• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Looking Over Lake Erie

It always amazes me to see when one of the great lakes freezes over. This is Lake Erie, which feeds Niagara Falls. When the winter is cold enough, you can cross from the Canadian shore to the US on foot( theoretically)
    Attached Files
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Richard for bringing back

some of my memories of Lake Erie. I was born and raised in Marion,Ohio and we did a LOT of ice fishing up there on Erie. And in the summer were would swim at East Mable Head. It still looks like it did back in the 50s and 60s! COLD!!!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I remember as a boy, back in the 70's living in Bay Village, just west of Cleveland, and yes, Erie froze, ice fishing was common. Haven't been there since '80. No idea if it still freezes up....
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Yep, it sure does still freeze. You can count on at least one Coast Guard rescue for ice fishermen every year, though.
        Joe

Comment

• jcjrsmith
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I grew up in the Cleveland area and love that lake. My sister has a place in Euclid, Ohio on a bluff overlooking the lake. We had a great family get-togethere there for my Mother's 80th birthday.

We were always glad when the lake finally froze over each winter so the lake effect snows would stop.
          Jerry in PA
          ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
          http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Great picture. The very idea that such a large lake could freeze over is sorta impressive.

Related question - does the niagara falls also freeze? If yes, does the falling water freeze 'mid-way'? IOW, do you get to see an 'ice-fall' instead of a water-fall? My sense of physics somehow tells me it shouldn't be so - either the water does not freeze (because of volume and force of the water), or if it did, we shouldd see two frozen parts : the lake at the top, and another at the bottom. Would love to find out I am wrong and that nature could be more impressive than physics !
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Niagara Falls itself doesn't freeze. Infact the upper river also doesn't freeze, although there is a steady flow of ice chunks going over the falls. The lower river developes an ice bridge. In very cold winter, you can theoretically cross the river on the ice bridge. People have been caught trying to sneak across the border over the ice bridge. I have included a couple of pictures I took last winter.
              Attached Files

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow! Breathtaking pictures! I can almost breathe the cold atmosphere!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by radhak
                  Wow! Breathtaking pictures! I can almost breathe the cold atmosphere!
                  Thank you for the compliment. You really have to be there to appreciate the beauty created by the frozen mist.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

The prettiest thing that I could think of there would be the Interstate 75 south sign.
                    Time to put up my heavy coat for the year ( a sweatshirt) because today is to be our frist 70 degree day.
                    capncarl

Comment

Working...