• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Have you ordered shoes online?

I need new shoes desperately, but am not enthused by any I checked out in the stores nearby. I need formal black leathers, and something in the brown/suede / loafer types too.

So I heard that this place called Zappos sell shoes online, and are successful doing it.

Got me wondering - how could I order shoes without trying them on? Is the size the only thing matters?

Have you ordered shoes online, and what's your experience with that?

If not, where do you go?

I did buy sneakers six months ago, but I remember not being very happy with what I wanted and what I had to settle for...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i buy Florsheims and wear a 3E width, hard to find. The local store closed, I've been wearing the same style for years so I just order i from Florsheim on line. Works for me.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Where we live online ordering is the only option for clothing if you want a choice. For shoes we use www.onlineshoes.com and have been very happy with the service. Most of the online stores have great return and exchange policies, but be sure to check before ordering.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I've ordered through onlineshoes.com before with no problems.
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

I've found each brand can be slightly different on sizing & sometimes a certain style may just be uncomfortable even in the right size. I've bought shoes online a couple of times & it certainly isn't ideal.

In Loring's case where he knows brand & size, it's different. I guess I'm curious where you're looking for shoes? Do you have a shoe store or a men's clothing store nearby? I'm thinking of traditional stores, not a Payless Shoes.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

IIRC Zappos lets you return shoes that don't fit for free. Zappos isn't the cheapest place but they have good customer service.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• alpha
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Owensboro, KY, USA.

I buy my shoes online. It is like buying anything else online, except it is safer. If you don't like what you receive, send them back. They pay for shipping both ways. I shop at shoes.com, shoebuy.com, and zappos. There are also coupons if you do a google search.

Bottom line is that if you know your size AND brand, color, model, you can get a better deal on line without any sales tax for most of us. If you are not sure of any of these things, pay for the service and shop retail.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've done shoebuy.com and one other that slips my mind. They're all pretty
                much the same in that shipping is usually free in both directions. I try to
                read the reviews that other buyers have posted because some shoes run
                large/small.

I've been happy so far because I like wearing motion control shoes which are
                not always stocked at stores and can be pretty pricey.

Paul

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

I've never bought shoes online, but after reading this thread - I think I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.
                  Bill

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Last year I needed a new pair of lineman boots (no longer a lineman but I use them for tree cutting now). I drove to Red Wing shoes in Red Wing, and they didn't have my size in stock. I ended up finding what I needed on line at redwingshoes.com but bought them new on eBay for about $80 less than the factory store price.
                    Chr's

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Conway, SC.
                      • BT3000

Personally

I like Ecco shoes. Most are made in Denmark or Holland and are rather expensive. I purchased a pair of their golf shoes at Martins and paid over $200.00 about 5 years ago. But now I buy their products on Ebay at less than half that amount.
                      I like Ecco so much, I have work, dress, tennis and golf shoes. Great fit, comfortable and affordable, but only online.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

My wife prefers Ecco shoes also and she's on her feet all day.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by alpha
                          you can get a better deal on line without any sales tax for most of us
                          FWIW, in most states, online or mail order vendors who do not have a "physical presence" in the state are not required to collect sales tax. However, the buyer is still responsible for paying the sales tax. The process for remitting that sales tax to the state varies by state - some states include it on the state income tax forms, other have a separate form to file, others do something different.

In Kentucky, the tax is called "use tax" and is filed with this form:
                          http://revenue.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8...1A113O1209.pdf
                          Last edited by woodturner; 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• crybdr
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Lake Mills, WI
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I buy my running shoes online. I stick with the same brand (Saucony) - from what I understand, shoe companies have their own proprietary 'foot forms' and relative sizes that they build their shoes around. So as long as I order Saucony - the sizing has been right every time. From experience, I know that other brands don't exactly match up size-wise - usually a 1/2 size up or down.

I've ordered from Zappos and PiperLime. Whoever you purchase from, check their terms regarding shipping for exchange of a size - I thougt some of the companies had free shipping for size exchanges. Not sure if that's still the case.

Good Luck.

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by woodturner
                              the buyer is still responsible for paying the sales tax.
                              Yes, I am sure it exists - not that I have ever bothered to pay any of that; an by now I must have bought stuff worth a few thousand dollars online .

Now I hope no IRS agent is reading this to mark me down for an audit...
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...