Ello Guvner! Going to England for business.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ello Guvner! Going to England for business.

I'm going to Manchester, England for 10 days the Sunday after Thanksgiving
    on business.

Anyone been there? I've heard it's the "gritty city" and from one of the Brits
    I occassionally interact with who went to university there, he said, "Oh, I'm
    sorry for you. Do try to check out York."

I've vacationed in London before and didn't feel it was much different than
    NYC except it was cleaner, the people were nicer, the Tube didn't smell like
    pee and it was twice as expensive.

So what should I expect from the people in Manchester? I'm fairly laid back
    (T-shirts and jeans at work) but I've been told the British workplace is rather
    conservative so I'm going to wear nice shirt and jeans. We are going to be
    working around instrumentation so I need to be comfortable.

I also wanted to bring my counterpart a little present in appreciation of the
    work they've done for us (of course, they're getting paid to do it, but
    nonetheless). I've never met the guy but I know he has twin boys. I wanted
    to bring him something that was uniquely American. I know that's vague but
    any ideas would help.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A trip to England...that's cool. You should PM Ray, and maybe look him up while there.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I'd call and check what exactly they wear at work. Jeans does not sound 'conservative'. I wouldn't be surprised if they wore suits. But of course you don't have to be exactly like them !

A baseball kit might be good for a man with twin boys. I'm sure they'd not go out and purchase that there! But then you risk alienating the lady in the house and may not get the best crumpets with tea .

(Btw, what are crumpets?)
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I would guess at a minimum slacks a shirt and tie. Definitely call ahead and find out what proper attire is. I've been to the UK a number of times and I've never seen jeans in an office. With the exception of Australia, the nicest people I've ever worked with are there.

I've been to Manchester once about 15 years ago. Flew in, just about got hit by a truck while stepping off the curb because I looked the wrong way, then we drove up to Preston where I made a right turn in front of oncoming traffic and just about killed the entire finance team. I just about get killed every time I go to the UK because traffic just isn't where it is "supposed to be."
        Chr's

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I can't help on the Manchester thing, and, never having worked in a lab, I'm no good on the dress code.

As to gifts, try US wines which might be difficult to find in the UK. Or NFL stuff.

BTW - slightly amusing story. I was riding my bike while getting new tires on the truck on Sunday. I stopped in at the Crown and Anchor for breakfast, which had a placard outside advertising "Every NFL game, every Sunday". Well, there was a good crowd inside watching Premier League on every screen! As soon as the NFL came on everyone cleared out.

JR
          JR

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by JR
            which had a placard outside advertising "Every NFL game, every Sunday". Well, there was a good crowd inside watching Premier League on every screen! As soon as the NFL came on everyone cleared out.

JR
            Surprising - such a discerning crowd in California... !

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• Kristofor
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Obviously it may be different from one business to another but I have a couple pictures of some co-workers & customers who are in three different labs in the UK with several of our instruments. It looks like one of the customers may be wearing black jeans but the rest (~20ish folks across 3 sites) seem to be wearing slacks with a few others in scrubs. These are hospital/reference lab type locations, perhaps an academic setting may be different.

My personal rule of thumb is when traveling to other locations that are part of the company I work for, is to dress like I do at my office (jeans and a dress shirt more often than not). I will adjust that if I need to give a presentation to a site-wide audience, meet with executive management, or the like.

However, if I was going to a customer's site I'd inquire ahead of time and conform with their expectations.

Comment

• milanuk
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Originally posted by JR
                As to gifts, try US wines which might be difficult to find in the UK.
                When we were over there last summer, the local grocery stores (started with an 'S', basically their equivalent of Safeway) had a fair number of California wines and such. Whether they were *good* wines or not... well I haven't met too many wines I actually like, so good luck to ya

Over all I liked the place, but driving down two lane streets in residential areas with the parking spots lined out *in the traffic lanes* and having to dodge both oncoming traffic and parked cars was insane. The breakfast foods were definitely interesting... blood sausage and those dang tomatoes! Being able to get milk that made our 'whole' look like low-fat was sweet, though
                All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I lived and worked in London for 18 months. Most of the folks in the financial district had adopted American-style business casual dress by the time I left. This is what I'd recommend. Jeans are probably a bit too casual.

My wife is the wine buyer in the family and generally recommends that her cousins not pick up what's available in the local grocery stores - it's not horrible, but it's also not very good. The better wines in England come from Spain, Australia, and South Africa. You should try some of those while you're in England since they're hard to find here.

If any of your American acquaintances tell you horror stories about English food, ignore them. My wife and I have spent a lot of time in the UK in the last 20 years and we've never had a bad meal. In fact, when I was living over there I finally had to put my foot down about dining out because we were spending a bit too much money trying out nice restaurants.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

Make sure you take along a box of donuts. When ever my cousin and his wife visit Canada, the first place they stop( even before they get to where they are staying) is a Tim Hortons!
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• gjat
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                      • BT3100

My wife was born in England and we've been there visiting family.
                      Absolutely no on the jeans. They do not wear them as often as Americans do and are deemed not suitable for any kind of 'professional' wear. They rarely even wear shirts with patterns.
                      A Sainsburys would have all the various wines including American wines. But wine is such a personal choice and the variety is outstanding in Europe.
                      When family visits here, they love food such as buffalo wings, mexican food, fried chicken, etc. Kinda hard to bring a Beef O Brady's to the UK.

The baseball stuff could be a good idea for the kids.

What we often do is wait until we see them and inevitabley the topic comes up about what we like in each other's countries. They are BIG in choclates and candies, leaning mostly to chocolates. Go to a Sainsbury or WhiteRose and you'll see. My wife's cousin has a thing about moon pies and we sent them over later as a thank you.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I guess I need to clarify about the workplace setting. I'm going there for a
                        factory acceptance test for a piece of equipment we're buying--$3/4 mill piece
                        of equipment.

I'm sure there will be sales people and managers around but I will be on the
                        factory floor for several days putting this thing through its paces, etc. That's
                        why I thought it would be appropriate for me to be able to wear jeans.

They are not my customers; I am theirs. I don't figure I need to impress
                        anyone by how I look, but I do want to properly represent my organization.
                        I'll bring the jeans just in case, but will wear slacks and nice shirt the first
                        day or two and gauge what everyone out on the floor is wearing.

Good idea about the baseball stuff. I'll ask our sales rep some recon questions
                        so I'm not buying toy bats and balls for "kids" that are in their teens. Wine
                        was a good thought but like someone else said, Europe already has a great
                        selection and besides, my counterpart is originally from France so he probably
                        knows a thing or two about wine. Maybe as a gag, I could buy some "2 buck
                        chuck" and we could have a taste test.

Paul

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          I guess I need to clarify about the workplace setting.

They are not my customers; I am theirs. I don't figure I need to impress
                          anyone by how I look, but I do want to properly represent my organization.
                          I'll bring the jeans just in case, but will wear slacks and nice shirt the first
                          day or two and gauge what everyone out on the floor is wearing.

Paul
                          In general, Americans tend to think practical and what's on the inside that counts - i.e. it's the performance, not the looks. But outside of most US cultural situations, it is the "looks" that sets the tone for acceptance. And beware that most cultures will say "What ever makes you comfortable" but in reality will judge you silently for taking them at their word!" As you said, look at what they wear and follow suit, or jeans!

If I wear a suit to government offices, businesses, or to the airport, I get a lot more respect, and usually gain the advantage of "gray" (or "grey" ) areas. If I am in jeans, even nice new jeans, I do not get these. Being the customer does have its advantages but it does affect their attitude. In other cultures, it is not always about the sale, it is about the attitude and relationship developed in the sale. A show of respect for other cultures greatly enhances this.

A close personal friend and QC engineer for Texas Instruments use to come to Japan for QC inspections and discussions with a local but international manufacturer. The first couple of times over, he had difficulties. He said that they (Japanese) are great in business negotiations but in the States he has no problems. But over here, he said he has trouble with negotiations with the same fellows.

I told him the location changed. "You are in Japan now!"
                          He asked "what does that mean?"
                          I said "The game changes when in a different land."
                          He said, But "I am the customer."
                          I replied, "Outside of the US, there is a different way of doing things. Respect for their culture on their soil is paramount and more important than the sale itself." I helped him to adjust his "negotiations" and the next day, he said "It worked! It went smooth today." And afterwards too.

Two years ago, a similar thing happened when two men from an east coast company came to Nagoya with some problems with tech issues in some satellites. One was an online friend on another forum. We met, had lunch and dinner and out for the day. Over lunch, I gave some instructions on culture and how to "dialog" on Japan's soil. I also mention that it gains more respect to overdress than to underdress. I got a note later on how helpful that little bit of information helped.

Americans do tend to think of the customer as having rights, but other cultures resent that attitude as they take it as disrespectful of them the manufacturer. Most cultures think of it as a "relationship/partnership."

A coat and tie may not gain you any advantage but it won't lose you any. Jeans won't gain you any but can help lose the advantage. Bill Gates and MS lost a lot of respect and forehand advantages a few years ago when he showed up in jeans and a sports coat to a luncheon with some government officials in China. Outside of the USA, the world is different!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I decided to "suit up" and wear dress shirt and slacks to the testing every day.
                            I don't know that it would have mattered but manager types here do wear
                            a tie but not the full suit. The guys who do the assembly work are wearing
                            polos and jeans but there is definitely a hierarchy here.

Mancunians (people from Manchester) are very well dressed. What a difference
                            from the States.

BTW, the English do not deal well with snow and ice. We got maybe an inch
                            or two of snow and the country is practically shut down.

Comment

• jackellis
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

I'm glad to hear your trip went well. A former co-worker of mine mentioned snow and carnage in the same sentence. Enough said!

Comment

Working...