• Show
Clear All
  • luteman
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Northern Michigan
    • BT3100-1

New Woodworking Show on PBS

Has anyone seen the new woodworking show on PBS called "Rough Cut with Tommy Mac?" I think it has been slotted into the old New Yankee Woodworker
    space. This new show reminds me of someone on "crack". And his Boston accent is a pain to my ears. Anyone else out there have any opinions on this new show? Makes me wish they'd bring back Scott Phillips.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I saw one episode in November, set my TIVO to catch any new ones on any channel and not a single one has been picked up. I think our local PBS station may have had the same opinon you did.

I don't remember what he was working on in the one episode I saw, but it seemed like I saw 10 steps of a a 50 step process, and not necessarily any of the important steps. I just remember thinking the show was badly done but I'd give it a chance.
    Chr's

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Originally posted by twistsol
      I saw one episode in November, set my TIVO to catch any new ones on any channel and not a single one has been picked up. I think our local PBS station may have had the same opinon you did.

I don't remember what he was working on in the one episode I saw, but it seemed like I saw 10 steps of a a 50 step process, and not necessarily any of the important steps. I just remember thinking the show was badly done but I'd give it a chance.
      Being desperate for SOMETHING, I've watched 3 shows so far. I concur.
      Whereas it seemed that Norm was talking to you, it seems as if Tommy is talking at you. Maybe not fair to make the Norm comparison, but it's what I knew.
      It's sort of 'now we'll do this, ok now we'll do that', mixed in with a sort of 'gee whiz' quality that just doesn't strike the right chord with me.
      Norm had this calmness and flow to his presentation that was really appealing to me.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

First DIY and David Marks parted ways. Then His Norminess decided he had had enough of the schedule.

PBS touted Mac as 'the new Norm'. I guess they figured anyone from New England that knew what the business end of a hammer looked like would have to be an instant hit and accepted as a woodworking guru.

The woodworking and home improvement venues on DIY have turned into a collection of sawdust and censor bleep filled reality shows. (Renovation Realities, Renovation Rookies, Run My Renovation (?) ....) Cool Tools is the last new show I have seen that was worth watching, and that was mostly for the entertainment value of Chris Gundy.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

"Rough Cut" is indeed a strange show. I've seen seven or eight episodes, I suppose, and am not seeing any signs of improvement. After watching the first couple I thought, "Well, maybe it'll get better." It's not. Host Tommy MacDonald seems extremely nervous in front of the cameras. The pacing is frenetic, and disorganized. There are a lot of goofs that don't get edited out. It's more like an amateur YouTube video than a professional production.

I do get the impression Tommy Mac is an accomplished woodworker, but he's not the natural-born teacher that Norm Abram and David Marks are.
          Last edited by LarryG; 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM.
          Larry

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

i've seen several episodes of rough cuts. mom always told me "if you can't say something nice about someone or some thing, don't say anything at all". and so, i'm done.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I've watched it a few times and Tommy Mac drives me crazy with his frantic activity. It is scary to watch someone so apparently hyperactive at the tablesaw, I keep waiting for fingers to fly. Norm always seemed to exude calm in the shop and safety, I don't get the same feeling from Tommy.

He completely skips the details on how something is done, just shows the completed cuts and leaves you wondering how it was done. I can't figure out what his assistant is there for, seems to just be a space filler, maybe they could get Heidi to fill that spot. And if I hear OK guys one more time I'm gonna jump. Actually I think the show is probably better if I turned off the sound.

I don't think Woodcraft is doing themselves any favors with this guy but we'll just have to wait and see if he polishes up.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• 3thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Northern Colorado
                • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

I recently discovered this show, and I didn't think it was very good. I'm glad to hear that some of you guys think the same, and it's not just me.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I haven't seen the show and probably won't based on what you guys are reporting. I have met Tommy Mac (T-Nut) and yes... he is hyper. A shame the show is not put together well and he comes across that way as I can assure you Tommy is a brilliant craftsman! Obviously ability to execute and teaching others to execute don't necessarily grow on the same vine...

Y'all have a great day....

Comment

• jdon
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                    • BT3100

i've seen several episodes of rough cuts. mom always told me "if you can't say something nice about someone or some thing, don't say anything at all". and so, i'm done.
                    But he does have big biceps

Comment

• uglystick
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Garland, TX, USA
                      • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

OK guys, I haven't seen the PBS show, but I have watched several hours of the how-to video podcasts he did before. From your comments, the two sound very similar. I do appreciate his skills with hand tools and have learned some things from watching. Hopefully they'll be able to adapt the show with feedback from viewers like you...(PBS, get it?)
                      Last edited by uglystick; 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM.
                      -Kendall

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have to agree. I LOVED his video podcasts that were on Bob Villa's site. But that was a short video, not a half hour show.

Tommy's incredible. He has a lot of knowledge and skill. He also has found some excellent ways to find solutions. For his bombay secretary, there were a lot of tricks he had to figure out. I also really like how he showed his errors and how he fixed them.

I hope the show gets better and stays around- he seems like a good guy and I'd like it to be successful.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

I enjoy watching it, for the simple fact of it being on TV. He's way too fast paced, talks with his hands entirely too much and the co-hosts seem superfluous. The visit to the church for the pulpit didn't seem to connect at all, the road trips could cease and put more time into the woodworking.

I hope he refines his craft as to hosting, I saw an immense improvement between episodes one and two. I recently discovered the Woodsmith Shop as well. Those guys are a bit goofy, but it's a very good show.

I'm giving TMac (I hate that nickname) some time. Norm did it for over 20 years, he's only a year in.
                          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Now in all fairness, and with all due respect to Nahm, I always thought Norm Abrams talked oddly, and I had trouble understanding him sometimes. (What is a draw?, oh a DRAWER!). It's those quirky idiosyncracies that I liked so much in Norms show. I am somewhat hopeful that Rough Cut is brought to Houston, haven't noticed it yet....
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I really like SteveInMarin on Youtube. I don't watch many podcasts, but I do enjoy his projects and I like his approach and delivery. I would like to see him get a shot at a show.

One of these days I am going to make that darn cube in a cube...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
                              Joe

Comment

Working...