• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What Makes You Mad/Angry?

I've had a few incidents recently that really set me off. Since I can't (or don't want to) pay for an analyst, I evaluated my temperament, and the different triggers.

Drivers in traffic on cell phones/texting/reading.
    A few years ago, LOML was stopped at a red light and some guy behind her rolled into her car...he was reading the paper. We have a great freeway system here with inside lanes that get slowed down and invariably there is someone with a phone propped up against their ear. This endangers the whole flow.

A loud mouth jerk standing in line at a store.
    For whatever reason somebody gets real stupid, or real brave, I find that offensive.

Customer service on the telephone.
    No matter what it's for, the menus, the waiting, the getting transferred, getting disconnected, the lies, and a lack of resolution.

Controlling children.
    My wife and I really enjoy going out to dinner at a real nice restaurant (the ones with cloth napkins). To sit near a table that the children are allowed to shout, scream and run around ticks me off. On several occasions have asked to be moved to a different table.

Sitting in a doctors waiting room way too long.
    I can understand delays. If I can manage to keep appointments, why can't others.

Getting shot at.
    Anger isn't supposed to be figured into this dilemma (military), but it's hard to rule out the possibility of getting dead. So, shoot back. Fortunately it's been a long while.

Making a woodworking mistake.
    Some of those stupid ones get me going. Have I thrown stuff across the shop? Have I smashed it to the floor and stomped it to smithereens? Oh yeah. That's a tough one to control. I just can't stand still and say: "Oh gee whizz, it's wrong".

While the anger can be instantaneous, the coming down from it may take a while. For those of us with high blood pressure, it's not a good thing. Maybe as we get older our tolerance level drops.

So, what makes you mad?

• toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by cabinetman
    ... Have I smashed it to the floor and stomped it to smithereens? ...
    better watch the stomping, what with the knee issues.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by toolguy1000
      better watch the stomping, what with the knee issues.
      Could be that's what did it.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Politicians in general.
        Richard

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Drivers in traffic on cell phones/texting/reading.
          A few years ago, LOML was stopped at a red light and some guy behind her rolled into her car...he was reading the paper. We have a great freeway system here with inside lanes that get slowed down and invariably there is someone with a phone propped up against their ear. This endangers the whole flow.
          I saw a new one this morning. On my way to work, I was passed by someone in a Prius watching a show/podcast/something in the car. Had a screen (not sure if it was a DVD player or iPad) propped up on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

what makes you mad/angry?

Cab, I am in agreement with those things you listed....especially the one about children.

(1) my cousin and I think alike on that very item. We say, that if restaurants
            have a "no smoking policy" and enforce it, they should also have a section of the restaurant or a entire restaurant that is a "no children permitted" restaurant" as well.We despise the fact that "some" parents don't or won't discipline their unruly offsprings! Children with their loud bloodcurdling screams.....really set me on fire and get me mad really fast!

(2) drivers with cell phones texting and driving at the same time....these two
            things will never mix....just an accident waiting to happen!

(3) one of my own....paying good/ hard earned money for so called quality
            made tools and they don't work as they should. Case in point a
            belt sander,keeps tearing belts up, no matter what I try to do to
            correct it!
            (4) another one of mine....people who are habitually late to everything.
            They know well in advance of the starting time and are late every time
            and it disrupts everyone with their tardiness!
            (5) un- solicitated, un- identified callers on the phone, even with caller id.

enough for now......eezlock

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

What makes me mad are about the same things as you or anyone else here. But I have tried to temper my ill feelings as I also have begun to realize the older I get the crankier too

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

On the unruly children in restaurants issue, I am not sure how I ever managed to get good at this, but if I can make eye contact with either of the parents, but usually it works better with the mother, and I just sort of stare them down with that "you worthless excuse of a parent" look, they typically will trot junior off to the loo and take care of any corrections needed.

If that doesn't work I will in somewhat amplified conversation with my wife or whomever is at the table mention how lousy parenting seems to be getting to be far more normal these days...

Basically embarass the heck out of the parents, and they almost always take care of their snot nosed brats.

Not that I am anti kid or anything, I just really hate lousy parenting.

Years ago I had a job that my boss would drive us between work locations, and he had a lousy habit of Texting on a very early blackberry. (this was in like 1999 or 2000). Well, in 2001, a couple of days after Tropical Storm Allison blew through I was in his truck as we were driving from the main office to one of our west side locations along the beltway, when he plumb nodded off and rear ended a truck with a tommy lift. After that I refused to ride with him at all...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Idiot people who make idiot remarks pretending that know a subject way more than they really do. And then have the b**ls to argue about being correct when they are called on it.

Being shot at, having frags thrown at me and trip wires in public places.

Absolutely no patience for fools, especially fools in positions of authority (had enough of that in SE Asia).

Bruce

BTW: also know it all's who know nothing.
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Shep
                    • Nov 2008
                    • Columbus, OH
                    • Hitachi C10FL

Mainly things that are stupid.

Stupid people, stupid mistakes, my stupid rental property.

I hate ignorance.
                    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

Eezlock, i have to plead guilty to one of your pet peeves. I think I'm really trying hard to get somewhere on time, but I'm invariably late.
                      I guess the results tell me I'm not trying as hard as I should!

Cab, as far as someone mouthing off on a line at the store, this really takes definition. I've been that guy, but I felt justified in each case.
                      I had a McDonalds employee charge me $ 1.69 for a small coke. I politely told him that something was wrong, to which he replied, 'No, that's what the computer said'.
                      I lost it!
                      The manager came over and alternately looked at the employee, then the cash register, all the while shaking his head. he then looked at me and rolled his eyes.
                      Should I have lost it? Probably not. Burt sometimes you're just having a bad day and along comes that proverbial straw...
                      It kills me that critical thought is a thing of the past, and I think computers are largely to blame for that.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

#1. People who leave kids in the car, unattended while they shop. I recently called the police on a woman who left 2 very young kids in their car seats while she did her banking. When she came out of the bank, I was a little surprised to find that she was upper middle age. Probably the grandmother. She pulled out of the parking lot, and the cop showed up, and pulled her over.

#2. When local drivers sit waiting for a red light to turn green before making a right turn (legal here). It happens all the time.

#3. Using cell phones or other things like that while driving.

#4. Parents who don't set a good example for their kids.

#5. I know there's a #5, just can't think of it.

edit: #5. People who won't get a job, but have no problem signing up for welfare and food stamps.

Ed
                        Last edited by Ed62; 11-05-2010, 04:19 PM.
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • On the TARDIS
                          • BT 3100

People who do stupid/irresponsible things and then think that they have done nothing wrong. Although I calm myself, I can full understand where road rage comes from at times.
                          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

#1. left laners

#2. unruly children, especially in restaurants

#3. drivers that speed up to close a gap so you can't change lanes, then slow down

#4. deals with reelecting the same idiots...let's not go there

I know it's wrong but, if I am in my truck, 1 and 3 usually get a real good view of what a nearly 3 ton Dodge Ram looks like in the rear view mirror!

As to the kids, like DB I'm not opposed to making comments to/about the parents. I will also go out of my way to complement parents with well behaved kids.

I would like to own a restaurant that had an extra bar with a stage, closed off and isolated from the rest of the place. Hire one gal to dance to 1 song an hour (or even one song a night). Then I could declare adult entertainment on the premises and bar anyone under 18. Once the word got out, the restaurant would be packed!
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• jackellis
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Unfortunately, lots of things:

Adults who believe in the tooth fairy

Kids who aren't well behaved

Most politicians

Anyone who doesn't understand the do-not-call list, even if they're legally entitled to ignore it

Airport security screening

Stupid people

There's more, but it;s not worth getting banned permanently.

Comment

Working...