• Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddyjohn
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Fort Wayne, IN.
    • Jet 10" Contractor

Am I wrong?

I thought readers of this board may appreciate this situation.

Last week, wife calls me while I'm working to let me know she's okay but the brakes went out on the truck. Older f150 brake lines corroded through. Meanwhile, I'm stewing as I can't do anything about it for a week due to work commitments.

So after my stretch of back to back 12 hour shifts, I am finally looking forward to a few days off and being able to work on the truck. Innocently, I ask her the night before, "I CAN go into the garage can't I?" (had odd feeling for some reason, that she may be stashing my gifts in there). She doesn't come out and say NO but, weakly argues that I shouldn't be out there anyway since it's so cold (20's) and there' no heat. (detached garage/shop). I remind her that I have to work on the vehicle and that's where my tools are. So after an hour or so this, she calls the oldest daughter downstairs and says they are going to the garage. I quietly laugh. Daughter comes back inside and tells me I have to go the bedroom and stay there while they relocate whatever it is they are moving. I laugh and say "ummm, I'll be in the bathroom!"

They move things around and in the meantime, my (ahem) library time, is interrupted by an unusual "Clang" sound. I can't help but try to associate this sound with something. It's part of my nature. By occupation, I am constantly paying attention to that type of detail. Sounds, stories, actions out of place, etc.. Sometimes it means danger, sometimes it just means stupid lying people. Anyway, the point is, I really pay attention. It's metal, with a low pitched tone, and I KNOW I've heard that sound before, somewhere. Instantly, my mind races through all of the sounds in memory. I can only come up with one possible source of that "Clang".

Fast forward to last night. Oldest daughter has friends over. They are joking around and she starts goading me about whether I have AGAIN figured out what my gift is this year. I am notorious for this. Drives the wife crazy. So does watching Wheel of Fortune and me blurting out the answer after 2 letters; getting most of the Jeopardy questions; figuring out the movie only 5 minutes into it and stewing until I tell her "Who done it".

So I of course, tell them I have indeed figured it out but won't reveal the answer. They keep ribbing me so I get an envelope and make the following prediction and even provide how I came to this conclusion: It's a bandsaw. Rationale is that "Clang" I heard. Remember, I was in the "Library" concentrating (i.e., reading shopnotes) when that "Clang" happened. The "Library" is on the second floor, adjacent to the oldest daughter's bedroom. Now, anyone who has ever assembled a open stand woodworking tool has heard this noise. Particularly, anyone who has owned a BT3100. It just makes a loud Clang that is not reproduced in nature. But I already have a table saw, drill press and planer. I don't have a jointer but there is NO way that my wife and daughter would have been able to carry a jointer in the house, then up stairs and stash it. Trust me here, not even a benchtop model. But, a bandsaw? An open base version? Yes, that's it! Absolutely has to be what the "Clang" was from.

So the morale of this rambling is that a I will be the proud new owner of a bandsaw come Xmas morning. And how do I know this you ask? She opened the **** envelope then proceeded to storm about the house complaining that I once again figured out what my present was going to be.

I then spent an uncomfortable night on the couch, dreaming of what make, model, size, etc and what wonderful projects I will make with it!

p.s. I love you babe and thanks for trying to surprise me.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

It's really not too late for her to get in the last word. She could return it and swap it for a lump of coal. Or a Jointer.
    I do wish you the best of luck on your deduction though. A Bandsaw is a wonderful tool. Let us know how it goes.
    Lee

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

BigDaddy,

show her your last sentence of your post!
      and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Sometimes it's H*ell always being right.
        Erik

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

You're obviously young and new to the marriage game .

I tease my wife all the time, but about things that I know will make her laugh. When I give her a hard time about things that really don't matter, I realize (only after the deed is done) that I've rubbed the wound raw for no good reason.

Let your wife have her fun, and by all means show her the last line in your post.

My wife thought it was a cute story.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i write this with 30+ years experience.

Showing you're right may be important to you but letting your wife have her way and be happy repays itself many times over. I would have kept my mouth shut and acted surprised!!!

Among other benefits, You will then get more (good) surprises in the future.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

LCHIEN is right. It may be a little fun being "right" but upsetting the wife never worked well for me. Especially when she was trying hard to please me. I wanted her to be happy more than I wanted to prove how good I was at figuring out her gift to me.

My late wife never understood my tools. I would specify what I wanted and where to get it. Part of the problem is I enjoyed shopping and finding the best deal. We had the same problem in reverse for her clothes. I was "allowed" to buy a few things but any serious money had to go into a gift card. She much preferred to do her own shopping - and always looked great. She would wrap up a bunch of things she'd purchased herself and then act surprised when she opened them.

Jim

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

"The better part of valor is discretion..."

- Falstaff in Henry the Fourth
                JR

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Fort Wayne, IN.
                  • Jet 10" Contractor

I think the post should be retitled to "I was right but still ended up on the couch" or "When you're right you are wrong" or something like that.

The post was written with a big grin on my face as I was chuckling the whole time. Although I have years and years of experience, I still make mistakes. This year, I screwed up. But she is also joking and ribbing about it so there seems to be some levity with it. In fact, she has only just finished egging me about it and letting me know that although it was taken apart, I haven't seen the parts that are hidden and in fact they are right in front of my eyes. So end the end, the jokes on me because I have NO IDEA where the darn thing actually is!

Merry Christmas to all of you and from our family to yours, enjoy the time you have with them.

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Sounds like it all turned out fine. Let us know what shows up under the tree.

Comment

• 3thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Northern Colorado
                      • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Maybe she just let you think that you had guessed right. You probably got a George Foreman cooker!

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Fort Wayne, IN.
                        • Jet 10" Contractor

Well, it all worked out. Score one craigslist find for Xmas! She did GOOD! Thanks babe for working so hard.

We have been blessed with a good Christmas. Here's hoping your family's do also.

Attached Files

Comment

• Hoakie
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Iowa
                          • Craftsman 21829

Very cool. I had that model for a while...worked well. Can't wait to see what you create with it.
                          John
                          To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I only needed to read the first couple of lines. If you're married, you're wrong; just accept it.

By the way, nice saw.
                            Chr's

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

When you mentioned the "clang" sound, I thought she had bought my car. Glad it worked out.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...