apartment. Like your bride's, mine was pressure washed, sanded down totally clean and even to bare wood, and in my case stained with Minwax Natural Oak stain, and then Minwax brush on gloss poly... Felt spacers were used to hold a glass top from a glass table that had busted legs for that extra touch of class... Eh, it worked, I ended up giving it to a friend when I moved...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Great topic Cabman. I love the old spools. I found this one floating in Prince William Sound in 1974 while on a fishing trip out of Whittier AK. Took it home dried it out and put on a couple coats of varnish and have hauled it around ever since.
      Attached Files
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Never had one, but have always kept my eye out, as I thought it would be a good table on a porch, between some chairs.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

remember seeing those in some dorm rooms at college.
          Worked for a company that made towed seismic cables, we had hundreds of cables on those reels per system. Never actually wanted one, though.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            remember seeing those in some dorm rooms at college.
            Never actually wanted one, though.
            Just think of it as recycling.

Comment

• Crash2510
              • Feb 2006
              • North Central Ohio

we have four of these in our shop. We can't get rid of them. Most of the time they get turned into toys for our goats.
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Crash2510
                we have four of these in our shop. We can't get rid of them. Most of the time they get turned into toys for our goats.
                Find a kid trying to furnish his first apartment...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I had one in my patio back in the days but, the termites got it.

Comment

• Crash2510
                    • Feb 2006
                    • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Find a kid trying to furnish his first apartment...
                    probably could set them outside of the local college apartments. They would be gone in minutes
                    Phil In Ohio
                    The basement woodworker

Comment

• smorris
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I had one that followed me around through college and for many years afterwards.
                      --
                      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

There was one of those sitting in the yard when we bought our Painted Post home, almost 40 years ago now. They previous owner had painted it it blue, using the old house paint. Must have been damp when he painted it, or something, because it just held in the mosture (and insects). The thing was so rotted you couldn't do anything with it.

I had to disassemble it in order for the village to take it away. I think I still have the hardward (bolts, nuts and those large washers) out in the lawn shed.

I haven't seen one of those since that time.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• sscherin
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Kennewick, WA, USA.

We used to have a ton of them at the club flying field..
                          they made great work tables for aircraft..

You can see a few of them in this video from the mid 80's
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/sscherin#p/u/17/IEcSjY5KkoM
                          William's Law--
                          There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                          cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• eezlock
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Charlotte,N.C.
                            • BT3100

do you remember these?

I certainly do remember those...I have pulled miles of cable off those reels
                            when I worked on a power line crew. Fact is, I still have one sitting on my back porch right now, has been there for years, make a good outdoor worktable
                            for around the yard type of usage. eezlock

Comment

• smorris
                              • Apr 2003
                              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Who's used one of those as a work surface and heard the sound of a part falling into the center hole?
                              --
                              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

Working...