• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

4GB SD card - non HC card needed....

do any of you know where i can get 4GB non-HC SD card? its the old format card. my gps wont read the SD HC cards.

do you know of a site or do you have a 4gb older format card and not using it? it needs to be 4gb in size. 2gb (i've got several) wont hold all the maps....

thanks!
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Is there a firmware update for your GPS to fix the SD card compatiblity issue? I had something similar with one of my Fuji cameras and flashing the firmware fixed it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

eBay???????

Here's a seller, had at least 2 auctions going with less than an hour no bids at $0.98 but $9.99 shipping
      Still worth it if you need it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-4GB-Secure-D...#ht_2092wt_716
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

You will not find many SD cards bigger than 2GB - the very reason SDHC came in was to help in faster transfer of larger volume!

You could check this out :
        http://www.amazon.com/Topram-150X-Se...p_ob_e_title_0

but really you should ask the GPS manufacturer for firmware update to allow SDHC. You might be able to use much larger cards.

edit : Loring has a point : ebay seems to have a lot of cards going for a dollar...
        Last edited by radhak; 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• sparkeyjames
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Redford MI.
          • Craftsman 21829

Here's a Newegg search for SD cards (not sdhc). The biggest one your going to get is 2 Gigabytes. There is a 3 pack listed for $20. I'd recommend the flash update if it's available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Jim

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

thanks guys for the link!!!! i searched amazon and ebay and all were turning out to be SDHC page after page...

as for the firmware update, its one of those gps that runs off the SD card, and i downloaded a operating system from one of the gps sites and they said that there is no other way but to get a regular SD card.

however, i will look into this firmware update and see if there is such a thing for this gps (staples brand, they dont carry it anymore).

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Originally posted by radhak
              You will not find many SD cards bigger than 2GB - the very reason SDHC came in was to help in faster transfer of larger volume!

You could check this out :
              http://www.amazon.com/Topram-150X-Se...p_ob_e_title_0

but really you should ask the GPS manufacturer for firmware update to allow SDHC. You might be able to use much larger cards.

edit : Loring has a point : ebay seems to have a lot of cards going for a dollar...
              Not to poke a pin in anyones baloon, but I've heard that there are many 'relabeled' (2gb relabeled as 4 etc.) sd cards on ebay, so if you go that route be sure to check the sellers ratings.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                thanks guys for the link!!!! i searched amazon and ebay and all were turning out to be SDHC page after page...

as for the firmware update, its one of those gps that runs off the SD card, and i downloaded a operating system from one of the gps sites and they said that there is no other way but to get a regular SD card.

however, i will look into this firmware update and see if there is such a thing for this gps (staples brand, they dont carry it anymore).
                the link i posted was for a standard SD sized 4 GB card....
                as per the dimensions listed. The SDHC is smaller.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

There's no physical difference between SD and SDHC cards. Official cap for SD cards are 2GB. There are 4GB cards out there, but I've found that they aren't reliable.

Firmware updating to SDHC capability is possible, but not guaranteed.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                    There's no physical difference between SD and SDHC cards. Official cap for SD cards are 2GB. There are 4GB cards out there, but I've found that they aren't reliable.

Firmware updating to SDHC capability is possible, but not guaranteed.
                    Ah, that's right, I was thinking SDHC was smaller but I was thinking of Micro SD and Micro SDHC.

I read one place that SD came formatted FAT16 and SDHC came formatted FAT32.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Ah, that's right, I was thinking SDHC was smaller but I was thinking of Micro SD and Micro SDHC.

I read one place that SD came formatted FAT16 and SDHC came formatted FAT32.

I think there is more to it then that, or I would have been able to reformat the one I have set down around this place. This weekend I will be cleaning and trying to find it (need to get rid of some old computer stuff). I picked up one off of Woot, years back, thinking I could reformat it and use it as a Linux drive. More then 2gb seems flaky in multiple readers, as it expects SDHC.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

I think the issue with >2GB cards is that more often than not they don't conform to the standards, which is why there are issues.

Can't wait for SDXC to become widespread. Imagine having your entire movie, music and picture library be able to be stored on a SD card.

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by CocheseUGA

Can't wait for SDXC to become widespread. Imagine having your entire movie, music and picture library be able to be stored on a SD card.
                          Yes, 2TB is a lot of space, but only till the next round movies are created in 3D or some such format, and need 400 GB each !

I remember I gifted my brother a 512mb SD card a few years ago, and he was completely astounded - what a huge volume!
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

I'm only bothering to catalog my non-HD movies. As cheap as storage is now, and will continue to decline, I just can't see throwing a 25-50GB BD on non-optical media. While it would be nice to have them in an instant play capability along with my SD movies, I'll pass for now. I think I'll be picking up a new Apple TV to play the SD stuff.

/threadjack

Comment

• kevinsa
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                              do any of you know where i can get 4GB non-HC SD card? its the old format card. my gps wont read the SD HC cards.

do you know of a site or do you have a 4gb older format card and not using it? it needs to be 4gb in size. 2gb (i've got several) wont hold all the maps....

thanks!
                              I've purchased a ton of stuff from geeks.com over the years. You didn't say if you need standard, mini or micro SD card. They have 2gb standard cards. Those won't be the high capacity type and should be more than big enough for your firmware update. http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=380

Comment

Working...